Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The potential impact of the new coaches.c
color me optimistic but I think the Bengals most important acquisitions of the off season
aren't the free agents or upcoming draft picks it's the new coaches will we see on the sidelines
already we've seen the influence of Frank Pollack.
I think he helped convince Marvin that Cedric Oghbegi isn't the answer at LT or RT.
now we see Bodine headed to Buffalo when just weeks ago Lewis was in Bodines corner
I expect to see immediate dividends week one with the running game and pass blocking.
yep Pollack is already putting his stamp on the oline.
if Alexander was still around it would have been the same cast of cupcakes on the oline for sure

Austin if anything will have this defense in attack mode and the back 7 creating turnovers
Guenther defenses were too much keep.everything in front of you.
he wasted a lot of guys natural atheletism by coaching safe.
I hope to.see the CBs giving less cushion with the WRs.

I don't know enough about Bricknell but a new voice in the WR room can't be a bad thing
I hope Bricknell can teach Green how to secure the ball better after the catch
let's see if he can get the 2nd yr guys In Ross and Malone to make important 2nd yr jump

overall I believe bad coaching and teaching help doom the 2017 season.
well the culprits are gone .
Reply/Quote
I gather from Bengals.com that Pollack is also in the process of replacing all the OL practice equipment and will be training them his way. It also says he is a stickler on both big and little things and pushes people. Could be interesting.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm generally in agreement, but until it actually plays out and we have a bonified offensive or defensive juggernaut or both the only thing we know for sure is that  we have new coaches and players..Everything else at this point is optimistic speculation  . Now let's see it turn into championship caliber play on the field .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 10:57 PM)impactplaya Wrote: color me optimistic but I think the Bengals most important acquisitions of the off season
aren't the free agents or upcoming draft picks it's the new coaches will we see on the sidelines
I think he helped convince Marvin that Cedric Oghbegi isn't the answer at LT or RT.
now we see Bodine headed to Buffalo when just weeks ago Lewis was in Bodines corner
I expect to see immediate dividends week one with the running game and pass blocking.
if Alexander was still around it would have been the same cast of cupcakes on the oline for sure

Austin if anything will have this defense in attack mode and the back 7 creating turnovers

I don't know enough about Bricknell but a new voice in the WR room can't be a bad thing
let's see if he can get the 2nd yr guys In Ross and Malone to make important 2nd yr jump

Totally agree.
Said in another thread a few hours ago that I think the coaches will be the biggest difference this season.
I'm also looking forward to seeing what Van Pelt can do with Dalton as I heard Rodgers wasn't happy that he was allowed to leave Green Bay
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 10:57 PM)impactplaya Wrote: color me optimistic but I think the Bengals most important acquisitions of the off season

The most impressive coach to me is Austin. It's like when we got Zimmer who had coached under and been taught by Bill Parcells, experience he would have NEVER got in Cincinnati.  Or when we brought in Forrest Gregg who had played for and been taught by Vince Lombardi, experience he brought to Cincinnati.  Austin has coached under Joe Paterno, Lloyd Carr, Mike Holmgren, Ken Whisenhunt, Urban Meyer, John Harbaugh.  That is an impressive list of coaches and teachers you don't get in Cincinnati. Like Gregg and Zimmer he brings great football knowledge handed down by these great coaches. He has been a defensive backs coach and a defensive coordinator, much like Dick LeBeau. He has coached defense for 3 SUPER BOWL TEAMS, Seattle, Arizona and Baltimore. THAT is experience you don't get in Cincinnati. THAT is Super Bowl experience Zimmer didn't even bring to Cincinnati. So Super Bowl Defense Austin is a coach to be excited about. 

Lasor is in his first free agency, draft, training camps and preseason as Bengals offensive coordinator. Coming in during the season, he had to play out the poker hand with the lousy cards handed him in the worst O Line in NFL,  Jones and Sanu at WR gone, Eifert injured, top pick Ross WR injured, Mixon-Hill, Bernard all having early injuries. He came onto an offense that had not scored a touchdown in the first 2 games, tying an NFL record in worst offensive starts.  So Lasor was hired to fix the worst offense in the NFL in decades, plain and simple.  You can't fix that bad of an offense in a few games.  I'm amazed that he took over such an awful offense and got 7 wins out of them. That may be some of the best coaching ever considering how bad the players were.  This will be his first full season and I'm interested to see the player moves, playbook and training camp adjustments. He was an improvement over that sorry mess that started the season before he came here. 

Then there is the O Line coach from Dallas.  I thought Dallas had a great O Line in 2016 making the rookie RB and rookie QB look pretty good.  Of course, he will need blockers. They traded for a Left Tackle already.  Word on Bengals.com is Bengals will use the First Round Pick on a Center to replace Bodine.  I think there will be other moves than this before season starts. I would suggest most O Linemen from 2017 not be buying property in Cincinnati area because they may not be here much longer. It's going to Shape Up or Ship Out for these O Linemen, because protecting the quarterback and opening running lanes is the primary goal of any football team. Hopefully this coach can build the type blocking he had Dallas Cowboys doing in 2016 season, they were impressive under him that season. 

So I agree that the Coaches are key additions.  You win with coaching. All teams have top college players.  It's the good coaches that seem to go to the play-offs.  Bengals have a chance to go to play-offs 6 out of last 8 years and 7 out of last 10 years if they go play-offs in 2018.  70 % of the time in play-offs over 10 years is pretty good. Let's hope these are the coaches that also win in the play-offs. I would love to see Dalton, Green Atkins, Dunlap era go to Super Bowl. We could look back on 70 % of time in play-offs and a Super Bowl and say these were great times to be a Bengals Fan. Of course these new coaches have their work cut out just to get this team back on the right track after the last couple Bungles seasons, which I greatly blame on Mike Brown going cheap letting too many of the 2015 players leave that started 8-0 before Dalton injury.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 12:21 AM)Joelist Wrote: I gather from Bengals.com that Pollack is also in the process of replacing all the OL practice equipment and will be training them his way. It also says he is a stickler on both big and little things and pushes people. Could be interesting.

Didn’t see this but sounds like a total 180 in vision and expectations. I love it!

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 03:35 AM)kevin Wrote:   Austin has coached under Joe Paterno

So much for bring your kid to work day.....
Reply/Quote

Nice post, the truth. Poor coaching was our biggest problem, then Center, then LT.

We got our new LT, we will get our new Center in the Draft. The only coach i am not happy about now is Haslett but we went
and got a polished LB for him to work with in Preston Brown so he probably cannot screw him up. I am actually optimistic this
year since we no longer have PA and Bodine here. Og has been put on the back burner.

Just lots of great news coming out of this org for once and it started with replacing our worst coaches with good ones in Pollack,
Austin, Van Pelt and Bicknell.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 06:58 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Didn’t see this but sounds like a total 180 in vision and expectations. I love it!

There is a whole section in here:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Changes-front-and-center/29936688-6490-42f9-b66c-b63d469c49d0

that covers Pollack getting new equipment and also his approach differing from that of Piano Man.
Reply/Quote
Not just the addition of new coaches... With each passing day I believe a bit more and more that Marvin wrestled complete control of this franchise from Mike Brown. Maybe I'm unrealistically hopeful with that but this offseason has been very far from the norm. Has Mike Brown stepped down without officially saying so? Who knows... But it is a possibility
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 03:17 PM)Joelist Wrote: There is a whole section in here:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Changes-front-and-center/29936688-6490-42f9-b66c-b63d469c49d0

that covers Pollack getting new equipment and also his approach differing from that of Piano Man.

Thanks Joe. I tend not not go to Bengals.com too often because of the continuous BS spewed on there. However, I look forward to reading this one.

Reply/Quote
Well if nothing else we'll find out whether we've been accurate in our assessment of Alexander, Bodine and Guenther.

Sometimes a change of the guard has its own value, but as much as I liked Guenther, I think Austin has the chance to make some needed change.   And he's the type of coach that Marvin is likely to take a hands off approach, like he did with Zim

I'm encouraged about Pollack's change in scheme and technique.  And I'm intrigued by the QB and WR coaches.

It could be a very interesting year.   I'm praying we have a good draft to get some playmakers on defense and shore up the run game on both sides of the ball.

Going to be a really interesting draft.   I hope, I hope, I hope we don't blow our first four picks in this draft.
Reply/Quote

Nice read.  Thanks for the share, Mr. List!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Cool man, i like how Pollack is changing things up. :andy:
Reply/Quote
Pollack is going to make the biggest difference with his practice equipment and workout regimen.  The way that article reads, PA was playing pattycake with arm shields.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAQNLQxU-TzG5wSih7kJU...BPXsqyrzjQ]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'm still straddling the fence on Austin. To me, if your offense has to damn near score 40 points a game for you to have a chance to win, because your D cannot stop anyone, that says to me there are problems. I really don't know anything about Austin, maybe he just had bad players, IDK? I know he said he likes to play zone, which scares the heck out of me.
Reply/Quote
I'm really hoping that by September, we can look back through 2018 and call it "The Year of Frank Pollack".
That's how much influence I hope he has on this offseason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 04:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: Pollack is going to make the biggest difference with his practice equipment and workout regimen.  The way that article reads, PA was playing pattycake with arm shields.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAQNLQxU-TzG5wSih7kJU...BPXsqyrzjQ]

I read that and just shook my head. 

Some great players have been able to overcome piano mans inept coaching.

Unfortunately it was far fewer than were able to overcome the disadvantage they started out with having him as a position coach.

oNothing like training to face suggs and harrison by having piano man teach you to dance around while he dreams of conducting an orchestra and hits you with a soft pad.
Reply/Quote
If there is hope for this season, it will come with the fresh eyes the new coaches bring. This was all we could legitimately ask for with Marvin returning. It won't show up on pre season power rankings, and pundits won't focus on it as much, but we as fans know this was the significant change and hopefully upgrade of this offseason.

We still do have a good (not as strong as 2012-2015) roster. Our worse and most incompetent season in recent history leading to coaches being fired mid season etc STILL got us a 7-9 record. Can these coaches spark us to 2 or even 3 more wins. I think so.

It was an excellent article from the standpoint Alexander had just got stale and time had passed him by. That's the issue with keeping coaches for 22 years. Techniques and equipment had passed him by. He'll probably do good in Dallas as he uses Pollacks equipment for the first time ever.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

No he wasn't.

You actually believe that?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote