Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The good, the bad, and the ugly
The good:

The offensive line: zero sacks. The running game took a hit when Price went down, but that was a hell of an effort on a short week.

Dalton: one mistake, saved by Boyd. Really, really good the rest of the way. Starting to trust his line.

Boyd: He’s starting to look like the second rounder that broke all of Larry Fitzgerald’s records at Pitt. Fluid routes, great hands

Green: All he does is catch touchdowns :)

Mixon: tough running, great determination

The bad:

John Ross needs to settle down with a screen pass or something. He looks too keyed up. I still have high hopes for Jim, though.

The rushing attack needed to respond to the Ravens when they started dropping seven.

The ugly: nothing. But, could Marv learn that his “what will go wrong next” expression is so damn defeatist.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 07:34 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The good:

The offensive line:  zero sacks.  The running game took a hit when Price went down, but that was a hell of an effort on a short week.

Dalton: one mistake, saved by Boyd. Really, really good the rest of the way.  Starting to trust his line.

Boyd:  He’s starting to look like the second rounder that broke all of Larry Fitzgerald’s records at Pitt.  Fluid routes, great hands

Green:  All he does is catch touchdowns :)

Mixon:  tough running, great determination

The bad:

John Ross needs to settle down with a screen pass or something.  He looks too keyed up.  I still have high hopes for Jim, though.

The rushing attack needed to respond to the Ravens when they started dropping seven.  

The ugly:  nothing.  But, could Marv learn that his “what will go wrong next” expression is so damn defeatist.

The bengals looked hot on primetime.  Thats pretty cool. 

I was impressed with the offensive lines intensity.  They played very well and were beating up the opposition for a change. Was fun to watch.  The uptempo offensive scheme should stay. 

The only negative thing ill add is the lbers coverage of the middle check downs was pretty terrible, along with the subsequent tackling of said check down.. 

I know its still early but this team looks like a division winner so far. Yeah we came out looking like crap vs indy, but we came out in the second half (gasp, halftime adjustments?!!!?!!) and dominated for a win. This team is looking good
Reply/Quote
The Good

Defense - The pass rush looked like what I was expecting in game one and didn't see. Geno was a beast, Dunlap was disruptive as hell and the secondary played very well when in man coverage. Sam Hubbard was a steal. Backup LBers played a nice game (for being backups). Kirkpatrick has really surprised me this year. Last year he was our 4th best CB. Now he's playing fast and his coverage has improved quite a bit.

Offense - Boyd and Green were unstoppable. Mixon was tough. OL did a decent job. Play calling was better than we are use to with some really nice play designs.

Overall the team played with some guts in prime time! The team showed a new attitude and responded to adversity by playing with their heads in the game. Boyd's deflection of the sure interception was one of those plays that a winner makes. Another one of those was Williams forced fumble. Another one was Dunlap's harassing Flacco all the time and forcing the interception. Another one, that no one is mentioning, was when Dennard blew up a play meant for Lamar Jackson and Jackson was simply a non-factor. The team seems like it is better prepared than I've seen in a very long time.

The Bad (minor and nitpicking)

Eifert had too many drops for a guy with good hands, but he was targeted. The coaches let the Ravens back in the game at the end of the first half.

The Ugly

Ross just looks lost out there. Hart is still not good even though he didn't give up a sack.

Price's injury. Mixon is going to miss some games. Kirkpatrick and Williams left the game late with injuries and no news on them. This team needs all these guys to win tough games.

Reply/Quote
The Good
The Bengals

The Bad
Billy Price Injury

The Ugly
Terrell Suggs(dude is one ugly man but a hell of a football player)
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
The Good:

Guys are motivated and not only do they believe in themselves, they believe in this team. This can easily be detected by the pursuit by S. Williams on Flacco to force a fumble, Dre K playing his heart out, A.J. Fighting for 3 TDS and the Lisa goes on and on.

The Bad:

We still have things to work on. AJ has some issues with ball control, Ross needs to calm down and focus (still just a kid).

The Ugly:

Injuries. We’re not in bad shape but could easily travel to the dark side. However, to play as fired up as these guys are playing, your gonna have them. Only alternative would be to go to conservative play. We don’t want to live there anymore. Plus, the players know to be the best is to be lethal. These guys are on fire.

Reply/Quote
The good - Michael Johnson getting injured so Bengals are forced to replace him. I'm sure Hubbard will be back on the bench though when MJ gets healthy. Line of
Lawson-Hubbard-Atkins-Dunlap was getting after it.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 07:34 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The good:

The offensive line:  zero sacks.  The running game took a hit when Price went down, but that was a hell of an effort on a short week.

Dalton: one mistake, saved by Boyd. Really, really good the rest of the way.  Starting to trust his line.

Boyd:  He’s starting to look like the second rounder that broke all of Larry Fitzgerald’s records at Pitt.  Fluid routes, great hands

Green:  All he does is catch touchdowns :)

Mixon:  tough running, great determination

The bad:

John Ross needs to settle down with a screen pass or something.  He looks too keyed up.  I still have high hopes for Jim, though.

The ugly:  nothing.  But, could Marv learn that his “what will go wrong next” expression is so damn defeatist.

I'd add they let them come back from 21 points down to the bad.....
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 12:43 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: The good - Michael Johnson getting injured so Bengals are forced to replace him.   

