Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The play of our LB's
(09-26-2017, 11:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm thinking that the LB play is going to get a huge boost this week, as Super Destroyer #55 is coming back from suspension.  You can bet your ass that he is pissed that the team is 0-3.

No offense to Vinney Rey, he's done quite a job.  The guy is always on the spot, in great position, like a LB should be.  The only downfall to having him in the game?  He just doesn't have the stopping power of Burfict.

Agreed on all points.  I think it would be wise to rotate Evans in at WILL as Burfict gets his game shape on...I don't want to wait for an injury and send him in with zero experience.  Let him play some Nickel with Burfict as well.  

I think Vinny Rey has been outstanding.  Guy is a bargain, and Vigil has played well, although he takes poor angles from time to time, I think we need to remember this is really his rookie season from a playing time perspective.  He sure can cover a TE better than Fat Maualuga and Old Dansby...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2017, 12:45 AM)Joelist Wrote: Actually Minter has been pretty good. The first game no one looked that good, but he showed up progressively more and more in the next two. Vigil I agree is having some issues as is Rey. Having Tez back will help things a lot. I would be temped to move Evans into Vigil's starting role and play Tez-Minter-Evans

Agreed on Minter.  Plus, his ability to hold up in the middle has allowed Vinny Rey to play WILL and Nickel LB with Vigil.  One of the problems in the past was whenever we put VRey at MIKE, he would get pounded and injured.  Minter has been a solid acquisition and a tremendous upgrade over Maualuga.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2017, 08:18 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: He really hasn't. When a second year player (first year starter) steals more snaps from you, that's not a good look. I fully expect Vigil to man that other OLB spot with Tex while in the nickel. I don't what everyone sees out of Evans to think he should start, but I remember reading alot of his scouting reports and most of them say he was more of a "finesse" guy, not very good at tacking on blockers and not very good at tackling. Probably best to get him a year under his belt to see what they got in him.

And does everybody not remember the rat tail? I mean cmon!  Hilarious

Minter plays MIKE and Vigil plays SAM....different roles, and Minter is the starting MIKE, even when Burfict returns.  The fact that he is solid in base at MIKE helps our nickel backers stay healthy (see earlier post about Vrey) and do their jobs. 

Evans sure as shit did not look like a finesse player in the preseason.  He was laying the wood.  I have no idea how that guy slipped to where he did, but I think the future looks very bright for our defense with Burfict, Vigil, and Evans in the middle.  
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2017, 10:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Minter plays MIKE and Vigil plays SAM....different roles, and Minter is the starting MIKE, even when Burfict returns.  The fact that he is solid in base at MIKE helps our nickel backers stay healthy (see earlier post about Vrey) and do their jobs. 

Evans sure as shit did not look like a finesse player in the preseason.  He was laying the wood.  I have no idea how that guy slipped to where he did, but I think the future looks very bright for our defense with Burfict, Vigil, and Evans in the middle.  

Yes, what I am saying is that Vigil will man the middle and Tez will be the Sam in their base nickel packages. The fact that Burfict was out and Minter still only got 18 total snaps vs GB, 38 vs Ratbirds and 19 vs Texans says to me they they're not that high on him. Vigil has something like 95% plus of the defensive LB snaps, with Vinnie Rey coming in second. That speaks volumes to how they will use him now that Tez is back.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2017, 10:39 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yes, what I am saying is that Vigil will man the middle and Tez will be the Sam in their base nickel packages. The fact that Burfict was out and Minter still only got 18 total snaps vs GB, 38 vs Ratbirds and 19 vs Texans says to me they they're not that high on him. Vigil has something like 95% plus of the defensive LB snaps, with Vinnie Rey coming in second. That speaks volumes to how they will use him now that Tez is back.

There isn't a middle and SAM in nickel, just two backers.  I do agree that the majority of their nickel packages will be those two, but I would like to see Evans rotate in sometimes in nickel and for Burfict at WILL.  One thing we all know about Burfict is he is one cheap shot (perceived) from being out a year.

