Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Taylor fails to win a single game
(10-23-2019, 12:40 PM)motoarch Wrote: Please explain how 0-7 is competitive
7 playoff appearances is better than 0 in a decade.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 01:43 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: 7 playoff appearances is better than 0 in a decade.

That wasn't the question.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 01:42 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: you don't seem to understand the impact marvin had on MB.....   And now that that is gone well we get this...

This has been in the making for4+ years. This team was declining all that time with Marvin here. Marvin is lucky he got out when he did or he’d be going for a 3 or less win season this year. This team was what we were going to get even with Marvin. Maybe different assistants but other than that it’s not like he was going to magically change Mikes mind in year 17 that we need to sign good FA’s
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 05:03 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Just like quality HC's would never come here, the same can be said about quality FA's.

Get ready for a rude awakening. Free Agency has killed small market teams in other sports. Yes, you can build a championship team through the draft for a year or two in other leagues with small market teams that don't use Free Agency.  But once those players hit the free agency of that  respected team then they are gone. 

One of the former NFL players I spoke with was Leon Searcy. He said he had no desire whatsoever to play for Mike Brown. Was going to visit Cincy for a FA visit as a favor to Dick LeBeau and because Willie Anderson was a personal friend, but he signed on elsewhere before the waste of a visit ever took place. Told me that was the reputation then and it still is now. Another player, whose name I won't mention, never came close to playing for CIN but echoed everything else we've heard. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 10:02 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Have you ever noticed how when you're defending Marvin it's the "worst front office in the league" ?

But in every other thread slamming the front office for this decision or that you defend them ?

(10-22-2019, 10:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wish I could rep this post more than once.

I wish you could point to some of these posts where I defend the front office.  That almost never happens.  I have been ripping on Mike Brown for years.

Sometimes I point out that the plan our front office has is the same as the best teams (like letting older players walk a year too early instead of a year too late) but I always agree that the execution of the plan failed.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 12:40 PM)motoarch Wrote: Please explain how 0-7 is competitive.

Simple.

If you make the playoffs you are competitive.

Marvin had a winning record against all other NFL head coaches, and other than one team that absolutely owned him he had a decent record against other winning teams.

So explain to me how winning more games than most teams and going to the playoffs more than most teams is NOT being competitive.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 11:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It is too early to judge ZT, but when you look at the shakiness of his resume, and Lou's, and Turner's and then factor in that we are 0-7 and our team is just so consistently awful in so many ways and...well, you get where I'm going with this.  If I hire someone with a sterling resume and he underperfoms early I get nervous, but he has a proven record of success I can fall back on to assure myself and my bosses.  If I hire someone with a shaky resume and he underperforms early I get very nervous because I have to try to justify why I hired a guy who didn't look ready before he got here and has flat-out drowned when he was thrown into the deep end.

A shaky or empty resume plus poor performance is a double whammy, so it's not too hard to see why people aren't full o' faith.

I don't disagree with any of this.  I am not saying Zach will improve.  I am just saying we have to give him a better chance.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 04:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't disagree with any of this.  I am not saying Zach will improve.  I am just saying we have to give him a better chance.

Yep - he has to grow. He has made a lot of mistakes and he will learn from them. Plus, he has not been dealt a fair hand IMO. Although he must have knew what he was getting himself into. Now he just has to get himself out of it.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 04:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't disagree with any of this.  I am not saying Zach will improve.  I am just saying we have to give him a better chance.

That jives with what I said when we hired him. He's a QB coach so we are buying in super early and playing the long game.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 11:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There are lots of teams with cap space this upcoming offseason too. Actual teams that are rebuilding and have a plan.

The reason why quality HC's and players don't want to come here is not the salary, but the true reputation of the culture of Mike Brown's organization. Scouting, Medical staff, Facility is subpar.   
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 01:39 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: That's right in Mike's wheelhouse: he's stubborn and doesn't like to pay for something twice (i.e. firing a HC under contract, Mike Shula's firing 23 years ago aside.).   He'll serve out (appropriate words if there ever were any) his contract before we even consider moving on.  Hell, if we beat the Dolphins and Browns, Mike may announce an extension the next day.

Eeeeeks

Reply/Quote
I am pretty sure the team has been secretly tanking from the get-go. Zac Taylor's passive and somewhat shady demeanor I think is representative of his expectations of the team and some understanding between him and Mike Brown. The play on the field does not represent the intent to win. What pisses me off though is that we have essentially been tanking for two years now but have kept on making minor shitty adjustments that have kept us from hitting the bottom. I am pretty sure the team is about to be gutted.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 04:47 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I was thinking if Taylor’s Bengals go 0-16 would it change the way you view Marvin as a HC. May not be fair since Taylor has a different staff but many of the key players are the same. I don’t think Marvin is with any team at the moment but maybe Marvin will actually benefit from a winless season. I’ve been as critical as anyone wanting Marvin gone years ago. In no way what so ever am I suggesting we bring him back, or if we are better with or without Marvin. I know there are a few here that think any kind of signification change with this organization will automatically damn us back to the 90’s. I’m Just curious what everyone thinks.

I will think of how the team looked against Seattle.  And I will give him at least three years to build the team he envisions.  Marvin was great for the Bengals as a whole when he started.  He got the team believing and did the enviable task of "changing the culture" but he stonewalled as a game manager and old-school mentality.  The SD playoff game should have been his exit.  It would have shown the team and community just getting there wasn't enough.  

