Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The price of decent suits
(08-16-2016, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: ...and I can tell the difference between a cheap suit and a good one.

I buy all my work suites through Jos. A Banks. 

[Image: facepalm-don-draper.jpg]
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 06:01 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: [Image: facepalm-don-draper.jpg]

I always wanted to ask you, does that silver spoon of your's set off the metal detectors at airport security? Or you don't pass through security like the rest of us peons on a private charter?
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 06:01 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: [Image: facepalm-don-draper.jpg]

They are tailored to fit and their top of the line suits is of high quality fabric.

They aren't armani, they may not be fully canvassed, but they are good suits.

The fact that you pay more for the same quality does not make you superior.  It just means you waste money.  unless you spend over $2K for  a suit I guarantee that you can not tell the difference from looking at the suit while a person is wearing it.

And you don't make enough to buy $2K suites.
Reply/Quote
If you're seeking to make your clients in the orange jumpsuits look good, you are succeeding. It's not like you earn a living off repeat business, anyway.

Nothing wrong if they work for you, just don't embarrass yourself claiming you "know good suits" while wearing a suit bought from a budget wholesaler. And you have no idea what I can afford - clueless as usual.

https://youtu.be/RHZZQCz9iMM

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/jos-a-bank-cleaning-product/2768588

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 08:07 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: If you're seeking to make your clients in the orange jumpsuits look good, you are succeeding.  It's not like you earn a living off repeat business, anyway.

Nothing wrong if they work for you, just don't embarrass yourself claiming you "know good suits" while wearing a suit bought from a budget wholesaler.  And you have no idea what I can afford - clueless as usual.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/jos-a-bank-cleaning-product/2768588

There is no place for these types on insults in klotsch. Fred provided the folks with a link where folks could get a good suit at a bargain price. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 08:07 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote:   And you have no idea what I can afford - clueless as usual.

I know about what you make.

You might have more money from mommy and daddy, but you don't earn enough to buy $2K suites.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 08:07 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: If you're seeking to make your clients in the orange jumpsuits look good, you are succeeding.  It's not like you earn a living off repeat business, anyway.

Nothing wrong if they work for you, just don't embarrass yourself claiming you "know good suits" while wearing a suit bought from a budget wholesaler.  And you have no idea what I can afford - clueless as usual.

Too bad we all don't live in a world where college grads with useless degrees get jobs earning 200K/yr is a big problem like you do. 
Reply/Quote
I have no clue what JWB does for a living, I just assumed he was making a good Mad Men reference...
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 09:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know about what you make.

You might have more money from mommy and daddy, but you don't earn enough to buy $2K suites.
Don't sweat it, Fred.
Guys like us have no reason to over-compensate.
You know.... the reason we keep that inseam a little tight.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 04:39 PM)6andcounting Wrote: When comparing a pair of $50 non-brand pair of shoes to a $100 pair of Nike's, there's definitely a difference. Same goes with a $30 brand name workout shirt and the $10 store brand. I'll pay $25 for Under Armour compression shorts all day; the $12 store brand just isn't going to cut it. But those are small prices to pay for something that is that much more comfortable and will last a long time.

The price difference between a $80 to $100 pair of Jordans and the $250 pair has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with marketing and perception.

Parents who buy there kids $100 t-shirts because it's the cool, preppy name brand aren't intelligent enough to raise kids. It

First time I've ever agreed with you 100%.  But this post pretty much nails it.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 10:29 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I have no clue what JWB does for a living, I just assumed he was making a good Mad Men reference...

Pretty much.  If people want to buy cheap suits, nothing wrong with it.

Reply/Quote
I used to spend quite a bit on clothing but i've become much cheaper in my old age. I refuse to pay full retail for anything anymore. I only shop at outlets now for my day to day work clothing. I wear jeans, casual shoes and button down shirts to work.

When it comes to suits though, I don't cheap out. I only have one suit but i paid $1500 for it. (Zenga from Harry Rosen outlet) I refuse to wear a cheap suit. It's like wearing a burlap sack. If i ever have the money its straight to Brioni for a bespoke suit.
Reply/Quote
Back in the 80's, my cousin wanted these jeans called "Buck Shot Jeans" or something stupid like that. So they went to the store to buy her a pair with no clue as to how much they would cost. They get to the store and made a beeline to the jeans, picked up a pair and looked at the price...$75.00!!!

He told her no way and they left the store with a brand new pair of Levi's. She really wanted the "Buck Shot Jeans" so he took out his Remmington 1100 Trap Gun and a shotgun shell, took the new Levi's and hung them on the clothes line and shot them, lol.

She was happy and her friends asked if my uncle would do the same for them, lol.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 05:13 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Pretty much.  If people want to buy cheap suits, nothing wrong with it.

Because that is what you do, right?

If I am wrong just post a picture of yourself rocking one of your $1,000 suites.
Reply/Quote
Jesus, smack talking suits really? Many have already brought it up but it's really quite simple it comes down to tailoring/fitting. It's almost like cars, some are classics no matter what, some were cool during the period, some re-trend. But it's all going to boil down to what fits you.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 01:01 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Jesus, smack talking suits really?  Many have already brought it up but it's really quite simple it comes down to tailoring/fitting.  It's almost like cars, some are classics no matter what, some were cool during the period, some re-trend.  But it's all going to boil down to what fits you.

Th really expensive suits are lined fully and the technique is a little different.

But if you have decent material and the suit is altered to fit you properly it will look fine.  Jos A. Banks are not real expensive suits, but they are better than cheap suits off the rack that are made from cheaper material and don't fit properly.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because that is what you do, right?

If I am wrong just post a picture of yourself rocking one of your $1,000 suites.

LMAO, no, I don't buy cheap suits because I can afford better....and because I don't have goats to feed my suits to after I wear them a couple of times.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 02:44 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: LMAO, no, I don't buy cheap suits because I can afford better....and because I don't have goats to feed my suits to after I wear them a couple of times.

So what do you buy?  Post some pics.
Reply/Quote
http://www.princehenry.biz

Not all that expensive, I get measured once or twice a year. If I need a quick alteration that is what my mistress is for.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 05:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So what do you buy?  Post some pics.

I have 3 Hugo Boss, which they're fused but I like the cut and it's very good fabric and lining. A couple Joseph Abboud (pre-Men's Wearhouse days) which I also like.  Two a bit cheaper Brooks Brothers suits - one which was a stupid purchase and I'm probably donating to goodwill, the other I like the pattern and it's a nice lighter suit in the summer.

The 4 designer suits I got 40-60% off, paid probably $500-$600 each.  I think they're generally appropriate, but I do think I need something better and "tighter" for biz development.  I'm also not a partner so I'm not going to try to rock a $2000 suit.

Decent suits, but I will probably pick-up a couple MTM....keep trying to lose some weight but I can't keep using that as an excuse not to buy new clothes.

Reply/Quote