Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The importence and impact of a rookie d-player and reaching playoffs.
Odell Thurman 5 INTS 1 SACK.numerous forced fumbles. INT RETURN
VS TITANS THAT MAY HAVE TURNED THE SEASON.
result. AFC North title.

2012 Vontaze Burfict. steps in after Thomas Howards tragic death.
I think he was in the top 10 in tackles that year. top 10 in tackle %
within 4 yds of the LOS.
absolute monster.
result 10-6. Wild card.

2018. Darius Leonard Colts. LB
incredible playmaker for the Colts defense.
result. Playoffs.

I can name other players like JJ Watt, that MLB for the Falcons Jones.
Jalen Ramsey Jags...playoffs his rookie year.
point being that when teams make the playoffs,you will find a rookie defensive
player who makes impact plays during the year.and he really becomes
a tone setter for the defense.
This year the Bengals need a big time year from Pratt or Wren to help
get this defense to another level.
almost need a guy that has some swagger on D thats not afraid to get
into the heads of the offense.
look it up yourself.playoff teams and a real rookie igniter on defense.
Reply/Quote
I'd love to see a rookie make a huge impact, and Pratt is the obvious choice considering he looks to be stepping into a starting spot, but we have a number of young players who could take their game to another level next year.  many players improve a lot from their rookie to second season

Sam Hubbard was 1st among all rookie d-linemen in sacks and third in tackles.  He could go from 6 sacks to 12+, especially considering he will get a lot more snaps with MJ gone.

Carl Lawson was not getting a lot of sacks last year (only 1), but he was getting a lot of pressure.  The Next Gen stats that NFL.com uses are very interesting.  Their pass rush success rate is based on beating the block in 2.5 seconds.  Lawson was ranked third in the league in that stat when he went down with injury.  He could go from 1 sack to 12+.

Jessie Bates led all rookie DBs in tackles and was 2nd in interceptions.  If he continues to develop he could be a Pro Bowl level player.

And Wren was a 4th round pick, but so were Geno Atkins, Domata Peko, and Robert Geathers.  Renell is actually a long shot to be a top NFL player, and the success of prior 4th round D-linemen have zero impact on what he will do.  But I still feel like he has a chance to be a good one.
Reply/Quote
We need Bobby Bouchet!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think Wren can be a real wrecking machine.I expect him to either start be part of a serious rotation at DT.
he simply has things you cant teach.
radius, height. maybe he can play some DE...who knows?
Pratt to me can be this years Darius Leonard.
under the radar draft pick.
but by years end all hes done is made play on top
of plays.
I just know in recent history defensive rookies
that come and really rattle the cage it bodes well for his
teams playoff chances.
I Shawn Merrimans rookie year the Chargers were a playoff team.
LT with the Giants. AJ Duhe with the Dolphins in the early 80s.
Don Rogers with the Browns in 85.
I like Hubbard. Id like to see a real tenacious streak to him.
play with venom and bite.
great hometown kid playing for a team he grew up with.
no go be a game changer.
Reply/Quote
It seems like we always have 2-3 DT's on the roster that people think have serious potential...but never really seem to be Good players.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 03:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It seems like we always have 2-3 DT's on the roster that people think have serious potential...but never really seem to be Good players.

Wren is the 1st DT in along time the Bengsls have drafted
with his physical makeup.
guys in the past have been big but with lower center of gravity.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 02:41 PM)impactplaya Wrote: 2005.
result. AFC North title.

within 4 yds of the LOS.
absolute monster.
result 10-6. Wild card.

result. Playoffs.

Kind of wild that Pratt reminds me a lot of Leonard. Pratt should get every opportunity with his ability to cover and tackle. He is a 3 down Linebacker and can play every spot. Wren has Suh upside but he needs to learn how to use his hands better, bottom line these guys need good coaching. We will see how the coaches get these guys up to speed.
Reply/Quote
When the Falcons made the SB a couple years ago, they had a lot of rookie and young starters on defense.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 06:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When the Falcons made the SB a couple years ago, they had a lot of rookie and young starters on defense.

That defense was ridiculously young.  And one of their biggest stars was a second year player who had made a huge step up from his rookie season.  Vic Beasley went from 4 sacks to 15.5.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 07:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That defense was ridiculously young.  And one of their biggest stars was a second year player who had made a huge step up from his rookie season.  Vic Beasley went from 4 sacks to 15.5.

They started 4 rookies and 4 2nd year players. They were actually 27 in scoring defense, but kept improving as the year went on and could generate turnovers too. They allowed 20 or less points in 4 of their last 6 games.

I do think the 15.5 sacks from Beasley was a key too. You put a guy like that on a defense and it's huge!
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 02:41 PM)impactplaya Wrote: 2005.
result. AFC North title.

within 4 yds of the LOS.
absolute monster.
result 10-6. Wild card.

result. Playoffs.

Burfict didn't come in for Howard because of that. It was due to Howard's injury to his ACL. Howard didn't pass away until Nov 2013. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 11:04 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Burfict didn't come in for Howard because of that. It was due to Howard's injury to his ACL. Howard didn't pass away until Nov 2013. 

