Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The play of our LB's
What say you?

Also, where the hell is Jordan Evans?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I think the group as a whole misses Burfict.

They're not really even average at covering TE's. They're not that good at stopping the run.

I've been underwhelmed by Vigil.

Lawson looks awesome as a pass rusher if you consider him a LB. He's used more like a DE though.

Minter has been average.
Reply/Quote
Vincent Rey has been the best LB thus far, and he's been pretty solid.
He hasn't had any big splash plays, but he's #6 in the NFL in total tackles.
He has also played 88% of the defensive snaps.

Nick Vigil has actually played the most defensive snaps of every player on the team (201 - 99.5%).
He's had an INT and a couple PBUs, but overall not been as good as Rey.
This is his first year starting, so I expected some bumps along the way.

Minter has been a disappointment though from what I hoped he would contribute. Only 37% of the snaps.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 03:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Vincent Rey has been the best LB thus far, and he's been pretty solid.

Nick Vigil has actually played the most defensive snaps of every player on the team (201 - 99.5%).

Minter has been a disappointment though. Only 37% of the snaps.
I expected more of him, especially in the run game.

That's what Minter is...an average LB that lacks speed.
Reply/Quote
And Evans?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 03:29 PM)McC Wrote: And Evans?

Only 12 snaps on defense. Can't really show your value when you're forced to sit the bench.
He's a rookie anyway. He wasn't going to get many snaps this year regardless.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 03:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Only 12 snaps on defense. Can't really show your value when you're forced to sit the bench.
He's a rookie anyway. He wasn't going to get many snaps this year regardless.

Based on how he looked in the preseason, the kid deserves a legit shot. Play him in the Nickel set with Burfict and he will make plays.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 03:39 PM)McC Wrote: Based on how he looked in the preseason, the kid deserves a legit shot.  Play him in the Nickel set with Burfict and he will make plays.

While that makes total sense given Evans' skill set and what he's shown in the preseason, I would be willing to try, but you and I both know he's only going to get a shot if an injury occurs.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 03:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: While that makes total sense given Evans' skill set and what he's shown in the preseason, I would be willing to try, but you and I both know he's only going to get a shot if an injury occurs.

I'd plug him in for Vigil right now and never look back.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 03:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I've been underwhelmed by Vigil.

I remember when we picked him up in the third round and some people thought he was going to really be this special player. I agree he's been very underwhelming and makes me wonder even mores why we have this feeling we draft so great?  

Besides what would expect from someone with a rat tail?  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 03:52 PM)GodFather Wrote: I remember when we picked him up in the third round and some people thought he was going to really be this special player. I agree he's been very underwhelming and makes me wonder even mores why we have this feeling we draft so great?  

Besides what would expect from someone with a rat tail?  Ninja

He was the 2nd best LB on his college team. Fans also assume that Vigil is blazing fast because he's smallish...but he's not.
Reply/Quote
One more time on Evans. You wanted the speed, you got the speed. Use it. And he looks like more than just speed. Use him. He and Burfict, I like that on passing downs. He can make plays because he can get there in time. Play him. Play him often. Play him now. If our current LB's were dominating, I wouldn't even bring it up.

Reply/Quote
I'm thinking that the LB play is going to get a huge boost this week, as Super Destroyer #55 is coming back from suspension. You can bet your ass that he is pissed that the team is 0-3.

No offense to Vinney Rey, he's done quite a job. The guy is always on the spot, in great position, like a LB should be. The only downfall to having him in the game? He just doesn't have the stopping power of Burfict.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Bengals LBs have always been extremely weak without Burfict. Vincent Rey is a decent player, but if you're relying on him to be your best LB, you are going to be let down.

Everyone else has and will continue to suck. (Lawson is a DE, regardless of his LB title.)

The problem is the Bengals are still stuck in this concept that LBs should be slow 240-260 pound guys who hit hard, when in reality they need to be 220-235 fast guys who can cover RBs, TEs, and running threat QBs. But they keep getting slow guys like Maualuga, Vigil, Minter, etc.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Actually Minter has been pretty good. The first game no one looked that good, but he showed up progressively more and more in the next two. Vigil I agree is having some issues as is Rey. Having Tez back will help things a lot. I would be temped to move Evans into Vigil's starting role and play Tez-Minter-Evans
Reply/Quote
all changes come Sunday!

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 03:46 PM)McC Wrote: I'd plug him in for Vigil right now and never look back.

this.  guarantee an upgrade.  Minter is solid when hes in there. but doesnt play nickel D.  
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2017, 12:45 AM)Joelist Wrote: Actually Minter has been pretty good. The first game no one looked that good, but he showed up progressively more and more in the next two. Vigil I agree is having some issues as is Rey. Having Tez back will help things a lot. I would be temped to move Evans into Vigil's starting role and play Tez-Minter-Evans

He really hasn't. When a second year player (first year starter) steals more snaps from you, that's not a good look. I fully expect Vigil to man that other OLB spot with Tex while in the nickel. I don't what everyone sees out of Evans to think he should start, but I remember reading alot of his scouting reports and most of them say he was more of a "finesse" guy, not very good at tacking on blockers and not very good at tackling. Probably best to get him a year under his belt to see what they got in him.

And does everybody not remember the rat tail? I mean cmon!  Hilarious
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Vigil makes a few good plays then a mistake but he's quick and always around thr football. I really think he's going to continue to improve as the season rolls along.

Vinnie is Vinnie solid but not spectacular. Evans did everything you can ask a young player in the preseason. He showed up in all the games continued to improve every week and dominated in all facets of linebacker play preseason week 4.

I've been harping about the lack of talent in the linebacker core for years. Vigil and Evans have really eased my mind early this season they might not be that bad off...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 03:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Vincent Rey has been the best LB thus far, and he's been pretty solid.

Minter has been a disappointment though from what I hoped he would contribute. Only 37% of the snaps.

Ive seen Vigil get lost in coverage quite a bit. He just looks confused out there at times. Im sure that has more to do with him being young and not being in the system for very long, though. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote