Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The irony if Sample becomes what Zac thinks he will
(04-30-2019, 04:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Don't worry Ocho, Sample will contribute 300 yards and atleast a couple TD's this year pretty sure.

I'm not worried so much about this year because I'm expecting Uzomah and Eifert to be ahead of him. However, I do expect him to become TE2 by the time his rookie contract is up. Possibly even next year assuming Eifert isn't re-signed.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 04:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not worried so much about this year because I'm expecting Uzomah and Eifert to be ahead of him. However, I do expect him to become TE2 by the time his rookie contract is up. Possibly even next year assuming Eifert isn't re-signed.

Eh, i have no faith in Eifert staying healthy, for this very reason i see Sample getting a lot of snaps his rookie year and the fact he is a 2nd round pick and already a better blocker than both these guys, he should start ahead of Uzi.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:14 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The Steelers traded up to get Bush. They gave up their second rounder(52) this year to the Broncos. The Bengals got that second rounder from the Broncos and selected Sample. All the naysayers should pull for this pick to succeed. We can rub this in Steelers fans faces for years to come.

I do think people will talk for years to come about the draft the Bengals traded back for an unknown TE and let Denver take Drew Lock.  It was the same one Pittsburgh traded up with Denver to steal Devin Bush out from under us.   And it's the same draft we took a backup QB instead of Lock.  Yeah, that draft. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 04:59 PM)yang Wrote: I do think people will talk for years to come about the draft the Bengals traded back for an unknown TE and let Denver take Drew Lock.  It was the same one Pittsburgh traded up with Denver to steal Devin Bush out from under us.   And it's the same draft we took a backup QB instead of Lock.  Yeah, that draft. 

Bengals weren't looking at Drew lock they got the QB they wanted.

you assume the bengals wouldn't have taken Williams over the LB and LT is a better value all day over a LB.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 04:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not worried so much about this year because I'm expecting Uzomah and Eifert to be ahead of him. However, I do expect him to become TE2 by the time his rookie contract is up. Possibly even next year assuming Eifert isn't re-signed.

Honestly depending on the scheme they roll out I could see Sample getting a ton of snaps.

Id imagine they would be more inclined to swap Eifert and CJ out and leave Sample in on 2TE sets with the skill sets involved.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 04:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They took him because they think he can also contribute as a receiver and was just underutilized in that area in college. I hope that's the case, as he still needs to contribute somewhat as a receiver. Otherwise, it just eliminates a pass catching option on the field whenever he's out there, and we know Dalton needs as many weapons on the field as possible. It's not like I'm saying he needs to be 600+ yards to be worth the pick. It's just 300 yards. That's literally less than 1/10th of what a typical QB throws in a season.

I totally get that about the misuse of him at Washington.  

As to the bolded.....it is my personal belief that what Dalton needs more than anything is TIME.  This draft should help address that concern.  Also, how many times did Mixon have to evade defenders in the backfield?  If we clean that up?  Yikes!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:14 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The Steelers traded up to get Bush. They gave up their second rounder(52) this year to the Broncos. The Bengals got that second rounder from the Broncos and selected Sample. All the naysayers should pull for this pick to succeed. We can rub this in Steelers fans faces for years to come.

Not just Sample, but the fourth rounder and fifth rounder we got from the Broncos for them to move up and us to move back. Those were picks 125 and 182. We picked DT Rennell Wren with 125 and RB Trayveon Williams with 182. So in essence we got 3 players to trade back and receive the pick the steelers gave to denver to move up.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 04:59 PM)yang Wrote: I do think people will talk for years to come about the draft the Bengals traded back for an unknown TE and let Denver take Drew Lock.  It was the same one Pittsburgh traded up with Denver to steal Devin Bush out from under us.   And it's the same draft we took a backup QB instead of Lock.  Yeah, that draft. 
The value the board has for a player doesn't always fit the value teams have them. There are thirty one picks between your picks. Any one pick could steal the player you want. Its easy to armchair the picks but what happens pick by pick could change every pick they got. Trust in Zac.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:20 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The Bengal blog brain trust says we reached and could have gotten him two rounds later. How do they know that? Did they transport into the future on draft day? A lot of know it alls post on here a lot.

I think that the word you are looking for is teleport.  Teleport to the future, transport goods across town..    Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I expect Sample will get a lot more snaps than some here expect. Given the desire to run and also to play action out of the run formation I expect Sample will be the default TE on the field and Eifert or Uzomah the second TE in two TE formations. WR will be AJ and Boyd. Single back or when Sample is the only TE Gio and Mixon in the backfield.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 07:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that the word you are looking for is teleport.  Teleport to the future, transport goods across town..    Ninja

Sorry, beam me up Scotty.
Reply/Quote

No one will talk about them stealing Bush from us because it did not happen.  We got exactly who we wanted

Only people who devote their time to creating fantasy world situations just to shit on the Bengals will talk like that.

