Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new kid no one is talking about
I have not seen much talk about our 7th round selection Jordan Brown. This was a selection I actually liked. Yes he is a small school kid but his size, speed, and length measurables are very good and he has been productive over his career. He got a Senior Bowl and combine invite and showed well at both.

He can play off coverage as well as man to man. 6'0" 201 and ran a solid 4.51 and actually came in under 4.5 at his pro day. Has shown good athleticism and did not look out of place at all in Mobile.

I think he could surprise some by making this roster. As I see it:

For sure:

William Jackson
Dre Kirkpatrick
Darqueze Dennard

After that it is a crapshoot of who makes the roster.

Darius Phillips (I think his speed and return ability get him a spot)
Davontae Harris (I think his speed and youth get him a spot)

After this who knows which is why I think with his size and athleticism he will beat out what we have left in McRae, Webb, and Russell.
Reply/Quote
Webb is an enigma. He could not even make an NFL roster in 2017, yet he played over 1000 snaps for the Giants last year.

So far he has made the roster of 5 different NFL teams, but never lasted more than a year with any of them.

I know some guys are late bloomers, but this guy was drafted the same year as Tyler Eifert.

I was surprised we did not take a CB higher in the draft with Dennard on just a one year deal.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 03:08 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Darius Phillips (I think his speed and return ability get him a spot)

Phillips played 232 snaps at CB last year, Harris played zero.

Was Harris injured last year?

I was suprised when I looked up how much Phillips played.  I don't remember him doing anythin g really bad or really good.  But at least the coaches got a good look at him.  Maybe that is why we were in no big hurry to draft a CB this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 03:08 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I have not seen much talk about our 7th round selection Jordan Brown. This was a selection I actually liked. Yes he is a small school kid but his size, speed, and length measurables are very good and he has been productive over his career. He got a Senior Bowl and combine invite and showed well at both.

He can play off coverage as well as man to man. 6'0" 201 and ran a solid 4.51 and actually came in under 4.5 at his pro day. Has shown good athleticism and did not look out of place at all in Mobile.

For sure:

William Jackson
Dre Kirkpatrick
Darqueze Dennard

After this who knows which is why I think with his size and athleticism he will beat out what we have left in McRae, Webb, and Russell.

I think Russell makes it over Harris...

Brown and Russell as the last two Corners, Will Jax, Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Phillips, Russell, Brown.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 03:08 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I have not seen much talk about our 7th round selection Jordan Brown. This was a selection I actually liked. Yes he is a small school kid but his size, speed, and length measurables are very good and he has been productive over his career. He got a Senior Bowl and combine invite and showed well at both.

For sure:

William Jackson
Dre Kirkpatrick
Darqueze Dennard

You stated it, coaches and FO saw Phillips, McCrae, Russell and Harris a year ago. I like Russell and McCrae and obvious staff loved Phillips, he played a lot. Butw I do think Brown has a great shot as a 7th round pick to make the roster or at a minimum our practice squad.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Here's a post I put on his thread after he was drafted. Not sure if I should be thrilled with our 7th round addition . . . or concerned about our 3rd round LB
Quote:I feel that not enough is said about picking up this kid. He looks outstanding for a 7th rounder. Granted, this is only NFL.com but this is where I started and found out something
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/allPositions

4 players have the same ranking of 5.63, ranked from 99-102 overall . . . 3 of those 4 are now Bengals
Kris Boyd 7th round pick 3 CB - Minnesota Vikings
Jordan Brown 7th round pick 9 CB
Rodney Anderson 6th round pick 39 RB
Germaine Pratt 3rd round pick 9 . . . i.n.t.e.r.e.s.t.i.n.g

Of the 31 CBs drafted, only three were drafted after Brown yet he was tied with Kris Boyd as the 14th/15th overall ranked CB
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/CB
This kid looks like he slid because he didn't face stiff competition on a weekly basis. He's low enough on the depth chart that he can be coached up. This seems plausible now that Marvin Lewis is out of town.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 03:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Phillips played 232 snaps at CB last year, Harris played zero.

Was Harris injured last year?

I was suprised when I looked up how much Phillips played.  I don't remember him doing anythin g really bad or really good.  But at least the coaches got a good look at him.  Maybe that is why we were in no big hurry to draft a CB this year.

He went on IR the first week of the season (if I remember correctly).  I know he came off IR in December, but I don't think he was ever active.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 03:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think Russell makes it over Harris...

Brown and Russell as the last two Corners, Will Jax, Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Phillips, Russell, Brown.

I think Webb is pretty much a lock given his contract status and the fact that he was one of the guys Anarumo brought over from the Giants.  WJIII and Kirk are also locks in my mind.  I think there's a small chance Dennard gets cut if Webb beats him out for the nickel CB role and the youngsters really impress, but he's probably safe.

