Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The life of a Bengal player: One with no control
Hey all,
Have a new story up today where I hung out with AJ McCarron as he worked out, ate dinner at Wallace Gilberry's house and talked to Michael Bennett about the NFL telling him "you're retired" at the age of 25 and DeShawn Williams, who knows this could be a make or break year for his career.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/03/22/cincinnati-bengals-nfl-players-aj-mccarron-wallace-gilberry-deshawn-williams-uncertain-futures/99329410/

You guys know by now I try to bring you into these guys lives in some way, and I felt that reaching out to four guys at different stages of their careers would be interesting - and the common theme was that they have no control over their professional lives, and that's an easy thing to say you can deal with, but a whole other to actually do it.

Thanks for the reads and social shares, and as always leave comments or questions here and I can try and answer as best I can. I'm en route to San Jose to help out on our Xavier coverage, but I'll be sure to check back when I can.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Well, you totally mucked that up. What you should have done was worked out with Wallace Gilberry, then went to AJ's house for dinner with AJ and his wife. And you should have taken pictures and posted them with the story.. lots of pictures, of his wife....lol.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 12:02 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Hey all,
Have a new story up today where I hung out with AJ McCarron as he worked out, ate dinner at Wallace Gilberry's house and talked to Michael Bennett about the NFL telling him "you're retired" at the age of 25 and DeShawn Williams, who knows this could be a make or break year for his career.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/03/22/cincinnati-bengals-nfl-players-aj-mccarron-wallace-gilberry-deshawn-williams-uncertain-futures/99329410/

You guys know by now I try to bring you into these guys lives in some way, and I felt that reaching out to four guys at different stages of their careers would be interesting - and the common theme was that they have no control over their professional lives, and that's an easy thing to say you can deal with, but a whole other to actually do it.

Thanks for the reads and social shares, and as always leave comments or questions here and I can try and answer as best I can. I'm en route to San Jose to help out on our Xavier coverage, but I'll be sure to check back when I can.

This is the life of an NFL player under contract.    not just bengals players.
Reply/Quote

Awesome, as always.  We're addicts.  You bring the drug.  Keep it coming, please.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

You do a great job and us fans really appreciate your work! :andy:
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I enjoyed this piece a lot. Interesting to reflect on just how uncertain and unstable life is for the vast majority of players. Sure the money is decent in the short term, but that all encompassing sense of the unknown guys like William's have to carry day to day... That's not an easy way to live.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for reading y'all.
@Sled21 - LOL
@XenoMorph - Yes, of course. But I cover the Bengals, so that's why it's called that. :-)
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 05:32 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Thanks for reading y'all.
@Sled21 - LOL
@XenoMorph - Yes, of course. But I cover the Bengals, so that's why it's called that. :-)

Very interesting read. Shared on Facebook and Twitter.
Reply/Quote

Can you give Percentage odds that AJ McCarron gets traded before the Draft? If so what is his likely value in terms of Draft pick(s) & which round(s) ?
Reply/Quote

Great stuff, and TY again. All of us need to forward his articles to Facebook, twitter or other social media.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Thanks all! Would love the social love!

@DepthChart - Honestly, I can't say until this contract thing is settled. If the arbitrator rules in favor of McCarron that he can be an unrestricted free agent after 2017 - I say the odds are better. If they rule in favor of the Bengals and he is a restricted free agent after 2017 - odds are they keep him.

They want a lot of value for him. And now, if a team doesn't want to trade for him - if a guy like Glennon gets $15 million annually...I mean, it's possible they know they'll get a third round comp pick for him so why not ask for a 1 and/or a 2? The team has all the leverage here, which kind of goes back to the story. Dude just wants a chance to play, but he is truly a commodity. 
Reply/Quote
Evidently I enjoyed my complimentary issues of your paper too soon and not about to subscribe for one article so thanks for writing it and if you ever get hired on by the Washington Post I'm a subscriber.  I'm not a fan of the deadskins, but I like the Post. 
The big question is when the hell are you going to become nationally syndicated? I grew up around newspapers. It's in our families blood, but only the advertising end so when you get a chance to talk to Mikey B tell him if he wants to pay me to advertise for his team he can feel free, but I don't pay to do advertising for anyone by wearing walking billboards called jerseys. We get paid for that stuff like you do. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Jim, from everything I've read about MB he's no fan of trading players and their contracts and more or less thinks of it as flesh trading. It's just about the only business that does it, pro sports. Imagine that your newspaper traded your contract to some paper in ********* Egypt for a copy editor and a writer to be named later..heck, maybe an old fashioned typesetter who still uses lead type. I have a feeling you wouldn't be too impressed. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Nice work, Jim. I don't feel any additional sympathy for NFL players, backups, fringe roster guys, and guys that never made it. They are no different from any of the rest of us.

Sure, the stakes are higher. If they hit, and get on a roster for a while, they earn big-time. But, what bothers me the most, is that so many of them don't understand how to budget their money and spread those earnings out over time.

I don't know the statistic off the top of my head, but the % of ex-NFL players that become bankrupt is staggering. Again, this happens to non-NFL players as well. It sickens me to hear all these debt-relief ads on the radio that paint a picture of "hey, it isn't your fault, and you can get away with paying just a small amount of what you owe!". What a misconception to paint to individuals. Take no responsibility for your wreckless spending.

I wish our schools would force a "personal economics" course to teach kids BEFORE they get out of high school about credit, budgeting, and retirement.

I was fortunate to have a father that did all of that for me, and I am very grateful for his advice.

