Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The irony if Sample becomes what Zac thinks he will
(04-28-2019, 01:46 PM)Mobster Wrote: People are just acting like he's some one-dimensional player like Reggie Kelly who's a glorified extra lineman. He's dar from that.

I don't know if I'm the only one here who actually watches Pac 12 games (since I'm an Arizona State fan), but every time I turned on the Pac 12 Network and watched Washington, the commentators talked about this guy. He'd make a couple great plays in the passing game and they'd mention the only reason he gets overlooked as one of the elite TEs is because he's not utilized much in their offense, but they'd also talk about how NFL scouts are well aware of him and how he projects as a prototyical NFL TE that is a rare commodity these days

That's all true and I expect Sample to be a good all-round TE for the Bengals, but Sample himself puts great emphasis on his blocking prowess. He said he would rather make a great block that springs a TD, over catching a TD. That's a guy who takes tremendous pride in blocking. He also stated that he was basically a 6th offensive lineman in high school, playing in the triple option, and that's where his love for blocking came from.

So, while it's true that he brings many other things to the table and isn't simply a one dimensional player, it's not wrong for people to really focus on his blocking talent, because he makes it a point of focus himself.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:17 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Sample is probably not going to be a flashy player, but if he provides consistent,solid blocking, then that pick was worth it.

(04-28-2019, 12:22 PM)McC Wrote: Wonder how much time Sample will spend blocking Devin Bush.

And if his hands are what they say,  he might end up being a bargain.  Red zone, middle of the field, safety valve, first down maker.   Just be out there being big and reliable.

That's what I think

Sample probably isn't going to light up the stats board. But his receptions could well be those real back breakers on 3rd and mid range, red zone etc. The guy blocks, blocks, blocks and just kinda disappears until BOOM uh oh !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:44 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: And the QB has nothing to do with winning or losing? 

The guy who drove us 80 yards in less than 2 miunutes for the go-ahead td with less than a minute to play?

Yeah, lets hang that loss on him.  He only had a 90+ rating with 2 tds and zero turnovers.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 03:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The guy who drove us 80 yards in less than 2 miunutes for the go-ahead td with less than a minute to play?

Yeah, lets hang that loss on him.  He only had a 90+ rating with 2 tds and zero turnovers.

What memorable thing did he do in the other 11 games? Two TDs in how many positions. How about when we were about to go up two scores in 2015 and he not only throws an interception but also breaking his thumb making the tackle basically ruining the teams season?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That's what I think

Sample probably isn't going to light up the stats board. But his receptions could well be those real back breakers on 3rd and mid range, red zone etc. The guy blocks, blocks, blocks and just kinda disappears until BOOM uh oh !

Most likely...but nobody really knows on any of these guys. In college, they might block Pro caliber guys 2 games a year. In the Pros it's the best every week. Time will tell.
Reply/Quote
We sacrificed a WR for Sample, I really, really, really hope he works out for us.

Green (getting old) and Boyd, after them two there is nothing. IF one goes down. We will have to rely on our TE and our receiving RBs like Mixon and Bernard. Unfortunately our WR corps is lacking really bad. Ross will not be the receiver we need him to be.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:14 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Yeah excuse me for using the same reason you use to take the SO_CALLED moral high ground. BTW I still think it would be ironic.

You’re excused.

Reply/Quote
Can we at least wait until training camp before reaching conclusions about this team? It is a whole new coaching staff with different schemes. Lets see how Dalton and gang look during preseason then panic if necessary.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 01:02 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Can we at least wait until training camp before reaching conclusions about this team?  It is a whole new coaching staff with different schemes.  Lets see how Dalton and gang look during preseason then panic if necessary.

Oh C'mon..You're suggesting reason here. This is thebengalsboard..or have you forgotten our birthrights to complain about every and anything?

I happen to agree with you, but I'm usually way out in left field anyway.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:06 PM)Mobster Wrote: Can we stop pretending like this guy is just a blocker? he's a really good all-around TE who can do it all.

Thats why thethe coaches wanted  him.  He is considered very, very versatile and can open up a lot of play possibilities on the field.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/bengals-news-new-cincinnati-oc-explains-why-team-made-surprise-pick-of-drew-sample-at-no-52/amp/
[img]http://[Image: power-rangers-dinozords-ranking-tigerzor...mhpcjr.jpg][/img]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There seems to be an obsession on this board to strain to find things to one up the Steelers on. Why don't we just start actually beating them on the field?

I doubt that they will care that the pick they traded ended up with the Bengals and the Bengals drafted a TE projected to be a 4th Round pick with it...even if he does turn into a decent starter.

BEAT THE STEELERS ON THE FIELD.

What if the Bengals beat the Steelers, knocking them out of a playoff spot, on a last second TD catch by Drew Sample?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:28 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I understand the interest in “rubbing this in Steelers faces” but I for one just want to, oh I don’t know, beat them, not rub a 2019 second round pick in their faces. Moral victories are for losers. The Bengals and their fans need to rise above it.