They will use Minter as MIKE, Burfict at WILL, and Vigil at SAM in base and short-yardage.
Reply/Quote
Seen what i expected. First year in the system for Minter, slower than i thought but made 2 very nice goal line
tackles against the Packers. Only Vigil's 2nd year in the system, he was a rookie last year, expect this guy to
really improve once Burfict is back. Burfict was saying he could read his mind out there which is huge.

Evans should get much more snaps on passing downs no question.

Vinny is solid, always has been, no surprise he has been our best LB so far.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2017, 10:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed on all points.  I think it would be wise to rotate Evans in at WILL as Burfict gets his game shape on...I don't want to wait for an injury and send him in with zero experience.  Let him play some Nickel with Burfict as well.  

I think Vinny Rey has been outstanding.  Guy is a bargain, and Vigil has played well, although he takes poor angles from time to time, I think we need to remember this is really his rookie season from a playing time perspective.  He sure can cover a TE better than Fat Maualuga and Old Dansby...

Agree with Evans needing reps, development comes from experience.  Much more so than watching.

I've always been a fan of Vinny Rey, his instincts and athleticism really benefit in pass coverage.  I just wish he had a bit more backside on him, to make him a better run stopper.  I'm also big on Vigil, he's still a work in progress, but I like how he's coming along.  I haven't fully made up my mind on Minter.  He looks a little better each week.  I'm thinking as the season goes on, he'll prove to be a valuable asset.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2017, 03:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agree with Evans needing reps, development comes from experience.  Much more so than watching.

I've always been a fan of Vinny Rey, his instincts and athleticism really benefit in pass coverage.  I just wish he had a bit more backside on him, to make him a better run stopper.  I'm also big on Vigil, he's still a work in progress, but I like how he's coming along.  I haven't fully made up my mind on Minter.  He looks a little better each week.  I'm thinking as the season goes on, he'll prove to be a valuable asset.

Bottom line, we are much better than we were last year. Knock on wood.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 12:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Bottom line, we are much better than we were last year. Knock on wood.

At LB, and pass rush, at least.  As for the secondary..  Between both Safeties being banged up, Jones finally showing his age, Jackson still learning the ropes, and Kirkpatrick being his usual streaky self, they are struggling as a unit.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 01:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: At LB, and pass rush, at least.  As for the secondary..  Between both Safeties being banged up, Jones finally showing his age, Jackson still learning the ropes, and Kirkpatrick being his usual streaky self, they are struggling as a unit.

True, i think it is time for Adam and even Dre to take a back seat to the young guys.

WJ3, Dennard and Shaw need more playing time. Fej looked alright last game.

Weird with the pass rush and Linebackers helping out much more than last year the Secondary starts to struggle. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 01:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, i think it is time for Adam and even Dre to take a back seat to the young guys.

WJ3, Dennard and Shaw need more playing time. Fej looked alright last game.

Weird with the pass rush and Linebackers helping out much more than last year the Secondary starts to struggle. Mellow

I noticed Fej layin' the wood, on special teams.  Glad to finally see Dennard coming around.  Haven't paid a lot of attention to Shaw, yet.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 02:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I noticed Fej layin' the wood, on special teams.  Glad to finally see Dennard coming around.  Haven't paid a lot of attention to Shaw, yet.

Fej is already a fine ST'er, been a very good pick so far for us and where he was drafted.

Heard that Haslett was actually the guy that pushed for Fej and said he was the best defensive player at Illinois,
better than the pass rusher that went in the 2nd round way ahead of him. Jihad something, what a name. Mellow

Dennard looked real good to me last game, even better than WJ3. That pick 6 was a thing of beauty though.

Shaw was one of the best Slot Corners in the league last season.

Think he is very underrated and could easily be a starter somewhere.

Swiss army knife type player but i really like him in the Slot.

Looking back i think we should of signed Whit and let Kirkpatrick go.

But we need to see Dennard stay healthy so it still might of been the right decision to keep Dre, but not over Whit ever.

Adam is clearly falling off, need these young guys to battle for his spot.
Reply/Quote