Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The price of fewer regulations
We've all seen the recalls of romaine lettuce and the general increase in E. coli outbreaks in general. The issue at hand is dirty water. This has been a known problem, so much so that there was an attempt to fix it.
Quote:After several high-profile disease outbreaks linked to food, Congress in 2011 ordered a fix, and produce growers this year would have begun testing their water under rules crafted by the Obama administration’s Food and Drug Administration.

So a fix was in place, slated to take effect in 2018 so that producers could have time to set things up. But the industry didn't like it.

Quote:But six months before people were sickened by the contaminated romaine, President Donald Trump’s FDA – responding to pressure from the farm industry and Trump’s order to eliminate regulations – shelved the water-testing rules for at least four years.

So in order to keep regulations down and be more "pro-business," people have died as a result.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-science-is-clear-dirty-farm-water-is-making-us-sick/?fbclid=IwAR2HGf60lOA0XjEloGnYmTP3p_0Y1L-YSrhJvDj8euEErsGPkkGSMGqSMEI
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-27-2018, 09:02 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: So in order to keep regulations down and be more "pro-business," people have died as a result.

Yea, that is really the foundation of capitalism. I am normally pro business but am for regulations protecting the public from death. 
Are we surprised? 

My only hope is that very soon the Trump era will be seen merely as a black spot on our history and not something that damaged our country for a generation or more.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Trump has also rolled back a lot of regulations regarding air travel, especially private charters.

Hope that does not cause problems.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Anytime someone says we need more regulations or less regulations in a generic form, it means nothing to me. If you want more or less, specify what you are talking about. I'm pretty much for regulations that govern things I can't ascertain for myself. For instance, if a restaurant allows smoking, I can figure that out on my own. Perhaps they have a sign up or I go in and see people smoking. What I can't do is go inspect a restaurants kitchen so I'm for regulations that allow the government to do that for me.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
And maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it says Congress ordered a fix, and then it seems they handed if off to the FDA. Quit doing that. Pass a law and then hand it off to the FDA to enforce.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]