Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The next step
This Denver game I think means more than any game in the last five years. While we have secured a fifth straight playoff appearance, this game is the next step in the Bengals growth as a team -- securing a #1 or #2 seed and a bye.

Only six teams that were in the wildcard have won the super bowl (wildcard started in 1978)
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I agree. We've never had the opportunity to get a first round bye this late in the season, let alone a chance to officially lock it up in a single game.

I still think we are a 25% chance of winning, but I hope it'll be a good game. McCarron was starting his first game ever in the NFL and had to shake off the jitters. I am hopeful that he plays even better in Denver.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 05:07 PM)EatonFan Wrote: This Denver game I think means more than any game in the last five years.  While we have secured a fifth straight playoff appearance, this game is the next step in the Bengals growth as a team -- securing a #1 or #2 seed and a bye.

Only six teams that were in the wildcard have won the super bowl (wildcard started in 1978)

Maybe you stated it wrong but there have been a lot of teams in the WC round that have won the SB...Maybe you meant WC teams (not division winners)..

Just since 1990, according to this graph... http://www.nfl.com/superbowlchamps/seeding...There have been 8 teams that were not the 1 or 2 seed (first round bye), thus being in the WC round.  It is true that only 6 WC teams have won the SB...The thing is that the Bengals, even with a loss at Denver, should win the division against Baltimore the following week.  We can also lose to Denver and Denver lose to SD in week 17 coupled with a victory over Baltimore and still get the bye.

All is not lost in Bengaldom and this is the NFL...Any given Sunday...WHODEY!!!
Reply/Quote
I hope that Baltimore comes to play against Pittsburgh like they're going to come to play against the Bengals the following week. One can hope for a miracle.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'll have to re-read that article. One of those have to be in err. I'd have to defer to your link as it's on nfl.com
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Let me see if I get this right, if we win, we get a bye in playoffs and a chance to begin the playoffs with our #1 QB.

If we lose, we probably have to begin the playoffs without our #1 QB at the helm.

Yeah, I'd say this is a huge game.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 05:07 PM)EatonFan Wrote: This Denver game I think means more than any game in the last five years.  While we have secured a fifth straight playoff appearance, this game is the next step in the Bengals growth as a team -- securing a #1 or #2 seed and a bye.

Most important regular season game, yes.

As for all games, I'd say the last 4 playoff games had more meaning in them, at least going into them. A win in any of them would have given us a playoff win and sent us into another round.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 06:30 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: McCarron was starting his first game ever in the NFL and had to shake off the jitters. I am hopeful that he plays even better in Denver.

Dude had a 120 passer rating. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

I agree Eaton

This team has still yet to truly, fully, shake the big game jitters. I know some will argue we've won this game, that game, blah, blah.

But still in my opinion this team has not been playing well the last several weeks overall and if they're truly going to make a deep playoff run the badly need to turn that around !
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 08:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Dude had a 120 passer rating. 

Statistically he was fine. But he began the game with 5 straight series with no points scored and ended the game with 5 straight series with no points scored.

2 of the 4 scoring drives started in the Red Zone and a third started on the 36 yard line of the 49ers. The 4th one was a field goal, but he did do pretty well, 

Obviously, the run game was a part of that as well, including the only turnover of the game for the Bengals.

He had some beauties of deep passes, but he also had some really bad series.

I'm not saying this because I think he played terribly. But the statistics are kind of misleading.

I just hope he can iron out those consecutive 3 and outs and punts a little bit. I don't expect them to score every play, but he should be able to do a bit more to help flip field position.

It worked out because they were playing a team of toddlers on Stilts dressed as the San Francisco 49ers, but the Broncos will not be so forgiving.
Reply/Quote
In my mind, this game is a must win game. I don't care who's hurt or who's not playing, this is a must win game.

A win in Denver on Monday Night Football, a win makes the Bengals the AFC North Champions and a win gives the Bengals at least the number 2 Seed is a must win game. I know Denver is playing for a lot as well and it's going to be a tough game to win but I can't stress enough how important this game is.

Even with all I listed as to how important this game is, it's also a game that if won it will have a psychological effect on the Bengals players as well.