Im corrected. 
but I think its imperative a rookie or 2nd yr defender just plays out of his mind this year.
just dominates and makes really game changing plays
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 03:51 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Wren is the 1st DT in along time the Bengsls have drafted
with his physical makeup.
guys in the past have been big but with lower center of gravity.

I liked what Lap said about the DL coach - Eason.   He said he is very intense, a teacher and let people know what he expected - regardless of who they were.

Would love it if he is able to take the D Line to a new level, and get significant production out of Wren
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 12:22 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Im corrected. 
but I think its imperative a rookie or 2nd yr defender just plays out of his mind this year.

Sam Hubbard...
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 12:22 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Im corrected. 

Absolutely. It’s imperative that more of these young guys in their rookie contracts start blossoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 01:00 PM)3wt Wrote: I liked what Lap said about the DL coach - Eason.   He said he is very intense, a teacher and let people know what he expected - regardless of who they were.

Would love it if he is able to take the D Line to a new level, and get significant production out of Wren

Great to hear about Eason, i have been saying that Tem the LB coach may be the most underrated hire but it could be Eason as well.

Glad to hear he is very intense, also liked what Lap said about Kerry Wynn the End we got from the Giants, said he is long and reminds him of Eddie Edwards. Knew Wynn was a good run stopper but it sure would be nice if he has some bend to him and can get to the QB.

Should be an upgrade over the walking tree...

(05-22-2019, 02:08 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Sam Hubbard...

He should be starting at RE this year so Hubbard should have every opportunity to improve even more this season from his rookie year. Don't ever forget about Bates either who was great as a rookie and could just grow this season. We have a lot of young talented players on Defense, just need our guys to stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 12:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great to hear about Eason, i have been saying that Tem the LB coach may be the most underrated hire but it could be Eason as well.

Glad to hear he is very intense, also liked what Lap said about Kerry Wynn the End we got from the Giants, said he is long and reminds him of Eddie Edwards. Knew Wynn was a good run stopper but it sure would be nice if he has some bend to him and can get to the QB.

Should be an upgrade over the walking tree...

He should be starting at RE this year so Hubbard should have every opportunity to improve even more this season from his rookie year. Don't ever forget about Bates either who was great as a rookie and could just grow this season. We have a lot of young talented players on Defense, just need our guys to stay healthy.

Yeah that got my attention as well.   If he's close to Edwards he'll be a really solid player.

And I like the idea that AJ Green said we are going to surprise some people his year.   I know it's that rose glasses time of year.   But I'm a little more excited than I thought I'd be.  Can't wait to get rolling!
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 03:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It seems like we always have 2-3 DT's on the roster that people think have serious potential...but never really seem to be Good players.

Bengals d-lineman taken in the 4th round of the draft since 2000:
Carl Lawson (looks to be the real deal, just needs to get healthy again)
Andrew Billings (maybe not great, but was the Bengals most improved player last year according to PFF iirc)
Geno Atkins (potential Hall of Famer)
Domata Peko (long time starter and defensive leader of the team)
Robert Geathers (pretty good career as a Bengal)

So many people said "the next Matthias Askew" when we took him, but why focus on the one 4th round d-lineman we missed on when we've had all those successes listed above? I didn't even mention Ryan Glasgow and a lot of people like him, too. They seem to know what they're doing finding DL talent down there, so I'm hopeful when it comes to Wren.

That said, if I'm looking for a rookie on D to make the biggest difference it'll be Pratt.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 02:07 PM)3wt Wrote: Yeah that got my attention as well.   If he's close to Edwards he'll be a really solid player.

And I like the idea that AJ Green said we are going to surprise some people his year.   I know it's that rose glasses time of year.   But I'm a little more excited than I thought I'd be.  Can't wait to get rolling!

Was very high praise, might be an underrated signing in Wynn.

Should be better on both sides of the ball going off the fact we had a Defensive minded HC last season, a terrible DC, a terrible LB coach and a bunch of injuries and still won 6 games. Hard for me to not see us winning more with an Offensive minded HC, a new DC, a new LB coach if we stay a little more healthy.

(05-28-2019, 11:08 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Bengals d-lineman taken in the 4th round of the draft since 2000:
Carl Lawson (looks to be the real deal, just needs to get healthy again)
Andrew Billings (maybe not great, but was the Bengals most improved player last year according to PFF iirc)
Geno Atkins (potential Hall of Famer)
Domata Peko (long time starter and defensive leader of the team)
Robert Geathers (pretty good career as a Bengal)

So many people said "the next Matthias Askew" when we took him, but why focus on the one 4th round d-lineman we missed on when we've had all those successes listed above? I didn't even mention Ryan Glasgow and a lot of people like him, too. They seem to know what they're doing finding DL talent down there, so I'm hopeful when it comes to Wren.

That said, if I'm looking for a rookie on D to make the biggest difference it'll be Pratt.

Yes, we have always done pretty well drafting D-lineman in the 4th round.

True with Pratt, he is definately the front runner for our rookie difference maker on Defense.
Reply/Quote