Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was this a bad year to replace Marv?
(01-11-2019, 11:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I get it, but over the past 15 years, have they really been?  They only got the facility a year ago, though, and they did get one of the most coveted FAs (You like that!! Kirk Cousins).  

Kinda. 

Vikings: 124-114-2 (.521) - 7 winning records - 6 playoff berths - 3 playoff wins
Bengals: 123-114-3 (.519) - 7 winning records - 7 playoff berths - 0 playoff wins

It's remarkable how similar they are, but they do have multiple playoff wins, and we have none. 

Ultimately, it's kinda silly to point out one team as proof training facilities don't matter, when 95% of the league has one. Of course some teams are destined to lose even with a facility. That said, we're the only team sporting a 28 year playoff win drought. Now I'm not saying that lacking a practice facility is 100% why, but I do think it's a symptom of one problem during that streak: Mike has refused to get with the times as far as scouting department, GM and facilities.

He did manage to buy out the minority owner of the Bengals for a cool $200 million (in 2011), but he can't afford a facility?

Tobin has done an admirable job considering the circumstances, but that doesn't excuse the small scouting staff. We should also have our own facility. It looks ghetto not to have one in the NFL. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 06:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Kinda. 

Vikings: 124-114-2 (.521) - 7 winning records - 6 playoff berths - 3 playoff wins
Bengals: 123-114-3 (.519) - 7 winning records - 7 playoff berths - 0 playoff wins

It's remarkable how similar they are, but they do have multiple playoff wins, and we have none. 

Ultimately, it's kinda silly to point out one team as proof training facilities don't matter, when 95% of the league has one. Of course some teams are destined to lose even with a facility. That said, we're the only team sporting a 28 year playoff win drought. Now I'm not saying that lacking a practice facility is 100% why, but I do think it's a symptom of one problem during that streak: Mike has refused to get with the times as far as scouting department, GM and facilities.

He did manage to buy out the minority owner of the Bengals for a cool $200 million (in 2011), but he can't afford a facility?

Tobin has done an admirable job considering the circumstances, but that doesn't excuse the small scouting staff. We should also have our own facility. It looks ghetto not to have one in the NFL. 

I wholeheartedly agree that they need one, and it would be easy to give it some stupid ad space and naming right to make the cost offset.

And I didn't mean to say one team's practice facility should make a huge point, but the Vikes just built it and if I were a free agent, a facility like that to help keep my body in the best possible shape would certainly influence my decision.  If I saw the Bengals and Vikes as equals as playoff teams (potential) but I saw that facility, it wouldn't even be close.  

I would think they could invest in one, use the expense to help tax issues, and amortize the cost over 20 years.  I don't think it is the money as much as they don't see the need.  Maybe a new coach will think otherwise.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 04:32 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wholeheartedly agree that they need one, and it would be easy to give it some stupid ad space and naming right to make the cost offset.

And I didn't mean to say one team's practice facility should make a huge point, but the Vikes just built it and if I were a free agent, a facility like that to help keep my body in the best possible shape would certainly influence my decision.  If I saw the Bengals and Vikes as equals as playoff teams (potential) but I saw that facility, it wouldn't even be close.  

I would think they could invest in one, use the expense to help tax issues, and amortize the cost over 20 years.  I don't think it is the money as much as they don't see the need.  Maybe a new coach will think otherwise.  

The Steelers have a huge training facility with multiple outdoor and indoor practice fields. I've biked past it.

The Bengals...have some outdoor fields under a bridge.

Quite a major difference.

It's just one of those things...teams might not win BECAUSE of a practice facility. But owners willing to build a facility when they don't have to will likely do other things in order to win.
Reply/Quote