Then you have to think about the team that had to travel to Cincinnati for that Divisional Round and the psychological effect it will have on them.

If the Bengals lose this game, not much will change for the players except for maybe excuses about why they lost but the other team that has to play the Bengals will get a boost knowing that not that long ago, the Bengals lost to the Texans at home and with the Division on the line they lost to the Steelers at home giving the other team a little more confidence.

This is a must win game.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
Ifs the most important regular season game we've had in my 24 years of being alive. Without Dalton we'll need Eifert and a great defensive performance
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
There's no doubt in my mind our ability to win this game is present. However, they must play hard all 60 minutes. Pedal to the metal and don't let up.

Reply/Quote

And every time that I start thinking about the game, my emotions rise and fall and rise and fall like on the Daimondback at Kings Island.

Positives-

The Defense.  Even without Iloka, having Adam Jones back, Geno playing (I'm sure they will limit his snaps, but still...his presence changes everything), and Burfict playing almost all the nickel snaps.  This group can shut down any team.  

Special teams- coverage units, Huber, and Nug in the thin air...both also used to kicking in the cold.  I'm not as thrilled about the return team sans Adam Jones, but I have a feeling Tate might actually make a big play (did I just type that?)

Experience-  This may be the biggest regular season game in a long time, but this team has a veteran group that will not flinch in the face of adversity.  

Negatives- 

QB- It isn't that I lack faith in McCarron, but I lack faith in McCarron.  I love the guy's moxy and he is more than capable of leading the team.  My fear centers around the knowledge of NFL "windows", and the fact that Denver has two very good CBs and is getting their safety (TJ Ward) back for this game.  I would hope the game plan would include some bootlegs to get him rolling out where it reduces his field read and gives him some scrambling options (but get DOWN and avoid hits).  

Coaching-  Picturing Marvin do his golf clap and saying "let's go" makes me literally sick to my stomach.  The leadership and attitude will not come from the coach, but from the team.  He simply can't be the wet blanket to put out the fire of the team.  He should tell his leaders that he wants to see passion and enthusiasm right from the first snap.  Screw this "composure" crap.  That doesn't mean to have a bunch of personal fouls, but get out there ready to lay the wood to someone.  Show your teammates that you are ready to take control of your destiny.   Team captains should be:  McCarron, Hill, Adam Jones, Burfict, and Peerman.   I think Marvin will play the game of "don't turn the ball over" and hope that Osweiler makes the first mistake.  I hope Hue actually spreads out Denver and lets McCarron attack them with short, quick passes to protect him from their pass rush.  

Running game-  I don't hold out a lot of hope for the sudden arrival of a power running game against the #1 defense in the NFL.  I simply can't imagine that Hue has been "saving" something for this cold weather playoff run as it relates to the running game.  It would be amazing if they came out and pounded the Broncos with Hill and the offensive line, but it is kind of like hoping the weather in December is tropical in Ohio...it has never been before.  (although it was about 60 degrees yesterday!)

This game is huge.  It is huge for both teams.  This could be one of the defining moments of this team in the Dalton/Green era.  C'mon, guys.  All your work this season comes down to this.  Win and you get to rest against the Ratbirds and also have a bye.  Let's go! 
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 07:03 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I hope that Baltimore comes to play against Pittsburgh like they're going to come to play against the Bengals the following week. One can hope for a miracle.

With Jimmy Clausen at the helm and no weapons to speak of, I don't see this happening.  The real miracle would be that should the Bengals lose to Denver, the Broncos follow that up with a loss to San Diego a week later and hand the Bengals back the #2 seed.  
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 07:03 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I hope that Baltimore comes to play against Pittsburgh like they're going to come to play against the Bengals the following week. One can hope for a miracle.

I expect Baltimore has their eye on a very high draft pick, so I don't expect them put up much of a fight their next two games.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2015, 11:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And every time that I start thinking about the game, my emotions rise and fall and rise and fall like on the Daimondback at Kings Island.

Positives-

The Defense.  Even without Iloka, having Adam Jones back, Geno playing (I'm sure they will limit his snaps, but still...his presence changes everything), and Burfict playing almost all the nickel snaps.  This group can shut down any team.  