This “New Dey” needs to be about winning and the first goal is to win the division. Learning how to beat the Steelers is imperative to that first goal. If drew sample turns out to be good he will be an important piece that helps us with our goals. When we start achieving goals, then, and only then, we might maybe possibly look into rubbing things in.

True, but atleast we don't have a lifetime Steelers fan as our Head Coach anymore. Also find it interesting that the exact Pro player Sample reminds me of is Heath Miller, i hope Sample does the same to them that Miller did to us all those years.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: That's all true and I expect Sample to be a good all-round TE for the Bengals, but Sample himself puts great emphasis on his blocking prowess. He said he would rather make a great block that springs a TD, over catching a TD. That's a guy who takes tremendous pride in blocking. He also stated that he was basically a 6th offensive lineman in high school, playing in the triple option, and that's where his love for blocking came from.

So, while it's true that he brings many other things to the table and isn't simply a one dimensional player, it's not wrong for people to really focus on his blocking talent, because he makes it a point of focus himself.

This is a statement pick then and just keeps getting better by the minute. You win games in the trenches and for him to say things like this is what you want to hear from your players. It is unselfish and it builds the culture of winning. Hearing all the right things from Taylor and his players, i am really excited about the future brother.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:17 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Sample is probably not going to be a flashy player, but if he provides consistent,solid blocking, then that pick was worth it.

He'll need to contribute at least a few hundred yards and a handful of TDs too. No TE is worth a 2nd round pick nowadays without some receiving production.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
You'd think people were banging on the drum for Sample in the draft from day one.

I hope he does well here... but good Lort take it down a notch fellas.

It's as if he's the pre-season hero without the pre-season!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 02:37 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: You'd think people were banging on the drum for Sample in the draft from day one.

I hope he does well here... but good Lort take it down a notch fellas.

It's as if he's the pre-season hero without the pre-season!

The dude got dogged on big time when we made the pick.

People were saying we could of got Sample in the 4th round. Like they knew that.

Sample was the best blocking TE in this class and has good hands and wasn't utilized in the passing game correctly at Washington.

No reason not to be excited about this pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 02:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He'll need to contribute at least a few hundred yards and a handful of TDs too. No TE is worth a 2nd round pick nowadays without some receiving production.

Maybe.....but if the rumors are true that other teams were looking at him, why not just make sure you get your guy?  Eff these rankings....how many times are they wrong?  I like what I saw from the staff/FO.  They have a vision, and they executed their draft to help make it a reality.  It's pretty obvious now this team will be run heavy.  They missed out on another T, so they went and got the best blocking TE on the board.  Uzomah and Eifert are not the best blockers in the world to this day.  If he goes out there and helps Mixon break free for 1600+ yards, or helps keep defenders off Dalton for 5000+ (never done in his career), then who's to say he's not worth a 2nd round pick just for blocking and catching the occasional pass?

I don't mean this to sound snooty in any way, but IDGAF about fantasy numbers, I just want wins, and opponents mashed into the dirt.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 03:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Maybe.....but if the rumors are true that other teams were looking at him, why not just make sure you get your guy?  Eff these rankings....how many times are they wrong?  I like what I saw from the staff/FO.  They have a vision, and they executed their draft to help make it a reality.  It's pretty obvious now this team will be run heavy.  They missed out on another T, so they went and got the best blocking TE on the board.  Uzomah and Eifert are not the best blockers in the world to this day.  If he goes out there and helps Mixon break free for 1600+ yards, or helps keep defenders off Dalton for 5000+ (never done in his career), then who's to say he's not worth a 2nd round pick just for blocking and catching the occasional pass?

I don't mean this to sound snooty in any way, but IDGAF about fantasy numbers, I just want wins, and opponents mashed into the dirt.

They took him because they think he can also contribute as a receiver and was just underutilized in that area in college. I hope that's the case, as he still needs to contribute somewhat as a receiver. Otherwise, it just eliminates a pass catching option on the field whenever he's out there, and we know Dalton needs as many weapons on the field as possible. It's not like I'm saying he needs to be 600+ yards to be worth the pick. It's just 300 yards. That's literally less than 1/10th of what a typical QB throws in a season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:28 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Last time I checked it was a team game. Has this changed?

Quarterback is the biggest part of it.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 04:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They took him because they think he can also contribute as a receiver and was just underutilized in that area in college. I hope that's the case, as he still needs to contribute somewhat as a receiver. Otherwise, it just eliminates a pass catching option on the field whenever he's out there, and we know Dalton needs as many weapons on the field as possible. It's not like I'm saying he needs to be 600+ yards to be worth the pick. It's just 300 yards. That's literally less than 1/10th of what a typical QB throws in a season.

Don't worry Ocho, Sample will contribute 300 yards and atleast a couple TD's this year pretty sure.
Reply/Quote