Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The next McVay
In the 2019 head coach carousel, the trend was to hire the next young, offensive-minded coach in the Sean McVay mold. Their records so far this year:

McVay 6-1
Kingsbury 7-0
LaFleur 6-1
Taylor 5-2
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 08:17 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: In the 2019 head coach carousel, the trend was to hire the next young, offensive-minded coach in the Sean McVay mold. Their records so far this year:

McVay  6-1
Kingsbury  7-0
LaFleur  6-1
Taylor  5-2

Seems to be panning out
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 08:17 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: In the 2019 head coach carousel, the trend was to hire the next young, offensive-minded coach in the Sean McVay mold. Their records so far this year:

McVay  6-1
Kingsbury  7-0
LaFleur  6-1
Taylor  5-2

The funny thing too is that both LaFleur and Taylor actually coached under McVay.

LaFleur has been the best out of everyone though so far.
32-7 record (.821).
Beast.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 12:02 AM)ochocincos Wrote: The funny thing too is that both LaFleur and Taylor actually coached under McVay.

LaFleur has been the best out of everyone though so far.
32-7 record (.821).
Beast.

Well sure, he inherited Aaron Rodgers…

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 12:36 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well sure, he inherited Aaron Rodgers…

They also had 2 losing seasons the years before he took over and people thinking Rodgers was done. Since he became coach they haven't lost more than 3 games. Having Rodgers is big but you have to give him credit for immediately righting the ship and making them back into superbowl contenders. 
Reply/Quote
It really makes a difference when you inherit a HOF QB, while Zac inherited an old roster and food stamps.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 12:36 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well sure, he inherited Aaron Rodgers…

I wonder when people will start saying that about ZT.  "Well, he has always had Joe Burrow".  
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 08:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wonder when people will start saying that about ZT.  "Well, he has always had Joe Burrow".  

He didn’t though. His first season he had the baddest version of bad Andy, and Ryan Finley. LaFleur walked right into a great situation with a HoF QB.

But I get your sentiment. I’m sure Burrow will get most of the credit in whatever success this team has. How fair that is who knows.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 07:45 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: It really makes a difference when you inherit a HOF QB, while Zac inherited an old roster and food stamps.

True. Marvin left the cupboard almost completely bare when he (finally) left.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 08:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wonder when people will start saying that about ZT.  "Well, he has always had Joe Burrow".  

I'd say right about now, since I'm pretty sure he is 4-18 as a HC without Burrow.
Reply/Quote
Zac still needs to go. Thank you.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 07:45 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: It really makes a difference when you inherit a HOF QB, while Zac inherited an old roster and food stamps.

Nope. Marvin took the food stamps with him. All that was left was mediocrity, attitude and pissed off fans.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 10:35 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Zac still needs to go. Thank you.

lol there we go, knew there still had to be some of these folks out there.  your days as a zac hater are numbered!  

WHO DEY! Who Dey Who Dey Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 11:12 AM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: lol there we go, knew there still had to be some of these folks out there.  your days as a zac hater are numbered!  

WHO DEY! Who Dey Who Dey Who Dey

Tiger  The player talent has been the difference. It's very obvious. Tiger
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 11:14 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Tiger  The player talent has been the difference. It's very obvious. Tiger

And who assembled that talent? Unless you’re giving Tobin 100% of the credit, you have to admit Taylor has put together a hell of a team.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 10:35 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Zac still needs to go. Thank you.

If he gets this team to a winning record, I'm fine with Taylor staying.
He only needs 4 more wins in 10 games to accomplish that, but it's not guaranteed.
With the win against BAL last week, I think attaining a winning record is feasible.
If they can somehow go into the bye on a win streak, it'd put them at 7-2, and I'd have high confidence they'll end the season with a winning record at that point, and likely a postseason appearance.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 11:18 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And who assembled that talent? Unless you’re giving Tobin 100% of the credit, you have to admit Taylor has put together a hell of a team.

About the only picks that I thought were head scratchers were Sample in Rd 2 and Finley in Rd 4.
I thought both were reaches.

His 1st round picks have all been great, and his 3rd rounders have been good too (I have optimism for Ossai).
2nd round has been good overall aside from my personal opinion of the Sample reach.

If you can most often nail the first 3 rounds of the draft year after year, you're eventually going to have a really solid team.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The reason Marvin stayed as HC for more than a decade was because we got into the playoffs a couple of times.

Was it the coach or was it the players?
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 11:26 AM)ochocincos Wrote: About the only picks that I thought were head scratchers were Sample in Rd 2 and Finley in Rd 4.
I thought both were reaches.

His 1st round picks have all been great, and his 3rd rounders have been good too (I have optimism for Ossai).
2nd round has been good overall aside from my personal opinion of the Sample reach.

If you can most often nail the first 3 rounds of the draft year after year, you're eventually going to have a really solid team.

You have to add all the FA’s, too. For whatever reason we certainly never brought them in like that under Marvin. He’s helped put together a really good roster.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 11:28 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Was it the coach or was it the players?

Well, I'd trade ZT straight up for more head coaches than I'd trade Burrow for QBs...that's one way to look at it.
Reply/Quote