Have fun with that, Yang.
Reply/Quote
How about some 2 TE sets? Then you can have Eiffert and Sample, or some other combination. Run it and you've got lots of blockers. Play action and you've got Eiffert as a target. Could be a deadly play. Also it means you have fewer WRs out on the field run blocking -- which could be good for their longevity.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 07:30 PM)Joelist Wrote: I expect Sample will get a lot more snaps than some here expect. Given the desire to run and also to play action out of the run formation I expect Sample will be the default TE on the field and Eifert or Uzomah the second TE in two TE formations. WR will be AJ and Boyd. Single back or when Sample is the only TE Gio and Mixon in the backfield.

Zac wasn't even the OC or even ran offensive plays.

I get that he came from the Rams but how do we know it's going to be for sure it'll be the same or even mimic it?

Lots of speculation around these parts.

Just like teleporting to know someone's draft value, how do we know any of these coaches, players, assistants work out?

It's just silly how I see people saying "The Bengals Board brain trust" when they themselves speculate and assume to know what's going to happen down to even player packages.

It's all just a big question mark and to say that you know like it's fact and that anyone with an opinion on a draft pick is delusional is beyond me.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 02:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The dude got dogged on big time when we made the pick.

People were saying we could of got Sample in the 4th round. Like they knew that.

Sample was the best blocking TE in this class and has good hands and wasn't utilized in the passing game correctly at Washington.

No reason not to be excited about this pick.

I'm not really going to argue with this because I hope he does well and you're right.

I just want to say that "the best blocking TE in the class" doesn't mean he'd be drafted as high as he was(usually the opposite).

Outside of that, his attributes are projected because there's not enough production to prove him.

A lot of times if a player is not used and it doesn't show on tape then the opposing D won't even gameplan for coverage.

Knowing that...

Would he have slipped to later in the 3rd or even the 4th?

It's quite possible.

We don't know but neither do you.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 08:15 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Zac wasn't even the OC or even ran offensive plays.

I get that he came from the Rams but how do we know it's going to be for sure it'll be the same or even mimic it?

Lots of speculation around these parts.

Just like teleporting to know someone's draft value, how do we know any of these coaches, players, assistants work out?

It's just silly how I see people saying "The Bengals Board brain trust" when they themselves speculate and assume to know what's going to happen down to even player packages.

It's all just a big question mark and to say that you know like it's fact and that anyone with an opinion on a draft pick is delusional is beyond me.

Way to insult people...

ZT directly said theywant to run the ball and control the line of scrimmage. So did Callahan. Both also said they want to both run and play action pass out of the same formations.

So, the speculation is that they will do what they said they will do.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 08:23 PM)Joelist Wrote: Way to insult people...

ZT directly said theywant to run the ball and control the line of scrimmage. So did Callahan. Both also said they want to both run and play action pass out of the same formations.

So, the speculation is that they will do what they said they will do.

Didn't insult you.

Sorry if you took it that way.

I'm just skeptic until I see it.

I've seen posters dream up packages and formations for years and yet never have seen them.

If ZT puts it together and it works then great.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 08:29 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Didn't insult you.

Sorry if you took it that way.

I'm just skeptic until I see it.

I've seen posters dream up packages and formations for years and yet never have seen them.

If ZT puts it together and it works then great.

Yep, "We'll be unstoppable with AJ, MLJ, Sanu, Eifert, Gio, and Hill. Who do you cover?". These boards have seen lots and lots of hype. I remember when people were hyping up Armon Binns because one scout said he did some things similar to Larry Fitzgerald.

Reply/Quote
End of the day, a draft room has 2 things to work with. Its own player analysis and some information or disinformation of what other teams in the league think of the player. In this day and age there are very few true 'sleepers'. The Giants GM picked Jones at 6 becuase he was convinced someone else would pick him before their pick at 17. Right or wrong, he went with the information he had.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 08:23 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm not really going to argue with this because I hope he does well and you're right.

I just want to say that "the best blocking TE in the class" doesn't mean he'd be drafted as high as he was(usually the opposite).

Outside of that, his attributes are projected because there's not enough production to prove him.

A lot of times if a player is not used and it doesn't show on tape then the opposing D won't even gameplan for coverage.

Knowing that...

Would he have slipped to later in the 3rd or even the 4th?

It's quite possible.

We don't know but neither do you.
The fact remains that they took him when they wanted to and to assume your opinion is more intelligent that a NFL coach is preposterous. You knew they were hiring a new HC so why didn't you put your name in the hat? I trust Zac and the other professionals over any of yours. 
Reply/Quote