Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The lack of receiving depth is appalling
I said this during the draft, throughout training and for the final roster cut downs..Anthony swartz 4.25 40 drafted by Cleveland in the 4th round could've been taking by us..

Marquez Stevenson 4.45 40 drafted by the bills in the 6th round could've been taking by us;kawaan baker 4.41 40 drafted in 7th round by the saints could've also been considered..bottom line is the receiving depth is absolutely unacceptable, we have a bunch of pure possession guys whose best chance is contested catching..

Why didn't we take another speed guy to be a developmental wr?? It scares me if any of our top 3 goes down..
Reply/Quote
4th string receiver is what some people are now down to complain about? Of all the things you choose 4th string receiver as your thing?

I mean I get most things have already been covered but listen, we're talking about 4th string. Not 1st string. Not 2nd string. NOT 3rd string. We're talking about 4th string. Not a starter. Not the starters that go out there and die for and play every game like it's their last. Not the starters. We're talking about 4th string, man.

I mean how silly is that. And we're talking about 4th string.We're talking about 4th string, man?
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2021, 11:38 PM)TheFan Wrote: 4th string receiver is what some people are now down to complain about? Of all the things you choose 4th string receiver as your thing?

I mean I get most things have already been covered but listen, we're talking about 4th string. Not 1st string. Not 2nd string. NOT 3rd string. We're talking about 4th string. Not a starter. Not the starters that go out there and die for and play every game like it's their last. Not the starters. We're talking about 4th string, man.

I mean how silly is that. And we're talking about 4th string.We're talking about 4th string, man?
You do understand that this so called 4th string receiver is 1 injury away from getting regular snaps?all I'm saying is that we could've invested in another receiver that's different from the ones we already have plain and simple the receiver room could use more speed..
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2021, 11:08 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: I said this during the draft, throughout training and for the final roster cut downs..Anthony swartz 4.25 40 drafted by Cleveland in the 4th round could've been taking by us..

Marquez Stevenson 4.45 40 drafted by the bills in the 6th round could've been taking by us;kawaan baker 4.41 40 drafted in 7th round by the saints could've also been considered..bottom line is the receiving depth is absolutely unacceptable, we have a bunch of pure possession guys whose best chance is contested catching..

Why didn't we take another speed guy to be a developmental wr?? It scares me if any of our top 3 goes down..

I get what your saying and I was just thinking that same thing after really dissecting the Chicago game and Higgins dropping his deep target. It was really a perfect throw but Higgins didn't really have the seperation you would want there. I'm not saying he can't be a good deep threat but I don't think we've seen it yet. Another thing I've been thinking along the lines of all the things to hate Zac about is that I don't think he scheme's to get guys wide open well. That may not be something that's easily done because it also needs to have a defensive mistake but we just don't see many of those plays. 
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2021, 12:00 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I get what your saying and I was just thinking that same thing after really dissecting the Chicago game and Higgins dropping his deep target. It was really a perfect throw but Higgins didn't really have the seperation you would want there. I'm not saying he can't be a good deep threat but I don't think we've seen it yet. Another thing I've been thinking along the lines of all the things to hate Zac about is that I don't think he scheme's to get guys wide open well. That may not be something that's easily done because it also needs to have a defensive mistake but we just don't see many of those plays. 

110% agree with your post..
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2021, 12:00 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I get what your saying and I was just thinking that same thing after really dissecting the Chicago game and Higgins dropping his deep target. It was really a perfect throw but Higgins didn't really have the seperation you would want there. I'm not saying he can't be a good deep threat but I don't think we've seen it yet. Another thing I've been thinking along the lines of all the things to hate Zac about is that I don't think he scheme's to get guys wide open well. That may not be something that's easily done because it also needs to have a defensive mistake but we just don't see many of those plays. 

I agree with the analyst, the pass was over the wrong shoulder,, Higgins was route was leading him to middle of field so over his left shoulder, the ball a bit overthrown was also over his right shoulder..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

It wasn't a perfect throw. Higgins had the guy beat by at least a step and on his outside. Instead of throwing the ball to his inside Burrow through it on his outside shoulder which let the defender get his hand in. 
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2021, 11:38 PM)TheFan Wrote: 4th string receiver is what some people are now down to complain about? Of all the things you choose 4th string receiver as your thing?

Nice Iverson reference there. 
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2021, 11:08 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: I said this during the draft, throughout training and for the final roster cut downs..Anthony swartz 4.25 40 drafted by Cleveland in the 4th round could've been taking by us..