Russell and McRae are both handicapped in the battle for the presumed final two spots simply due to only having 1 year left on their deals.  They have to outplay Harris, Russell, and Brown by a wide margin to justify beating them out, as those guys all have 3 or 4 years left.  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 03:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Webb is an enigma.  He could not even make an NFL roster in 2017, yet he played over 1000 snaps for the Giants last year.

So far he has made the roster of 5 different NFL teams, but never lasted more than a year with any of them.

I know some guys are late bloomers, but this guy was drafted the same year as Tyler Eifert.

I was surprised we did not take a CB higher in the draft with Dennard on just a one year deal.

And with Greedy Williams falling so far down the list...
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 03:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You stated it, coaches and FO saw Phillips, McCrae, Russell and Harris a year ago. I like Russell and McCrae and obvious staff loved Phillips, he played a lot. Butw I do think Brown has a great shot as a 7th round pick to make the roster or at a minimum our practice squad.

Phillips played a lot due to everyone else being injured.

If Brown is going to make it as the last corner, he needs to stop being beyond horrible at tackling. It's pretty shocking how soft he is and how he goes out of his way to avoid contact
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 06:48 PM)Mobster Wrote: Phillips played a lot due to everyone else being injured.

If Brown is going to make it as the last corner, he needs to stop being beyond horrible at tackling. It's pretty shocking how soft he is and how he goes out of his way to avoid contact

He is not a horrible tackler and oddly enough coaches that have worked with him do not seem to find it an issue.

Hmm… didn't see soft in the video below. What I did see was a kid with great ball skills.

https://www.patriots.com/video/2019-draft-prospects-jordan-brown-cb-south-dakota-state
Reply/Quote
The kid has some sick ball skills. I’d keep him on the roster just for that reason. We’d finally have a CB that wasn’t allergic to INT’s. Must come from his time playing WR for our new QB, in high school.
Reply/Quote
what might seperate the last few spots at CB is if Phillips can establish himself as a dangerous return man.
how long as it been since the Bengals have a punt returner thats a threat every time he returns a
punt?
Brown my feeling is has to clearly outplay Harris to secure the final.CB spot.
Russel didnt do anything last year to secure him a spot this year.
Tony McRae sticks around due to soecial teams ability.
so if Jordan Brown can blanket WRs and get in a few pass breakups and wrap up WRs he could push Russell
and Harris off the roster.
Reply/Quote
I like deshaun davis
Reply/Quote
Yeah he had 3rd or 4th range on him, so great value. With so much talk of the LB position, it's good to see corner improve even if it ends up being marginal.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 05:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think Webb is pretty much a lock given his contract status and the fact that he was one of the guys Anarumo brought over from the Giants.  WJIII and Kirk are also locks in my mind.  I think there's a small chance Dennard gets cut if Webb beats him out for the nickel CB role and the youngsters really impress, but he's probably safe.

Russell and McRae are both handicapped in the battle for the presumed final two spots simply due to only having 1 year left on their deals.  They have to outplay Harris, Russell, and Brown by a wide margin to justify beating them out, as those guys all have 3 or 4 years left.  

I agree. Webb had success under Anarumo with the Giants, so being familiar with him will help Webb a lot. Maybe Anarumo has developed Webb into being a solid slot corner or #4 CB? I think our secondary is in pretty decent shape. Hell, maybe some of these guys can move to LB. 
Reply/Quote
Interestingly Harris was the guys coaches were really enamored with in camp last year. I wonder if our lack of interest in a CB this year was a combination of Webb and Harris.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 10:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: what might seperate the last few spots at CB is if Phillips can establish himself as a dangerous return man.
how long as it been since the Bengals have a punt returner thats a threat every time he returns a
punt?

so if Jordan Brown can blanket WRs and get in a few pass breakups and wrap up WRs he could push Russell

Adam Jones from 2010-2017 and Alex Erickson from 2016-2019.

Oh wait...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

For sure:

William Jackson
Dre Kirkpatrick
Darqueze Dennard

Has anyone taken the time to look at the return highlights on Brandon Wilson and Darrius Phillips...they are simply great...heres to hoping A new coach can see the abilities in the younger players and give them a CHANCE to make plays...and more than just ONE CHANCE to screw up!
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 10:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: what might seperate the last few spots at CB is if Phillips can  establish himself as a dangerous return man.
punt?

Return guys were one of Marvin's biggest weaknesses. Once someone had a decent game it was like he was locked on for several seasons regardless of production as long as he didn't fumble game after game. I think lack of fumbles was Marvin's ONLY criteria for a return guy..  While definitely important it shouldn't be the only consideration and yet that's just the way it seemed over Marvin's tenure.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote