Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The good news keeps on rolling in
So, today, while I was signing the mortgage application at the credit union, this afternoon, I received a phone call about an interview I had for a new job, yesterday. I was provided a job offer for a new position doing internal control work at the university where I work and it is about a 30% pay increase! This week has been a whirlwind with buying a new house and now a new job. I really can't process everything at this moment and so I have just sat down and cracked open a beer.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
That's great news for sure. Especially given the timing with you buying your first home and happening during the holidays. Seems you are going to have a great new year to look forward to. Congrats and I wish you the best. Enjoy your beer. I'm drinking one for you as well, not that I needed an excuse. :)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 08:11 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, today, while I was signing the mortgage application at the credit union, this afternoon, I received a phone call about an interview I had for a new job, yesterday. I was provided a job offer for a new position doing internal control work at the university where I work and it is about a 30% pay increase! This week has been a whirlwind with buying a new house and now a new job. I really can't process everything at this moment and so I have just sat down and cracked open a beer.

Congratulations. Wait... What kinda beer did you open?

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 08:28 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Congratulations. Wait... What kinda beer did you open?

This is my usual beer to drink.

[Image: nqtZROaO5MXYIxPKC0GEO7Q8AjJ75gsxoehyBG1T...70-h437-no]
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Good deal, maybe you better go play the lottery ?
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 08:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is my usual beer to drink.

[Image: nqtZROaO5MXYIxPKC0GEO7Q8AjJ75gsxoehyBG1T...70-h437-no]

Cheers. Cheers

[Image: 5fc80ad462ab9fd9cfff1bf8d1f88dc2_medium.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 10:05 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Cheers. Cheers

[Image: 5fc80ad462ab9fd9cfff1bf8d1f88dc2_medium.png]

Same parent company! (AB InBev bought the Devil's Backbone brewery a while back).

Reply/Quote
Don't forget to get so drunk that you wake up far too late to get to work on time, get fired and can't make the payments on time leading to your first foray into living in one of those fabulous new homeless shelters... 

To be clear I don't actually wish that on anyone... Well actually there are a few. . They'll remain nameless for the time being. ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 10:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Same parent company! (AB InBev bought the Devil's Backbone brewery a while back).

First, congratulations on the new job.

Now on to the purchase of DB by AB.  You might very well know all of this, this is more for the knowledge of those outside of the Commonwealth.

So the DB purchase was not the typical purchase were a big brewery buys up a craft brewery and assimilates it into their portfolio and calls all the shots.  Devil's Backbone is the flagship of a new AB program where DB is still independent, but AB takes over brewing and distribution to the masses under the direction of the DB brewers.  When AB finished their first run of Vienna Lager, the DB brewers came in and opened one bottle, tasted it, and said "Wrong".  AB destroyed the entire shipment without question because something was just not quite right.

For anyone wondering why DB would be allowed to make those kinds of moves after selling, you should take a trip to DB Base Camp in Roseland, VA.  It is a complex nestled in a small valley with an unreal view of the surrounding mountains with a meadow for camping, a massive stage for music festivals,  two restaurants, a liquor store, and an outfitter/general store for those who are camping in the meadow or in the mountains.  Some of the other breweries in that area (and there are many) are trying to build up similar experiences, but DB's can't be topped.  They still have their original location known as the Outpost in Lexington, VA as well.  I've never been to that one, but definitely will if I end up in that area.

Sorry for hijacking your thread for a bit.  Again, congratulations!
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 07:32 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: First, congratulations on the new job.

Now on to the purchase of DB by AB.  You might very well know all of this, this is more for the knowledge of those outside of the Commonwealth.

So the DB purchase was not the typical purchase were a big brewery buys up a craft brewery and assimilates it into their portfolio and calls all the shots.  Devil's Backbone is the flagship of a new AB program where DB is still independent, but AB takes over brewing and distribution to the masses under the direction of the DB brewers.  When AB finished their first run of Vienna Lager, the DB brewers came in and opened one bottle, tasted it, and said "Wrong".  AB destroyed the entire shipment without question because something was just not quite right.

For anyone wondering why DB would be allowed to make those kinds of moves after selling, you should take a trip to DB Base Camp in Roseland, VA.  It is a complex nestled in a small valley with an unreal view of the surrounding mountains with a meadow for camping, a massive stage for music festivals,  two restaurants, a liquor store, and an outfitter/general store for those who are camping in the meadow or in the mountains.  Some of the other breweries in that area (and there are many) are trying to build up similar experiences, but DB's can't be topped.  They still have their original location known as the Outpost in Lexington, VA as well.  I've never been to that one, but definitely will if I end up in that area.

Sorry for hijacking your thread for a bit.  Again, congratulations!

All good on the hijack. See, I'm a DB fan from when they were founded. Living in the Shenandoah Valley, they really were one of the initial craft brewers here that has sparked such a huge movement in this region. Striped Bass is my go to because I like the flavor and I like that proceeds go to the CBF from the sales of it. But there are plenty more of their beers that make their way to my fridge.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 09:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: All good on the hijack. See, I'm a DB fan from when they were founded. Living in the Shenandoah Valley, they really were one of the initial craft brewers here that has sparked such a huge movement in this region. Striped Bass is my go to because I like the flavor and I like that proceeds go to the CBF from the sales of it. But there are plenty more of their beers that make their way to my fridge.

I've put an 8 Point IPA or two away myself... Pretty damn tasty.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 10:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Same parent company! (AB InBev bought the Devil's Backbone brewery a while back).

That’s interesting. Didn’t know. Craft beer has gained a strong fan base where I live. I’ve tried many but I just can’t get my tastebuds interested. My wife actually likes craft beer more than I do because she loves variety. Although there are some I’ve seen her try that makes her display a very unpleasant look when she hates it. LOL

Of all the beers I’ve drank, Busch Light is crisp and clean tasting which I guess is what my tastebuds enjoy. Plus you get the 30 pack bonus (although, recently while taking a road trip to Gatlinburg, I found out 30 packs are not available everywhere and can only find in 24pk cases).

Reply/Quote
Awesome man. Good to hear.
Reply/Quote
When I bought my first house, I also had a new job that was a 50% increase. The day I closed on the house I also bought a new car. Be careful with your money, make sure you're maxing out any 401K, and move onward!
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 08:11 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, today, while I was signing the mortgage application at the credit union, this afternoon, I received a phone call about an interview I had for a new job, yesterday. I was provided a job offer for a new position doing internal control work at the university where I work and it is about a 30% pay increase! This week has been a whirlwind with buying a new house and now a new job. I really can't process everything at this moment and so I have just sat down and cracked open a beer.

Be careful around the wife....you don't want to end up getting too lucky:

[Image: article-0-1285CC2C000005DC-5_634x441.jpg]
Reply/Quote