WTF?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2021, 12:10 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree with the analyst, the pass was over the wrong shoulder,, Higgins was route was leading him to middle of field so over his left shoulder, the ball a bit overthrown was also over his right shoulder..

Okay I just rewatched it and yeah maybe still one you'd like the receiver to make. But throw not perfect and if he throws it more center of the field than Higgins probably has a little more separation.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2021, 12:24 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Okay I just rewatched it and yeah maybe still one you'd like the receiver to make. But throw not perfect and if he throws it more center of the field than Higgins probably has a little more separation.

Throws are gonna be off target. When it's in the air that long, it's on the receiver to adjust. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2021, 12:26 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Throws are gonna be off target. When it's in the air that long, it's on the receiver to adjust. 

Yeah it helps if you have the kind of separation that Chase has been getting. He was able to adjust quite a bit with his guy trailing I'm still not sure what the Bears safety was doing but that's probably why we should've been attacking earlier.
Reply/Quote

Honestly, the year to double dip at WR would have been last year.  It was a stacked class from top to bottom with plenty of good prospects on day 3.  This year's class wasn't that good unless you were looking for pure slot guys.
Reply/Quote
In the spring everyone was excited for Taylor and Irwin, they are both still around and this might give one of them a chance to shine in game time and finally push Mike Thomas off the roster.

Yes I know Taylor is on the P.S. but might end up being one of the guys promoted for Sunday.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Mike Thomas is a solid #4 and Tate is a pretty good WR as well. Another deep threat would be nice to have especially over Irwin or Taylor. I think depth is fine at Wr but not great.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2021, 12:26 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Throws are gonna be off target. When it's in the air that long, it's on the receiver to adjust. 

This.

If that was another one of our WR’s people would have been killing him.

Reply/Quote

(09-25-2021, 01:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This.

If that was another one of our WR’s people would have been killing him.

And sometimes when the throw is in the air that long, the guy playing defense makes a play. They are NFL level as well, not division II guys gettting steam rolled. The DB got his hand up and on the ball, it was a hell of a play and a play that if Bates or Hilton or anyone in the secondary here made everyone would have been excited about. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote

Throws 20+ yards down field are hard enough to complete without expecting the QB to throw the receiver open.  It's on the receiver to get some separation so the QB has an easier throw.  That throw to Tee was as good as anyone can reasonably expect the QB to make.  

Don't know if the shoulder has been the issue, but Tee is only 1 of 6 on contested catches this year, including 0 for 4 against the Bears.  Chase is 0 for 1 and Boyd is 2 for 2, by comparison.  The other concern is 6 of Tee's 15 targets have been contested compared to 2 of 13 for Boyd and 1 of 11 for Chase.  Tee is struggling to get open and struggling to make contested catches.  It would probably be a good idea to dial back his target share some when he gets healthy.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2021, 01:19 AM)Whatever Wrote: Throws 20+ yards down field are hard enough to complete without expecting the QB to throw the receiver open.  It's on the receiver to get some separation so the QB has an easier throw.  That throw to Tee was as good as anyone can reasonably expect the QB to make.  

Don't know if the shoulder has been the issue, but Tee is only 1 of 6 on contested catches this year, including 0 for 4 against the Bears.  Chase is 0 for 1 and Boyd is 2 for 2, by comparison.  The other concern is 6 of Tee's 15 targets have been contested compared to 2 of 13 for Boyd and 1 of 11 for Chase.  Tee is struggling to get open and struggling to make contested catches.  It would probably be a good idea to dial back his target share some when he gets healthy.

Well it's not his shoulder I don't think he hurt that until the Dlineman dropped his 300+ pound frame on him towards the end of the game. Interesting to look at how many routes the receivers ran have been contested and a little concerning Higgins is struggling. It's early though and I'd rather look at the routes he's being contested on rather than dial back his target share when he's healthy atleast.
Reply/Quote
If you have a Tee Higgins type WR go down and you still have a Tyler Boyd and a Ja'Marr Chase, you're going to be okay. Tate is an okay 4th/5th WR and he will fill in fine for a bit.

I don't like anyone at WR on the depth chart after Tate, but I am pretty sure that Chase/Higgins/Boyd/Tate is the opposite of appalling depth. There's not really many teams out there who feel great about their 5th WR if they're being honest. Easy solution is just run less 4 WR sets.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote