Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The offense is starting to take on Burrow's personality
The one thing Andy was never quite able to do (and I was and am a big proponent of what he did for us) was become the emotional template for the offense. Burrow is doing it, and each week we see the offense taking on Burrow's own traits, They are smarter out there, tougher minded, confident without being cocky and aggressive. They are starting a bit to think like their QB, and that is something only the best QBs typically can accomplish.

That's how you see things like against Jax Burrow calls an audible into a play they hadn't even practiced and just assumes CJ will know what to do - and he was right! He trusts his people to know what to do. He did similar stuff Sunday with both Chase and Uzo (again). The last Bengal QB to truly pull this off was actually Boomer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Definitely. He did it at LSU. I remember someone asking him after the Bama game where he shredded their defense, they asked about him maybe playing in the championship. And he just said, “Oh yeah. That’s gonna be fun.”

If he can stay healthy, sky’s the limit. Not exactly a hot take these days but I think you guys will win a super bowl with this dude. 
Reply/Quote
I’m glad he knows how to handle it. I know I don’t. I didn’t know what to do with myself yesterday after we whooped that ass. I feel like I’m supposed to get shit faced all week and party. But apparently there is a next game and Burrow has already moved on to it and I have to go to work.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 05:44 PM)Joelist Wrote: The one thing Andy was never quite able to do (and I was and am a big proponent of what he did for us) was become the emotional template for the offense. Burrow is doing it, and each week we see the offense taking on Burrow's own traits, They are smarter out there, tougher minded, confident without being cocky and aggressive. They are starting a bit to think like their QB, and that is something only the best QBs typically can accomplish.

That's how you see things like against Jax Burrow calls an audible into a play they hadn't even practiced and just assumes CJ will know what to do  - and he was right! He trusts his people to know what to do. He did similar stuff Sunday with both Chase and Uzo (again). The last Bengal QB to truly pull this off was actually Boomer.

Not just the Offense either, the Defense has a swagger to it as well big time which in turn pushes Burrow and the Offense. 

I sure bet Burrow is still thanking the D after his interception yesterday where they got him the ball right back.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 05:44 PM)Joelist Wrote: The one thing Andy was never quite able to do (and I was and am a big proponent of what he did for us) was become the emotional template for the offense. Burrow is doing it, and each week we see the offense taking on Burrow's own traits, They are smarter out there, tougher minded, confident without being cocky and aggressive. They are starting a bit to think like their QB, and that is something only the best QBs typically can accomplish.

That's how you see things like against Jax Burrow calls an audible into a play they hadn't even practiced and just assumes CJ will know what to do  - and he was right! He trusts his people to know what to do. He did similar stuff Sunday with both Chase and Uzo (again). The last Bengal QB to truly pull this off was actually Boomer.

Absolutely

This is what has me excited about (hopefully) making the playoffs. The regular season is about winning enough games to make the playoffs - once you're in anything can happen.  We've seen 6th seeded teams go on and win.

Burrow plays his best under the brightest lights and when the pressure is on. If the offense continues to take on his personality, then in the playoffs I wouldn't bet against him and this team.
Reply/Quote
Too bad Joe has such a soft, pansy-ass personality on short yardage plays.

Ninja

Actually it is ridiculous to claim Joe's personality has anything to do with us winning.  Didn't he have the same personality last year?

The team is better because the talent is better.  Not because of some magic vibe Joe just found this offseason.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 06:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually it is ridiculous to claim Joe's personality has anything to do with us winning.  Didn't he have the same personality las year?

The team is better because the talent is better.  Not because of some magic vibe Joe just found this offseason.

Mixture of both, also not sure if you heard but Joe Burrow was injured for half the season last year. 

Not to mention he’s a whole year older, more experienced, they made some changes... you’re kidding yourself if you think the QB’s vibe doesn’t rub off. 
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 06:41 PM)DesertBengal Wrote: Burrow plays his best under the brightest lights and when the pressure is on.

Guess you missed that horrible interception in overtime against the Packers.  He tried to choke away the game, but the defense bailed him out.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 06:47 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: not sure if you heard but Joe Burrow was injured for half the season last year. 

How many games did his personality win  for us before he got injured?
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 06:47 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: you’re kidding yourself if you think the QB’s vibe doesn’t rub off. 

You are kidding yourself if you think Joe is the only confident player who wants to win on the Bengals roster.  Pretty much every guy who makes it to the NFL is a hyper-competitive alpha male.

If confidence and swagger won games Johnny Manziel would be All-Pro.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 06:47 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Mixture of both, also not sure if you heard but Joe Burrow was injured for half the season last year. 

Not to mention he’s a whole year older, more experienced, they made some changes... you’re kidding yourself if you think the QB’s vibe doesn’t rub off. 

Ignore Fred, he is in his disagreeable state right now... Mellow
Reply/Quote

Agree with your statement, but they practiced that play all the time. The ball just went to other receivers instead of CJ in practice. 
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 06:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You are kidding yourself if you think Joe is the only confident player who wants to win on the Bengals roster.  Pretty much every guy who makes it to the NFL is a hyper-competitive alpha male.

If confidence and swagger won games Johnny Manziel would be All-Pro.

Johnny Manziel is a bad example, the OP did say confident without being cocky and aggressive

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Also agree with OP that Joe's swagger is rubbing off on the team and believe they did win more games last year than they would have because of his confidence.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
In their careers with the Bengals I observed the following with respect to quarterbacks:

Jon Kitna totally overachieved in 2003 and he played with heart.

Carson Palmer underachieved big time but his physical attributes were impressive.

Andy Dalton left Cincinnati with a winning record as a Bengal. He was tough, smart, and durable.

AJ McCarron had swagger and a national championship under his belt; he came the closest to winning a playoff game in the Marvin Lewis era.

+++

Joe Burrow combines the best qualities of the other four quarterbacks I just mentioned. Personally I would let Joe call his own plays. Zac Taylor has his strengths but play calling is not one of them.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 08:59 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Johnny Manziel is a bad example, the OP did say confident without being cocky and aggressive

Yep, bad example.

(10-25-2021, 09:01 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Also agree with OP that Joe's swagger is rubbing off on the team and believe they did win more games last year than they would have because of his confidence.

Agree, he is the type of QB you know you have a chance at a Championship with plain and simple.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 07:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ignore Fred, he is in his disagreeable state right now... Mellow

I can never tell when he is being sarcastic, or just in a bad mood and wanting to argue for no reason.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 05:57 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I’m glad he knows how to handle it. I know I don’t. I didn’t know what to do with myself yesterday after we whooped that ass. I feel like I’m supposed to get shit faced all week and party. But apparently there is a next game and Burrow has already moved on to it and I have to go to work.

Spot on. I didn't want Sunday night to end. I drank way too much in celebration and didn't want to stop.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 10:24 AM)pdub2005 Wrote: I can never tell when he is being sarcastic, or just in a bad mood and wanting to argue for no reason.

I think the problem when you are obsessed with statistics like he is you don’t understand the intangible factors like team leaders, confidence, team spirit etc because he can’t put a number on it. Burrow’s personality and the spirit amongst the team undoubtedly is having an impact on performances. You have to be an idiot not to see it
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 10:24 AM)pdub2005 Wrote: I can never tell when he is being sarcastic, or just in a bad mood and wanting to argue for no reason.

This is one of his worst takes to date. Of course his confidence rubs off on other players. Remember Joe Montana and John Candy?
Reply/Quote