Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The lagacy of "What If?"
What if the city hadn't approved the funding of PBS? Are we still looking at having an NFL team?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 07:20 PM)McC Wrote: If you write a book about the history of the Bengals, the title would have to be "What If?"

There are just so damn many of them.  We may never get past the could have been.  We approach glory, see it right there in front of us, then can't reach out and take it.

This thread is to rehash the could have been but, just for the hell of it, let's predict what would have been if not for the could have been.

I want to focus on the biggest bundle of what if's--the 2005 team.

There was so much promise there.  It looked like we were a real threat to win it all for at least a few years.  Astounding how quickly and hell, tragically it fell apart.

Turns out it was a house of cards.  By the end of 2006, so many important guys were gone, the run was over before it really got started.

But if it hadn't crumbled, hadn't been so beset by bad luck and bone headedness, I believe that group would have played in 2 SB's and won one.

Also, name your biggest Bengal What If.  To me, Bill Walsh.

Sucks being a Bengal fan, to me the 2015 team was the one. If Dalton wouldn't of went down i truly think that team
could of carried Marv's lame ass. Honestly this team is even more talented than that one and could do it if the O-line
can protect Dalton and open up lanes in the running game.

What if Palmer didn't go down in 2005 and what if Dalton didn't go down in 2015 are my biggest what ifs.

Brady never seems to go down at these times for some reason. I don't really believe in luck but damn, sure seems
we have one unlucky franchise.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 07:20 PM)McC Wrote: If you write a book about the history of the Bengals, the title would have to be "What If?"

There are just so damn many of them.  We may never get past the could have been.  We approach glory, see it right there in front of us, then can't reach out and take it.

This thread is to rehash the could have been but, just for the hell of it, let's predict what would have been if not for the could have been.

I want to focus on the biggest bundle of what if's--the 2005 team.

There was so much promise there.  It looked like we were a real threat to win it all for at least a few years.  Astounding how quickly and hell, tragically it fell apart.

Turns out it was a house of cards.  By the end of 2006, so many important guys were gone, the run was over before it really got started.

But if it hadn't crumbled, hadn't been so beset by bad luck and bone headedness, I believe that group would have played in 2 SB's and won one.

Also, name your biggest Bengal What If.  To me, Bill Walsh.

I would put Bill Walsh and Greg Cook ahead of the '05 team easily, on the 'what if' scale. Those are both solid 10s while '05 is probably more like an 8.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 11:53 AM)McC Wrote: Bad luck plus bad decisions plus bad plays.  Does any franchise in all of sports have even close to this many?  It boggles the mind.

I think the Bengals are head and shoulders above everyone else in the 'what if' game. Cleveland has just had a bunch of bad players and bad coaches and bad owners. 

The Bengals have been on the doorstep so many times only to trip and fall. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 03:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think the Bengals are head and shoulders above everyone else in the 'what if' game. Cleveland has just had a bunch of bad players and bad coaches and bad owners. 

The Bengals have been on the doorstep so many times only to trip and fall. 

Sad but so damn true.
Reply/Quote