Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mason Cole
The versatile lineman from Michigan often get lost in the conversation. Experts say his position in the NFL will be Center, but has experience at all 5 spots. Could be had in the 3rd or 4th round if we don't go center early.
http://www.nfl.com/prospects/mason-cole?id=32462018-0002-5600-8995-5da6060a8db7
What are you guys thoughts on him?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 05:40 PM)Knightmare on Elm Street Wrote: The versatile lineman from Michigan often get lost in the conversation. Experts say his position in the NFL will be Center, but has experience at all 5 spots. Could be had in the 3rd or 4th round if we don't go center early.

Really like him, he is my 2nd favorite versatile O-lineman in this Draft besides Isiaah Wynn.
Reply/Quote
If we don’t take a center in the first 3 rounds, then Cole becomes my favorite center option. If we do take a center early, I still like the idea of taking Cole as a super back-up for all 3 interior spots.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 07:46 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: If we don’t take a center in the first 3 rounds, then Cole becomes my favorite center option. If we do take a center early, I still like the idea of taking Cole as a super back-up for all 3 interior spots.

Same here, as i said in the Price vs Daniels thread, if we don't take one of the top 3 Centers i would be furious but it would
depend on if we got this guy in the 3rd or so. I would still be happy with Cole.
Reply/Quote
People tend to get caught up in early round lineman, but there are plenty of good lines made up of mid to late round picks. Heck look at Andrew Norwell who went from UDFA to highest paid guard ever.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 05:40 PM)Knightmare on Elm Street Wrote: The versatile lineman from Michigan often get lost in the conversation. Experts say his position in the NFL will be Center, but has experience at all 5 spots. Could be had in the 3rd or 4th round if we don't go center early.

He's a C I like with either the 3rd round compensatory pick or 4th round pick if for some reason they don't get Daniels, Price, or Ragnow.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 08:35 AM)Au165 Wrote: People tend to get caught up in early round lineman, but there are plenty of good lines made up of mid to late round picks. Heck look at Andrew Norwell who went from UDFA to highest paid guard ever.

Very true.  The last real good C we had was an UDFA.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 08:35 AM)Au165 Wrote: People tend to get caught up in early round lineman, but there are plenty of good lines made up of mid to late round picks. Heck look at Andrew Norwell who went from UDFA to highest paid guard ever.

That's true, but we've also seen the likes of Nate Livings, Eric Ghiacuc, Bodine and countless other mid to late rounders in Cincy that never contribute anything close to good line play.

If we really are trying to win games with the current core players, we need to have guys that can step right in and play.  We can't mess around with another year of shitty interior o-line play.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 02:14 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: That's true, but we've also seen the likes of Nate Livings, Eric Ghiacuc, Bodine and countless other mid to late rounders in Cincy that never contribute anything close to good line play.

If we really are trying to win games with the current core players, we need to have guys that can step right in and play.  We can't mess around with another year of shitty interior o-line play.

Interior lineman is the place where mid round guys flourish. If you told me we needed tackles, which we still may but this conversation revolves around interior, I'd agree with you more. Clint Boling was a 4th round pick and while he wasn't great his rookie year, very few lineman are, he has developed well over the years. My point is the idea that if we don't take a guy in the first 2 rounds we are destined to fail is just false expectations. Plenty of lineman from early rounds end up failures just like plenty of lineman in the mid to late flourish, the draft and where guys are taken doesn't dictate how good someone will. 

This really is about fixing expectations, a lot of people have differing opinions of how to fix the team and many will be upset if their concern isn't addressed in the first round, we found last year that sometimes you can fix issues with 4th round picks. I think in this class there are plenty of 3rd and 4th round graded lineman that can make our team better, but with that said I am not opposed to one early I simply don't think it is a requirement if the board shakes out differently.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 02:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: Interior lineman is the place where mid round guys flourish. If you told me we needed tackles, which we still may but this conversation revolves around interior, I'd agree with you more. Clint Boling was a 4th round pick and while he wasn't great his rookie year, very few lineman are, he has developed well over the years. My point is the idea that if we don't take a guy in the first 2 rounds we are destined to fail is just false expectations. Plenty of lineman from early rounds end up failures just like plenty of lineman in the mid to late flourish, the draft and where guys are taken doesn't dictate how good someone will. 

This really is about fixing expectations, a lot of people have differing opinions of how to fix the team and many will be upset if their concern isn't addressed in the first round, we found last year that sometimes you can fix issues with 4th round picks. I think in this class there are plenty of 3rd and 4th round graded lineman that can make our team better, but with that said I am not opposed to one early I simply don't think it is a requirement if the board shakes out differently.

Agreed.

But I think for most people, the thought around taking players earlier is because you have less options to pick from the later you get.
Yet ultimately, a good scouting department can find those mid-late round guys who perform well. So you don't NEED to take someone early necessarily if you're good at finding those gems late.
I think though at this point, many fans don't believe the Bengals are good at finding those Day 3 gems and therefore must try to address early.

I'll add in though that the problem could very well have been Paul Alexander's approach at evaluating players and maybe Frank Pollack will have better success finding late-round gems. We'll have to wait and see I guess.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 03:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed.

But I think for most people, the thought around taking players earlier is because you have less options to pick from the later you get.
Yet ultimately, a good scouting department can find those mid-late round guys who perform well. So you don't NEED to take someone early necessarily if you're good at finding those gems late.
I think though at this point, many fans don't believe the Bengals are good at finding those Day 3 gems and therefore must try to address early.

I'll add in though that the problem could very well have been Paul Alexander's approach at evaluating players and maybe Frank Pollack will have better success finding late-round gems. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Well, if Pollack doesn't evaluate linemen by whether or not they can knock him down, I call that a big step in the right direction.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote