Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The mystery circuit
In our house we have one central circuit breaker box that is supposed to control everything in the house, but there's one circuit not connected to any of the regular breakers and that circuit is a GFI box in one bathroom on just one side nobody uses. That very same circuit also supplies power to the only two outside outlets on the  back porch and deck.. For reasons only known to the mystery circuit conglomerate that GFI will trip and for several days we won't have power on the back porch until either myself or my gf remembers about the mystery GFI. Now there is one breaker that will turn power on or off ,but it's the main breaker to the entire house ,but no other breaker controls the mystery GFI.. The only reason we know that this mystery GFI even exist is because a few years ago I had plugged a radio into the outlet on the porch trying to figure out why it had lost power for several months and my gf had inadvertently reset the GFI in the  bathroom and suddenly loud music was blaring from the porch.. AHAH! The GFI in the bathroom that nobody ever uses.. 
Well, anyway the porch outlet was dead this morning and of course I'm in the garage trying to figure out why.. I went through every circuit and nothing was tripped and then she remembered the mystery GFI in the  bathroom that nobody ever uses.. Why the only two outlets on the outside of the house are run through the mystery GFI in the bathroom that nobody ever uses is anyone's guess .. 
Two new extension cords and phone chargers later I have power to my phone on the back porch . I really could've lived without the aggravation.. 
Making a sign to be placed on the outside outlet to remind me about the mystery GFI..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The second bathroom must have been added after the house was originally built.
Reply/Quote
Circuit tracers aren't expensive, and you may even be able to rent one, but I can virtually guarantee you that the GFCI in the bathroom is not without a breaker. If, as Fred hypothesized, it was part of an addition or renovation, it might be on a bedroom circuit.
Reply/Quote
The outside outlets are wired in series off the GFI. When the GFI blows, it only blows that outlet and anything behind it. There's still power coming from your breaker box to the GFI it's just being stopped by the outlet itself. If you reset the GFI and plug your radio in with it turned on, you can test each breaker in the box and when the radio goes off, that's the one. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Burn the house to the ground
Check the foundation
Build new with all new wiring
Profit from the leftover insurance money and buy a new car or hookers or heroine or something.

EDIT: LOL, "heroine" - yeah, go buy Wonder Woman...the new one not the old one".
It should be heroin, lol.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 04:46 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Burn the house to the ground
Check the foundation
Profit from the leftover insurance money and buy a new car or hookers or heroine or something.

EDIT: LOL, "heroine" - yeah, go buy Wonder Woman...the new one not the old one".

I concur!  Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 04:46 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Burn the house to the ground
Check the foundation

Hell, I'll buy either, but would prefer to buy both!
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 07:17 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Hell, I'll buy either, but would prefer to buy both!

One couldn’t even imagine the orgasm. Well, maybe imagine a little.

[Image: WonderWoman-1468425151.gif]

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 10:05 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: One couldn’t even imagine the orgasm. Well, maybe imagine a little.

[Image: WonderWoman-1468425151.gif]

I don't know they'd enjoy them THAT much...

Oh, you meant me Wink
Reply/Quote
I'm going to pass on heroin.. I spent 10 years in rehab on methadone, but a heroine? I live with one.. 

I wrote the above on her phone so BROWNIE POINTS!
(as if that ever got me anywhere...)
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote