Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The lack of receiving depth is appalling
(09-25-2021, 01:33 PM)Synric Wrote: I get where the OP is coming from there is almost zero possibility for any kinda WR development on the backend of the Bengals depth chart. The Bengals opted for special teams and below average veteran depth.

How do you figure?

I get the dislike of Thomas, but... 

Stanley Morgan is in his 3rd year after he re-wrote receiving record books in college at Nebraska, leaving with school records in career receptions (189) and receiving yards (2747), single-season receiving yards (1004 in '18) and 100-yard receiving games (five in '17), and consecutive games with a reception (38). So certainly a guy with talent who could develop with reps.

Then you have Trenton Irwin who everyone raved about in the spring and is on the active roster.

Plus, the two guys on the P.S. in Trent Taylor and Pooka Williams who it seems they are moving to WR.

As long as the targets Higgins was going to get go to a guy like Morgan or Irwin, then it could be okay. Running Tate out there (outside of redzone) and Thomas in general is kind of a waste.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2021, 04:29 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: How do you figure?

Stanley Morgan is in his 3rd year after he re-wrote receiving record books in college at Nebraska, leaving with school records in career receptions (189) and receiving yards (2747), single-season receiving yards (1004 in '18) and 100-yard receiving games (five in '17), and consecutive games with a reception (38). So certainly a guy with talent who could develop with reps.

Then you have Trenton Irwin who everyone raved about in the spring and is on the active roster.

Plus, the two guys on the P.S. in Trent Taylor and Pooka Williams who it seems they are moving to WR.

As long as the targets Higgins was going to get go to a guy like Morgan or Irwin, then it could be okay. Running Tate out there (outside of redzone) and Thomas in general is kind of a waste.

Proves my point arguing 4 undrafted FAs one going into his 3rd year and has shown nothing but special teams and another converting from running back.

There is almost zero developmental talent outside the Bengals top 3 receivers. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2021, 04:29 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: How do you figure?

You completely made my point with your post..
Reply/Quote
I would not be opposed to looking into
Josh Gordon. He might be 30 but his body
Is still rather young and not.beat up.
Low risk high reward move.
His talent level is undeniable
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2021, 01:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The fact that Tee has more targets indicates that he is getting open more often than Chase or Boyd.

Very few catches involve the WR and DB both getting their hands on the ball and the WR winning the battle.  If a DB can get his hand on the ball the WR almost never makes the catch.  That is why I wonder how they define "contested" targets.  It seems every single back shoulder throw would be "contested" but if thrown properly it is almost impossible to defend.

What is the average catch percentage for WRs on "contested targets"?  Maybe that would give me some more perspective.

Not according to nextgen stats.  Many of the most productive WRs have low separation numbers while many scrub WRs have high sparation number.

The fact that Tee has the highest % of contested targets among our big three directly disputes your supposition that Tee is getting open more often than Chase or Boyd.

Some sample career Contested Catch %'s...

Boyd-47.1
Tate-41.9
Mike Williams-53.1
Amari Cooper-41.2
Mike Evans-51.9
Adam Thielen-47.8
Tyreek Hill-47.8
Juju Smith-Schuster-50.5

Tee Higgins-31.7(career)/16.7 (2021)
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2021, 02:32 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: A factor that has a value of about 1%. 

In terms of total targets this year, Tee is 38th. Out of those he is;
23rd in separation
8th in smallest amount of cushion at the LoS (this is the biggest argument against separation)
16th in targeted air yards 
But here's where sep and cushion combine to see who is effective...
he's 4th in Average YaC above expectation. xYaC/R 2.2yds. YaC/R 4.3yds. So while he's more tightly blanketed and getting smaller separation numbers, he's exceptionally productive on his targets. 
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#targets

He's def a low end #1/top end #2. 
As far as market share, i'd put the # something like this. 
On 34 throws a game, RBs should see 6, TEs should see 4, Chase should see 10, Boyd should see 7 and Tee should see 7. 

However you see him league wide, he has the lowest yards/target of our big three.  Chase is way ahead with 14.1 yards/target.  Boyd has 8.1 yards/target.  Tee is at 7.9.  Since Tee is less productive, he should get less targets.  7.9 yards/target puts him tied for 67th, so I would hesitate to call him extremely productive with his targets, though he is reasonably productive.  
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2021, 08:04 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I would not be opposed to looking into
Josh Gordon. He might be 30 but his body
Is still rather young and not.beat up.
Low risk high reward move.
His talent level is undeniable

I believe in 5th chances and all (lol) but Gordon looked very Mike Thomas esque in Seattle. Guy had so much potential, and it would be nice to see him go out w some success somewhere.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2021, 07:50 AM)Dr.Z Wrote: I believe in 5th chances and all (lol)  but Gordon looked very Mike Thomas esque in Seattle.   Guy had so much potential, and it would be nice to see him go out w some success somewhere.

I remember when we signed Pacman.  I live in Tennessee so I knew all about his outrageous shenanigans.  I GUARANTEED that he would be nothing but trouble and the Bengals were stupid to sign him.  He ended up being one of the best CB/return men ever to play for the us.

Would I sign Gordon?  No.  

Would i say he will never get his shit together and be a great WR again?  NO.  I seriously doubt it will happen, but I'm not going to say it is impossible.
Reply/Quote