Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The hourly rate you need to afford a two-bedroom apartment in every state
(06-08-2016, 12:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: Nope.  I explained a scenario where one "renter" or "worker" could need a two bedroom apartment.

People getting raises doesn't affect inflation...unless its minimum wage.  Got it.

Not really, because the amount of population it effects is minimal. I go back to, have you ever studied economics.
(06-08-2016, 12:38 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Wrong.

Seriously, though, you're wrong. This is what I asked:

A single parent is NOT a single person (you know what I mean). A widow or widower IS, but you have yet to explain why he or she would look to live in a 2-bedroom apartment.

Single parent, single income, blah blah blah.

Singles parents get government assistance (if they're not making enough $) and/or child support.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-08-2016, 12:40 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Single parent, single income, blah blah blah.

Singles parents get government assistance (if they're not making enough $) and/or child support.

Which means some don't.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Is a minimum wage job a career, or a stepping stone?
(06-08-2016, 12:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: Which means some don't.

Which means they can afford a 2 person apartment.
(06-08-2016, 12:45 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Which means they can afford a 2 person apartment.

Unless they don't make enough where they live.

As my one friend always said "There are no absolutes."

Mellow
(06-08-2016, 12:45 PM)Beaker Wrote: Is a minimum wage job a career, or a stepping stone?

It's supposed to be a stepping stone, but liberals want to make it a career.
(06-08-2016, 12:45 PM)Beaker Wrote: Is a minimum wage job a career, or a stepping stone?

should be a stepping stone

but some use it as a career and then complain they are getting paid bare minimum for a job that requires bare minimum skill
People suck
(06-08-2016, 12:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: Unless they don't make enough where they live.

Mellow

You're friends with Obi Wan Kenobi?  Ninja
Can someone that is in favor of raising minimum wage tell me why not raise it to $20 or $25 an hour or more?

Sadly it has become what a lot of people can find in today's economics.

I can't tell you how long my dad worked for minimum wage after his factory got shut down.  He did what he had to do....for a long time.

We struggled a good bit.

If I had to find a job right now I'd have to take a tremendous cut in pay just to work at all in this area.

Life ain't fair.  But that doesn't mean we can just ignore it.
(06-08-2016, 11:27 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Why is a single person looking to live in a 2-bedroom apartment and pay the whole rent?

Do you have any idea how hard is it to get laid in your 30s when you bring your date back to your studio apartment with the kitchen in your bedroom?
(06-08-2016, 12:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: Unless they don't make enough where they live.

Mellow

you can get government assistance then. Section 8 isn't based off of a set income. It's based on the average income of your county or city. So, if you can't get section 8 it's because you're trying to get a too luxurious 2 bedroom apartment.
(06-08-2016, 12:47 PM)PhilHos Wrote: It's supposed to be a stepping stone, but liberals want to make it a career.

That line of thinking might have lost its relevance when this country decided to stop making things and turn into a massive "service industry."
(06-08-2016, 12:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That line of thinking might have lost its relevance when this country decided to stop making things and turn into a massive "service industry."

That is part of being in a world economy. We can acquire things for cheaper else where.
(06-08-2016, 12:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Do you have any idea how hard is it to get laid in your 30s when you bring your date back to your studio apartment with the kitchen in your bedroom?

If you can afford to date a woman, then certainly you can afford a 2 bedroom apartment.  Mellow
(06-08-2016, 01:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: That is part of being in a world economy. We can acquire things for cheaper else where.

That's all well and good, but with that change might come the change that minimum wage service positions become careers far more than they did before.  I haven't been in the sort of service sector for a while but between semesters of college some of my friends worked in fast food and some of us (myself included) took summer positions at the extrusion plant where our fathers worked.

Neither job was rocket science, but we made almost twice as much per hour being in dangerous, hot, noisy, and carcinogen-filled environments.  So, there was always that sort of option when you needed to free up for minimum wage job for some teen.  I'm not saying things need to go back to that way (my hometown is almost humorously stuffed with empty factories), but we need to readjust our views of work as the nature of work changes.

(06-08-2016, 01:11 PM)PhilHos Wrote: If you can afford to date a woman, then certainly you can afford a 2 bedroom apartment.  Mellow

Ah, I see how it is.  Take out a loan to get a 2 bedroom apartment and impress women enough that they might want to move in and make it a dual-income abode.  Clever!
And despite all the attempts at individual examples the facts are wages have been stagnant while the prices and costs have been increasing.

Not just minimum wages.
(06-08-2016, 01:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's all well and good, but with that change might come the change that minimum wage service positions become careers far more than they did before.  I haven't been in the sort of service sector for a while but between semesters of college some of my friends worked in fast food and some of us (myself included) took summer positions at the extrusion plant where our fathers worked.

Neither job was rocket science, but we made almost twice as much per hour being in dangerous, hot, noisy, and carcinogen-filled environments.  So, there was always that sort of option when you needed to free up for minimum wage job for some teen.  I'm not saying things need to go back to that way (my hometown is almost humorously stuffed with empty factories), but we need to readjust our views of work as the nature of work changes.

You make the assumption that the way it was before was right. Technology helped eliminate a lot of jobs, and honestly will eliminate more before it's said and done. McDonald's is trying out order taking kiosks. Machines can do dumb repetitive jobs for far less. If people are unwilling to learn skills or even the personal scales to sell the technology replacing them, then there isn't a ton we as a society can do about it. We should help those though that want to be helped through continuing education.
(06-08-2016, 01:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: And despite all the attempts at individual examples the facts are wages have been stagnant while the prices and costs have been increasing.

Not just minimum wages.

You do realize that more things than just minimum wage effects inflation, right?