Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The irony if Sample becomes what Zac thinks he will
The Steelers traded up to get Bush. They gave up their second rounder(52) this year to the Broncos. The Bengals got that second rounder from the Broncos and selected Sample. All the naysayers should pull for this pick to succeed. We can rub this in Steelers fans faces for years to come.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:14 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The Steelers traded up to get Bush. They gave up their second rounder(52) this year to the Broncos. The Bengals got that second rounder from the Broncos and selected Sample. All the naysayers should pull for this pick to succeed. We can rub this in Steelers fans faces for years to come.

Sample is probably not going to be a flashy player, but if he provides consistent,solid blocking, then that pick was worth it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:17 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Sample is probably not going to be a flashy player, but if he provides consistent,solid blocking, then that pick was worth it.

Wonder how much time Sample will spend blocking Devin Bush.

And if his hands are what they say,  he might end up being a bargain.  Red zone, middle of the field, safety valve, first down maker.   Just be out there being big and reliable.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I understand the interest in “rubbing this in Steelers faces” but I for one just want to, oh I don’t know, beat them, not rub a 2019 second round pick in their faces. Moral victories are for losers. The Bengals and their fans need to rise above it.

This “New Dey” needs to be about winning and the first goal is to win the division. Learning how to beat the Steelers is imperative to that first goal. If drew sample turns out to be good he will be an important piece that helps us with our goals. When we start achieving goals, then, and only then, we might maybe possibly look into rubbing things in.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:14 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The Steelers traded up to get Bush. They gave up their second rounder(52) this year to the Broncos. The Bengals got that second rounder from the Broncos and selected Sample. All the naysayers should pull for this pick to succeed. We can rub this in Steelers fans faces for years to come.

I think over the years the biggest story will be the Steeler's traded in front of the Bengals, costing them 2nd and 3rd round picks, then passed on a great Tackle Williams.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:28 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I understand the interest in “rubbing this in Steelers faces” but I for one just want to, oh I don’t know, beat them, not rub a 2019 second round pick in their faces. Moral victories are for losers. The Bengals and their fans need to rise above it.

This “New Dey” needs to be about winning and the first goal is to win the division. Learning how to beat the Steelers is imperative to that first goal. If drew sample turns out to be good he will be an important piece that helps us with our goals. When we start achieving goals, then, and only then, we might maybe possibly look into rubbing things in.

Wow, you mean we can't talk winning smack until we actually win. That is epic advice.  Smirk Tongue

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:28 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I understand the interest in “rubbing this in Steelers faces” but I for one just want to, oh I don’t know, beat them, not rub a 2019 second round pick in their faces. Moral victories are for losers. The Bengals and their fans need to rise above it.

You don't think beating the Steelers and just winning in general right up to and including the SB as the main set of goals just goes without saying?

Not to speak for the OP but I believe the intent was to celebrate what would be a sweet irony, induce a well deserved smile or two.  Lighten up, Francis.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:33 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think over the years the biggest story will be the Steeler's traded in front of the Bengals, costing them 2nd and 3rd round picks, then passed on a great Tackle Williams.

You don’t need a great OT when your team is allowed to hold with impunity...

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Wow, you mean we can't talk winning smack until we actually win. That is epic advice.  Smirk Tongue

I mean, people can do whatever they want. But I would never encourage 2019 draft pick smack as the go to form. To each their own.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:42 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I mean, people can do whatever they want. But I would never encourage 2019 draft pick smack as the go to form. To each their own.

I agree and was just messing around.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You don’t need a great OT when your team is allowed to hold with impunity...

Sad, but true. They can run 50 pass plays and not one holding call. It is a toss up between with Pats on getting every homer call (and on road) known to man.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:38 PM)McC Wrote: You don't think beating the Steelers and just winning in general right up to and including the SB as the main set of goals just goes without saying?

Not to speak for the OP but I believe the intent was to celebrate what would be a sweet irony, induce a well deserved smile or two.  Lighten up, Francis.

I said I understand it, I just happen to think it’s stupid. Put me under the category of being tired of bengals fans being enamored with the Steelers. I’m not mad or upset about what you or the OP are posting, I just simply have a different opinion. Forgive me for using a message board where people post their opinions as my platform.

Reply/Quote
I don't think it is just Taylor that holds Sample in much higher regard than the "experts". I believe those paid to be in football circles feel about him much like Taylor does.
Reply/Quote
I'm fairly certain Sample is going to be a great player for us.

In regards to catching passes and being a complete TE, look at San Francisco's George Kittle's college stats.

2013 (FR) - 5 rec, 108 yards
2014 (SO) - 1 rec 25 yards
2015 (JR) - 20 rec 290 yards, 6TDs
2016 (SR) - 22rec, 314 yards, 4 TDs
2017 (ROOKIE) - 43 rec, 515 yards, 2TDs
2018 - 88 rec, 1,377 yards, 5TDs

It isn't unheard of for a blocking TE to become a receiving threat.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:17 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Sample is probably not going to be a flashy player, but if he provides consistent,solid blocking, then that pick was worth it.

Can we stop pretending like this guy is just a blocker? he's a really good all-around TE who can do it all.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I'm fairly certain Sample is going to be a great player for us.

In regards to catching passes and being a complete TE, look at San Francisco's George Kittle's college stats.

And he was taken in the 5th round...

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I'm fairly certain Sample is going to be a great player for us.

He is already a receiving threat. He was in a scheme that under utilized the TE position and a QB that really just was not that good.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And he was taken in the 5th round...

Not arguing we couldn't take him later.
Reply/Quote
I look at Drew Sample as an extra offensive lineman who is always eligible to catch passes.
Reply/Quote
George Kittle Draft Profile:

OVERVIEW
Kittle's Hawkeyes ties are strong, as his father, Bruce, was a co-captain on Iowa's 1982 Rose Bowl team. One cousin, Jess Settles, was an excellent basketball player for Iowa in the mid-nineties and another is former Iowa and current Denver Broncos tight end Henry Kreiger-Coble. Kittle redshirted in 2012, played in a reserve role in 2013 (5-108 receiving) and 2014 (1-25 receiving). He shared playing time in 2015, starting six of 14 games, catching 20 passes for 290 yards and a team-high six receiving touchdowns. Kittle was an honorable mention All-Big Ten pick last season (11 starts, 22-314, four TD), even though he was limited by a foot injury the second half of the year.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Has broad shoulders and waist with a durable frame. Plays in pro-style attack and approaches blocking like an offensive lineman. Comes off the ball with good pad level and strikes with leverage and hands inside opponent's frame. Blocks with good technique and has footwork to get to reach blocks and combos. Hands are confident and sure with just one drop against 48 catches. Able to make sudden body adjustments to poorly thrown balls. Flashes vertical speed to become a seam worker. Physical runner after the catch with more wiggle than you would expect.

WEAKNESSES Patterns are inconsistent and he rarely tilts defenders at the top of his routes. Could generate better separation with improved route leverage. Route breaks can be too easy to decipher. Plays fast but seems to be missing separation burst coming out of his breaks. Needs to work back to the ball harder in space. Allows defenders a pathway to the throw rather than sealing them out of the passing lane. Has tendency to keep weight too far forward as run blocker creating opportunity for defender to pull him off-balance.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 4

NFL COMPARISON Charles Clay

BOTTOM LINE H-back type who lacks the desired size for in-line blocking but certainly has the technique and willingness to do it. He has good hands and flashes an ability to challenge as a pass catcher on all three levels. Kittle has the athleticism and blocking ability to become an effective move tight end if paired in the right system.
Reply/Quote