I never was going to hit big money in swimming. Heck, only two or three of the fastest in the world get any real endorsements and financial windfall. If you are looking for that, swimming isn't your sport. It did, however, allow me to graduate college without any debt and that was a great head start to financial stability.

Wallace might have earned $11 million in his career, but after taxes and agent fees, etc, he probably brought home half of that. $5.5 million. If I am earning $250,000 a year, you could say I have a 25 year, $5 million dollar contract. I have 25 years to earn what he does in 9, but you get my point. In 25 years, we are almost in the same boat. Would I be driving a twin-turbo AMG Mercedes G-Wagon at that income (with aftermarket rims, total price $150,000)? Heck, no. Even with the NFL pension based on years of service, I wouldn't. Now maybe he is single and has no plans on getting married. Maybe he is a car guy and lives in a very modest home. That isn't my point. It is more just one of protecting oneself and preparing for the future.

I don't mean to sound like I am doing things right and he or many NFL players are doing things wrong, but when it comes to taking care of yourself and your family financially everyone is in the same risk pool. NFL players(the ones that make it)have to be careful not to live like they will always be receiving those huge paychecks and the ones on the fringe have to have a backup plan. I was happy to hear Bennett clearly has that in place.

OK, stepping off the soap box.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 09:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Nice work, Jim.  I don't feel any additional sympathy for NFL players, backups, fringe roster guys, and guys that never made it.  They are no different from any of the rest of us.  

Sure, the stakes are higher.  If they hit, and get on a roster for a while, they earn big-time.  But, what bothers me the most, is that so many of them don't understand how to budget their money and spread those earnings out over time.  

I don't know the statistic off the top of my head, but the % of ex-NFL players that become bankrupt is staggering.  Again, this happens to non-NFL players as well.  It sickens me to hear all these debt-relief ads on the radio that paint a picture of "hey, it isn't your fault, and you can get away with paying just a  small amount of what you owe!".  What a misconception to paint to individuals.  Take no responsibility for your wreckless spending.  

I wish our schools would force a "personal economics" course to teach kids BEFORE they get out of high school about credit, budgeting, and retirement.  

I was fortunate to have a father that did all of that for me, and I am very grateful for his advice.

I never was going to hit big money in swimming.  Heck, only two or three of the fastest in the world get any real endorsements and financial windfall.  If you are looking for that, swimming isn't your sport.  It did, however, allow me to graduate college without any debt and that was a great head start to financial stability.  

Wallace might have earned $11 million in his career, but after taxes and agent fees, etc, he probably brought home half of that.  $5.5 million.  If I am earning $250,000 a year, you could say I have a 25 year, $5 million dollar contract.  I have 25 years to earn what he does in 9, but you get my point.  In 25 years, we are almost in the same boat.  Would I be driving a twin-turbo AMG Mercedes G-Wagon at that income (with aftermarket rims, total price $150,000)?  Heck, no.  Even with the NFL pension based on years of service, I wouldn't.  Now maybe he is single and has no plans on getting married.  Maybe he is a car guy and lives in a very modest home.  That isn't my point.  It is more just one of protecting oneself and preparing for the future.  

I don't mean to sound like I am doing things right and he or many NFL players are doing things wrong, but when it comes to taking care of yourself and your family financially everyone is in the same risk pool.  NFL players(the ones that make it)have to be careful not to live like they will always be receiving those huge paychecks and the ones on the fringe have to have a backup plan.  I was happy to hear Bennett clearly has that in place.

OK, stepping off the soap box.

This makes me think of Ryan Broyles. He played for Detroit a couple years ago, but he and his wife would only live off of 60K a year so that they wouldn't go bankrupt. I was happy to see someone actually be smart with their money.

Jim, great job. I always love reading what you post on these forums. 
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you feel the need to preach please start a church.  Or at least take it to the PR forum.

I don't know a single person here who is in a situation like Bennett where we are told that our most valuable skill is worthless at age 25 and we can no longer use it to make a living.  Nothing in this article says we should pity them.  It is just pointing out that athletes have to deal with issues that none of us do.

If  you need to come at me behind a computer, I suggest you do it in something like Smack Talk.  

Nothing in this article says we should pity them directly, but do you see articles written about everyday individuals trying to get a job and earn a paycheck that aren't star athletes?  My point (it isn't your head this time) is that our society does everyone a disservice when it comes to personal finances and understanding them. 

I'm sorry if you think that means I should open a church.  
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 01:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And your point has nothing to do with this article.  Not a single player mentioned was broke because of any bad decisions.  That is why I don't understand the need for you to post a sermon no one cares about.

Right.  "Bengal players grapple with uncertain futures" was the title of the article.  My response was that everyone basically has uncertain futures and that although the stakes are higher, it is a common problem in our country that people aren't taught how to prepare for their futures.  Totally unrelated. 

Shocked
Reply/Quote
Great read as always and a big thanks for posting.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Loved the article Jim. Rock On
Reply/Quote
@grampahol The big question is when the hell are you going to become nationally syndicated?

Thanks! Well, depending on the story USA Today will pick it up. My profile on Andy was actually the 2016 NFL preview cover story. As for being traded … well, as long as it’s for more than a bag of balls

@SHRacerX – thanks for reading. It’s not really about feeling sorry for them, it’s about taking people inside what most guys on an NFL roster deal with regarding their futures in their chosen career path. For these guys it’s never about money – well, mostly – because they just want a chance to play (and then in turn make real money). And all I’ll say about your general comment is Wallace is pretty diversified.
Reply/Quote