Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most single-game grades below 70.0 among QBs since 2011:
(10-25-2019, 05:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wait a second.  What are these numbers?  They are not the "passer rating" we are all used to.

Dalton only has 37 games with a passer rating under 70 in his career.

Is this some of that PFF junk?

Since 81 games is way over half of the games Dalton has played (127) I am guessing a 70 rating is above average and not nearly as bad as a 70 passer rating.

In fact, if the posted the top 10 I bet you would see some more very good QBs on that list.

The "average" grade is slightly different for each position. For example, this year, the QB in the 16th position is graded at 72.2 (Dalton is 21st, 63.8). 2018 the "average" grade was 77.8 (Dalton was 12th, 81.9). 2017 was 72.2 (Dalton was 15th, 72.7). 2016 was 73.4 (Dalton was 19th, 70.6). 2015 was 70.4 (Dalton was 8th, 81.7). The "average" TE (#16) in 2018 was 69.4. The "average" WR (#32) was 75.2 in 2018. A lot of the "average" is dependent on the % of snaps compared to the maximum the top player has. 

In every instance, except this year, Dalton's grade is "green" which is considered a good grade. A literal per game "average grade" is around 65.0 on the scale.

For every position group, the "average" (top 16 for QB, top 32 for WR/S/CB. Top 16 for C. Top 32 for G/T, etc) season grade is around 69-72, while and average game grade is around 65 (due to the color coding, 65 being a yellowish green). Don't ask me to explain how that works because they don't publish exactly how the grades are calculated and how the seasonal grades (combination of grades) are determined. Even though they're slightly different, they are still consistent. 

To muddy it just a bit more...there's an "overall" grade (the one i provided above) and there are specific grades--QB for example--on passing, running and fumbles, which are combined in their formula to give an overall grade (again, that i provided above for Dalton). 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 07:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not a huge fan of PFF grades. I think their rankings give a good reference material, but not an inarguable standpoint.

It's also a counting stat, which isn't good comparison since at least 50% of all starting QBs in the league right now have been starters for less than 5 years. Mitchell Trubisky could have been below 70 graded every single game of his entire 2.5 year career and still wouldn't be able to make that list.

That said, I do recognize that Dalton has had a lot of really low lows in his career. Doubly so when you figure in the Marvin Primetime/Steelers failures.

That statistic was every QB "since 2011". So, if you're on that list, it means you've played a lot of games...which doesn't bode well for Dalton. None of the QBs on that list should surprise anyone, since pretty much everyone here would agree, based on their perception of those QBs (except for the DDs, who probably don't think Dalton belongs) that each one belongs on the list. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 09:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Am I missing something here? I was expecting to see Dalton on the list?

Dalton is 7th.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 04:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WINNING!
Reply/Quote