Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The offseason has begun, a must sign to free up the draft...
They have to change their ways and have a good FA RT.  Yes my signature looks like a joke, but I truly believe they need to spend top line money on a Free Agent Right Tackle for many reasons.  

-I'll cut to the chase in response to those that claim "take the best tackle" from the draft thread.  It very well may be that tackle is not the BPA at the 9 slot.  Even if you rate a guy like Cam Robinson as the BPA, you're right back to starting a rookie at an important position.  I'd rather spend the money needed to solidify the BIGGEST hole on the roster.  Yes, RT is a bigger hole than C as the asset you'd have to use to gain a top RT is higher, no matter if it's a pick or money.  Then if for instance Robinson is hands down the BPA, maybe they still take him if one of their OL leave. I despise any scenario where Cincy goes into the draft with a hole at either tackle spot.  More likely, BPA will be a defender and if he's a DE then it's a perfect fit.  

-Sadly, the OL was supposed to be a strength, but instead Andy was running for his life all year.  I really think he was the MVP of the team and could have had almost an MVP season if given a better line.  You can debate Andy and AJ's value (AJ extends the field, the QB being worth more, etc...) like the chicken and the egg, but both get ran over while crossing the road while this OL is on the lookout.    

-The group as a whole is in flux, and stability at RT fixes a lot of the scenarios that may play out.  Whit is a leader they can't afford to lose, he has to return.  Let's not kid ourselves, they're going to try and get something out of Ogbuehi, and it won't be at RT.  Right or wrong, they may toy with him at LG and moving Boling to RG if Zeitler leaves.  I'd love to have Zeitler back, as it's hard to look good with two weak links beside of you...but he may be the top player at his position and the Bengals historically don't pay guards.  Even if you keep Whit and Zeitler, I don't know how you can fill the hole at RT with what is currently on the roster.  If Piano Man goes somehow, maybe Bodine does too.  Then you have to look at a lesser asset (mid round pick or fringe starter/good vet backup) to compete with Westerman.  I'd be fine with a big money center and therefore fringe vet RT, but they'd have actually pay a center and I already think I'm pressing my luck with an outside quality FA in the first place.  I'd also rule out FA LT, if they lose Whit they'll let the young tackles compete.

So there are a handful of guys like Ricky Wagner and Riley Reiff that the Bengals can make a push for and JUST ONCE make a big push for him.  Fly him in first class, refrain from kicking his tires, pay him the guaranteed money it will take to actually land an offensive lineman in their prime.  Think about it, if Zeitler leaves....we don't have one.    
Reply/Quote
Fisher is the RT moving forward. If you want to sign a veteran FA, do it at the guard position. A la Bobbie Williams.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have a good feeling whitworth leaves, with his wife posting thank God they made it to free agency healthy. So there's s problem if he does.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 02:15 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I have a good feeling whitworth leaves, with his wife posting thank God they made it to free agency healthy. So there's s problem if he does.

Why does that mean he is leaving?  If you are 35 and injured, you have zero leverage, so of course she is happy he made it there healthy.  Otherwise you won't get a fair market offer.
Reply/Quote
Whit made his rounds and said his goodbye's yesterday to Ravens players./coaches and workers around the stadium. Not trying to troll, but it looks like Whit is as good as gone. Lap said he's looking for 10M per year as PFF top 3 LT. That is pretty much a direct quote. Even they were saying his run here looked to be over.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I'd franchise tag Whit if I can't get him to sign a very lucrative 1 year deal.
Reply/Quote
Whit's been great and a very under rated player with the national media. He very much has had a HOF career.

But I'm letting him walk if he wants $10m per year. I do hope they can reach an agreement where he stays, though. I don't know his value but I do know the team has to be thinking about his age.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 03:24 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Whit's been great and a very under rated player with the national media. He very much has had a HOF career.

But I'm letting him walk if he wants $10m per year. I do hope they can reach an agreement where he stays, though. I don't know his value but I do know the team has to be thinking about his age.

Why?  It's not like they are going to go out and sign his replacement in FA if they let him walk.  That $10m just becomes the dreaded "roll over" - i.e. money back into the Brown family's pocket.

I'd do 2 years/$20mm for Whit and not think twice about it.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 03:24 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Whit's been great and a very under rated player with the national media. He very much has had a HOF career.

You'll know his value very well when you're watching Andy get pounded as Ogbuehi guards his blindside.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 03:27 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote:  That $10m just becomes the dreaded "roll over" - i.e. money back into the Brown family's pocket.

That money does not go into Brown's pocket.

The Bengals have actually spent over the league cap the last to years thanks to cap space they rolled over in '14.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 03:27 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: I'd do 2 years/$20mm for Whit and not think twice about it.

Same here.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 03:09 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I'd franchise tag Whit if I can't get him to sign a very lucrative 1 year deal.

Chances are that the franchise tag for the T position could be quite expensive.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Whit seems willing to get creative with his next deal...

"It really depends on how they structure things," Whitworth said. "There's ways to structure my contract to protect teams. That's what I plan to do. I plan to give every team an opportunity to structure it however it makes them feel, whatever makes them feel good about signing me. ... I'm open to anything and everything. That's what I would say. I want to play football."
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 03:31 PM)samhain Wrote: You'll know his value very well when you're watching Andy get pounded as Ogbuehi guards his blindside.

It just seems like a bit too much to me. I'd love to see him retire a Bengal. He wouldn't look right in any other uniform.

I also believe Obguehi will pan out. I know many will disagree.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 04:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Chances are that the franchise tag for the T position could be quite expensive.

I know, but if the plan is to compete next year and not rebuild, I'm fine making Whit the top paid player on the team for a year.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, if Whit leaves... I don't blame him.

He was our franchise tackle for the last decade and deserves to win a playoff game at least or a Superbowl.

He probably understands that we're most likely heading into a rebuilding stage and at 35 would rather play for a Superbowl competitor that needs a LT (like the Seahawks, Falcons, etc.)
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 05:48 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Honestly, if Whit leaves... I don't blame him.

He was our franchise tackle for the last decade and deserves to win a playoff game at least or a Superbowl.

He probably understands that we're most likely heading into a rebuilding stage and at 35 would rather play for a Superbowl competitor that needs a LT (like the Seahawks, Falcons, etc.)

Definitely no where near rebuilding stage.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 04:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Whit seems willing to get creative with his next deal...

"It really depends on how they structure things," Whitworth said. "There's ways to structure my contract to protect teams. That's what I plan to do. I plan to give every team an opportunity to structure it however it makes them feel, whatever makes them feel good about signing me. ... I'm open to anything and everything. That's what I would say. I want to play football."

To me it's kind of absurd that this is even an issue. We need Whit for two more years, and $20 million to keep Andy from getting killed is not too much.

For those who say give Ogbuehi time etc, he's an unknown commodity at the NFL level LT. He came in his first year injured, and finished his second year injured. He's no NFL level RT. We have no heir apparent to Whit. 

Pay the man, and move on (quickly) to the next issue.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
10mil a year? no thanks whit
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 02:52 PM)jj22 Wrote: Whit made his rounds and said his goodbye's yesterday to Ravens players./coaches and workers around the stadium. Not trying to troll, but it looks like Whit is as good as gone. Lap said he's looking for 10M per year as PFF top 3 LT. That is pretty much a direct quote. Even they were saying his run here looked to be over.

Agree. More power to him. He is a top tackle and at his age this could be his last big pay day. I know that you already know that. I'm just expounding on the the topic a little more. Best of luck to him.
Love to see MB man up and pay him like a lifelong Bengal.
Reply/Quote