I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to post my feelings on this post..... :paul:
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 08:08 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: The bengals looked hot on primetime.  Thats pretty cool. 

I was impressed with the offensive lines intensity.  They played very well and were beating up the opposition for a change. Was fun to watch.  The uptempo offensive scheme should stay. 

The only negative thing ill add is the lbers coverage of the middle check downs was pretty terrible, along with the subsequent tackling of said check down.. 

I know its still early but this team looks like a division winner so far. Yeah we came out looking like crap vs indy, but we came out in the second half (gasp, halftime adjustments?!!!?!!) and dominated for a win. This team is looking good

Yep.  I wasn't going to call it bad or ugly because it isn't just the scheme but human nature when up three TDs that they start to just prevent a quick score.  Not saying they are playing total prevent, but they just back off a bit in coverage to not give up anything over the top.

Dennard and Dre had really good moments in that middle coverage but the LBs, as you said, still always look a step behind.  Vigil is doing better, and I think this playing time for Evans is invaluable.

When Burfict returns, and gets in game shape, his instincts should go a long way to helping this seemingly only issue on defense. 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 08:33 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The Good

Defense - The pass rush looked like what I was expecting in game one and didn't see. Geno was a beast, Dunlap was disruptive as hell and the secondary played very well when in man coverage. Sam Hubbard was a steal. Backup LBers played a nice game (for being backups). Kirkpatrick has really surprised me this year. Last year he was our 4th best CB. Now he's playing fast and his coverage has improved quite a bit.

Offense - Boyd and Green were unstoppable. Mixon was tough. OL did a decent job. Play calling was better than we are use to with some really nice play designs.

Overall the team played with some guts in prime time! The team showed a new attitude and responded to adversity by playing with their heads in the game. Boyd's deflection of the sure interception was one of those plays that a winner makes. Another one of those was Williams forced fumble. Another one was Dunlap's harassing Flacco all the time and forcing the interception. Another one, that no one is mentioning, was when Dennard blew up a play meant for Lamar Jackson and Jackson was simply a non-factor. The team seems like it is better prepared than I've seen in a very long time.

The Bad (minor and nitpicking)

Eifert had too many drops for a guy with good hands, but he was targeted. The coaches let the Ravens back in the game at the end of the first half.

The Ugly

Ross just looks lost out there. Hart is still not good even though he didn't give up a sack.

Price's injury. Mixon is going to miss some games. Kirkpatrick and Williams left the game late with injuries and no news on them. This team needs all these guys to win tough games.

You are absolutely correct.  And those plays (Dunlap's did...Dennard's very well could have) were potentially game-changing turnovers.  The defense is making big plays and not always Geno or Dunlap.  Hubbard just has a nose for the QB, and that guy is going to be a huge asset moving forward.  Willis and Lawson didn't get sacks, but they sure were getting a lot of pressure.  

I am not ready to wave middle fingers at the national pundits that called the Bengals a 4-12 team, but this sure is fun so far.  If they can get even one of the next two and finish the first quarter at 3-1, they will be in great position for a post season run.  
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 09:54 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: The Good:

Guys are motivated and not only do they believe in themselves, they believe in this team. This can easily be detected by the pursuit by S. Williams on Flacco to force a fumble, Dre K playing his heart out, A.J. Fighting for 3 TDS and the Lisa goes on and on.

The Bad:

We still have things to work on. AJ has some issues with ball control, Ross needs to calm down and focus (still just a kid).

The Ugly:

Injuries. We’re not in bad shape but could easily travel to the dark side. However, to play as fired up as these guys are playing, your gonna have them. Only alternative would be to go to conservative play. We don’t want to live there anymore. Plus, the players know to be the best is to be lethal. These guys are on fire.

Good stuff, Doggy....You are dead on about the energy (in the last 6 quarters) and the attitude (confidence?  Wow...forgot what that was).  

And you are also right about Lisa.  She could go on and on....damn, I miss her. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 12:43 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: The good - Michael Johnson getting injured so Bengals are forced to replace him.   I'm sure Hubbard will be back on the bench though when MJ gets healthy.   Line of

Classless.  MJ may not be a terror off the edge, but he helps with the rotation at also provides some pass rush from the middle on certain downs.  
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 09:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to post my feelings on this post..... :paul:

I did.  Banhammer twirling?  Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh....

STILL want that emoji
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 09:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I did.  Banhammer twirling?  Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh....

STILL want that emoji

You were nicer than I would be..... ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 09:37 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You were nicer than I would be..... ThumbsUp

Well, I did call for the banhammer...or at least a warning  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 12:43 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: The good - Michael Johnson getting injured so Bengals are forced to replace him.   I'm sure Hubbard will be back on the bench though when MJ gets healthy.   Line of

Ahem..

While not a direct violation of the Code of Conduct, we at the Bengals Board do not look favorably upon celebrating injuries.  Especially when it's one of our own players.  While this injury might turn out to be a blessing in disguise for other players to get more snaps, let's not forget that MJ is a valued and respected member of the Bengals.  Not only has he given his all to the team on the field, he's a first class citizen and role model, not to mention one heck of a positive influence in the locker room.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

I am glad the young guys are getting more snaps. I did not want Michael Johnson to get injured to achieve that scenario.
Reply/Quote