Special teams- coverage units, Huber, and Nug in the thin air...both also used to kicking in the cold.  I'm not as thrilled about the return team sans Adam Jones, but I have a feeling Tate might actually make a big play (did I just type that?)

Experience-  This may be the biggest regular season game in a long time, but this team has a veteran group that will not flinch in the face of adversity.  

Negatives- 

QB- It isn't that I lack faith in McCarron, but I lack faith in McCarron.  I love the guy's moxy and he is more than capable of leading the team.  My fear centers around the knowledge of NFL "windows", and the fact that Denver has two very good CBs and is getting their safety (TJ Ward) back for this game.  I would hope the game plan would include some bootlegs to get him rolling out where it reduces his field read and gives him some scrambling options (but get DOWN and avoid hits).  

Coaching-  Picturing Marvin do his golf clap and saying "let's go" makes me literally sick to my stomach.  The leadership and attitude will not come from the coach, but from the team.  He simply can't be the wet blanket to put out the fire of the team.  He should tell his leaders that he wants to see passion and enthusiasm right from the first snap.  Screw this "composure" crap.  That doesn't mean to have a bunch of personal fouls, but get out there ready to lay the wood to someone.  Show your teammates that you are ready to take control of your destiny.   Team captains should be:  McCarron, Hill, Adam Jones, Burfict, and Peerman.   I think Marvin will play the game of "don't turn the ball over" and hope that Osweiler makes the first mistake.  I hope Hue actually spreads out Denver and lets McCarron attack them with short, quick passes to protect him from their pass rush.  

Running game-  I don't hold out a lot of hope for the sudden arrival of a power running game against the #1 defense in the NFL.  I simply can't imagine that Hue has been "saving" something for this cold weather playoff run as it relates to the running game.  It would be amazing if they came out and pounded the Broncos with Hill and the offensive line, but it is kind of like hoping the weather in December is tropical in Ohio...it has never been before.  (although it was about 60 degrees yesterday!)

This game is huge.  It is huge for both teams.  This could be one of the defining moments of this team in the Dalton/Green era.  C'mon, guys.  All your work this season comes down to this.  Win and you get to rest against the Ratbirds and also have a bye.  Let's go! 

A sobering view for sure. Agree on the coaches. Agree on the running game. Agree on the defense. Agree on this game being huge.

Completely understand on McCarron. AJM in his second start going up against top defense on the road is a bit much to ask for, however I'm hoping he makes few mistakes is able to do enough to keep us in the game. The one thing I do expect from him is that I expect him to not implode if something goes wrong.

Reply/Quote
I would like to see more downfield short passes to Gio, not screen passes to Gio or handoffs to Gio/Hill. Getting Gio the ball on a screen has not resulted in space. For that to happen, the O-line has to block and Gio has to make the 1st man miss.

AJM can be a poor man's dalton, he has shown some accuracy to AJ on deep balls. Keep them honest with an AJ bomb once a game and open up the middle for Gio. If only Hill could run the effing ball.

Bernard is one of the most dangerous people in the open field and we have to play to his strengths, same with every other player on the team. I'm sure AJM can dink and dunk to Gio and give him 10+ shots a game to break it open.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I don't think they're going to win because as Bengals fans we're not allowed such joy.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2015, 12:04 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I would like to see more downfield short passes to Gio, not screen passes to Gio or handoffs to Gio/Hill. Getting Gio the ball on a screen has not resulted in space. For that to happen, the O-line has to block and Gio has to make the 1st man miss.

AJM can be a poor man's dalton, he has shown some accuracy to AJ on deep balls. Keep them honest with an AJ bomb once a game and open up the middle for Gio. If only Hill could run the effing ball.

Bernard is one of the most dangerous people in the open field and we have to play to his strengths, same with every other player on the team. I'm sure AJM can dink and dunk to Gio and give him 10+ shots a game to break it open.

We hardly ever use Gio that way for whatever reason. I believe it's because there are so many receivers already.

The O-line has not run blocked well all year.

Reply/Quote