This team is going to have to change their M.O. and trade veteran players for draft picks, trade their first rounder this year, and bring in at least 5 quality free agents.  I understand their reluctance to bring in the very top, a la OBJ, but there were a lot of defensive players that could have made a big difference as this offense finds its way.  They will likely have to overpay, or at least up the guarantee....They made this bed, and they are the only ones that can get out of it.  
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 08:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I will think of how the team looked against Seattle.  And I will give him at least three years to build the team he envisions.  Marvin was great for the Bengals as a whole when he started.  He got the team believing and did the enviable task of "changing the culture" but he stonewalled as a game manager and old-school mentality.  The SD playoff game should have been his exit.  It would have shown the team and community just getting there wasn't enough.  

This team is going to have to change their M.O. and trade veteran players for draft picks, trade their first rounder this year, and bring in at least 5 quality free agents.  I understand their reluctance to bring in the very top, a la OBJ, but there were a lot of defensive players that could have made a big difference as this offense finds its way.  They will likely have to overpay, or at least up the guarantee....They made this bed, and they are the only ones that can get out of it.  

Yep

Why can't MB get it thru his thick skuall that his precious comp. picks strategy doesn't work ? How many comp. picks have been true impact players ?

Trade for the damn draft picks Mike !
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 01:43 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: 7 playoff appearances is better than 0 in a decade.

The MAIN reason this team is so bad is many.ONe,Zac Taylor is trying to play the rams offense here in the nati and he does not have the personell to do that.these players are not good enough.Two,his lines both offensive and defensive are just horrible and cannot get it done.You have heard the saying you must have top lines to win,it all starts with your lines,and that is so true.
This O-line cannot shed initial blocks and get to the second level and that is why Joe Mixon cannot run.This line is just terrible and the guy gets tackled right at the line.Bobby Hart is the worst lineman I have ever watched.the guy is too small and does not have the strength to get it done. OUr defensive line is just awlful, when you watch them they get tied up at the line and cannot get off blocks to do anything and RBs are just going to run anywhere they want.OUr secondary to jjust terrible and number 59 is awlful and preston brown could not run down my grandma.He is terrible,we need O-linemen,like at least 4,and same with linebackers,safeties, CBs and defensive linemen that can stop the run,this team is the worse I have ever watched and ZT does not seem to get it as he NEVER FIGURES OUT HOW TO PLAY THE TEs,and the running backs  for real,All he wants to do is three wide receivers and uses the tes to block and he does not know how to make adjjustements,he is going to get killed all season and the news media is just going to keep making fun of him.In case he doesn't know this team is done and does not want to do this anymore.He is way way over his head and it shows.Need to make massive changes and we need a real GM. :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul:
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 01:02 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: The MAIN reason this team is so bad is many.ONe,Zac Taylor is trying to play the rams offense here in the nati and he does not have the personell to do that.these players are not good enough.Two,his lines both offensive and defensive are just horrible and cannot get it done.You have heard the saying you must have top lines to win,it all starts with your lines,and that is so true.
This O-line cannot shed initial blocks and get to the second level and that is why Joe Mixon cannot run.This line is just terrible and the guy gets tackled right at the line.Bobby Hart is the worst lineman I have ever watched.the guy is too small and does not have the strength to get it done. OUr defensive line is just awlful, when you watch them they get tied up at the line and cannot get off blocks to do anything and RBs are just going to run anywhere they want.OUr secondary to jjust terrible and number 59 is awlful and preston brown could not run down my grandma.He is terrible,we need O-linemen,like at least 4,and same with linebackers,safeties, CBs and defensive linemen that can stop the run,this team is the worse I have ever watched and ZT does not seem to get it as he NEVER FIGURES OUT HOW TO PLAY THE TEs,and the running backs  for real,All he wants to do is three wide receivers and uses the tes to block and he does not know how to make adjjustements,he is going to get killed all season and the news media is just going to keep making fun of him.In case he doesn't know this team is done and does not want to do this anymore.He is way way over his head and it shows.Need to make massive changes and we need a real GM. :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul:

PARAGRAPHS

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 01:02 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: The MAIN reason this team is so bad is many.ONe,Zac Taylor is trying to play the rams offense here in the nati and he does not have the personell to do that.these players are not good enough.Two,his lines both offensive and defensive are just horrible and cannot get it done.You have heard the saying you must have top lines to win,it all starts with your lines,and that is so true.

[Image: ancient-aliens-giorgio-tsoukalos-mars-at...ck-ack.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 09:32 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

Why can't MB get it thru his thick skuall that his precious comp. picks strategy doesn't work ? How many comp. picks have been true impact players ?

Trade for the damn draft picks Mike !

I honestly believe they will have to do it differently than the past based on attendance and what next year would look like if they don't.  This is unprecedented.  
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 10:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I honestly believe they will have to do it differently than the past based on attendance and what next year would look like if they don't.  This is unprecedented.  

I’m getting flashbacks to the “Major League” movie so maybe Mike Brown wants to move the team to Las Vegas, San Diego, or San Antonio. All of those cities want an NFL team bad. I hear Miami wants one too.
Reply/Quote