Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The problem with the Left
Time and time again, I read, hear and see those on the left of the political spectrum try to censore or disrupt speech and then calls those on the right intolerant.

If you have a problem with someone speaking, don't shut them down but create your own event to speak against what was spoken about.

http://dailysignal.com/2016/02/26/campus-protesters-try-to-silence-conservative-speaker-demand-college-presidents-resignation/

Another thing, especially if it's a hate group like the Klan, they will look like idiots when they speak and they will do a better job at shutting themselves up than a group of people trying to deny the group or person their constitutional right to speak. Matter of fact, by denying a group to speak, march or do whatever, you garentee that the group will get even more support than if you let them be stupid.

Same goes for those on the right as well. I've never seen or read or heard about it happening but I'm sure it has. Anyone denying someone else their constitutional right to speak should never happen especially at a university by professors or the president of that university.
I agree 100%. the only way any protest would be justified was if the school sponsored this and they only sponsored speakers from one side of the political spectrum.

You can't just shut down speeches you don't like. That is not the way it works at all. You can't defeat any idea by trying to silence its supporters.
(03-01-2016, 02:59 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Time and time again, I read, hear and see those on the left of the political spectrum try to censore or disrupt speech and then calls those on the right intolerant.

If you have a problem with someone speaking, don't shut them down but create your own event to speak against what was spoken about.

http://dailysignal.com/2016/02/26/campus-protesters-try-to-silence-conservative-speaker-demand-college-presidents-resignation/

Another thing, especially if it's a hate group like the Klan, they will look like idiots when they speak and they will do a better job at shutting themselves up than a group of people trying to deny the group or person their constitutional right to speak. Matter of fact, by denying a group to speak, march or do whatever, you garentee that the group will get even more support than if you let them be stupid.

Same goes for those on the right as well. I've never seen or read or heard about it happening but I'm sure it has. Anyone denying someone else their constitutional right to speak should never happen especially at a university by professors or the president of that university.

You'll always get the hate spewing liberal, but conservative speakers on many occasions are blocked from speaking on campuses. And when they do they on occasion will bring bodyguards.

Just as I was about to give Obama kudos for the first or second time, I recognized his hidden message in the link below. It was glaring. By him saying "too conservative" he is implying that conservatives should be allowed to speak even though conservatism is bad. What a prick.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/cnsnewscom-staff/obama-colleges-should-not-block-guest-speakers-who-are-too
I think the problem is that these people were not just protesting. It is fine to protest against the message a speaker is bringing. But there is a difference between "protesting" and "disrupting".

It is okay to picket outside, but you can't keep people from going in and you can't interrupt the speaker.
(03-01-2016, 02:59 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Same goes for those on the right as well. I've never seen or read or heard about it happening but I'm sure it has. 

Yep.

Bible thumpers disrupt Muslim Capitol Day in Texas

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/texas/article/Texas-Muslim-Capitol-Day-marred-by-anti-Islam-6048881.php

Christine Weick, who said she was originally from Michigan but now is "on the road," at one point stormed the succession of speakers, grabbing the microphone and yelling, "Islam will not dominate the United States, and by the grace of God, it will not dominate Texas."
It's not an issue reserved for just one side. Another thread in this forum just posted a link to the story of Trump kicking black students out of a rally. Of course, he's the same guy who said he would open libel laws so he could sue newspapers and "make a lot of money" (regardless of free speech, he's ignorant of the fact you can already take them to court for malicious behavior).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Merry Christmas!

I dare you to say Happy Holidays. I. Dare. You.
(03-01-2016, 02:59 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Time and time again, I read, hear and see those on the left of the political spectrum try to censore or disrupt speech and then calls those on the right intolerant.

I agree. ThumbsUp
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Things like this are ridiculous. As an institution of higher learning, but especially as a public institution, there is a duty to not be a place of censorship. We see it happen on all sides and it is a sad thing. Here at my university we allow all to have a voice. We have a place called The Commons which is between some of the student union buildings and the dining hall. There are always groups there handing out fliers, speaking, holding events, and they cross the political spectrum. Groups on campus hold events for any number of speakers of varying affiliations. Obama spoke here in 2008, the Romney campaign was here in 2012. Fiorina was on our Board of Visitors until last fall, even.

Academia is an industry that is dominated by a predominately liberal faculty, but we have a duty to the students to not censor opposition. The integrity of what we do depends on it.
Kids are too soft. They need to be exposed to these things.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-01-2016, 12:44 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Kids are too soft. They need to be exposed to these things.

Forcibly, if necessary. 

[Image: 1429633495578]

Ninja
(03-01-2016, 01:05 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Forcibly, if necessary. 

[Image: 1429633495578]

Ninja

For some reason, I hear Beethoven in my head when I see that picture. Mellow
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(03-01-2016, 11:27 AM)Benton Wrote: It's not an issue reserved for just one side. Another thread in this forum just posted a link to the story of Trump kicking black students out of a rally. Of course, he's the same guy who said he would open libel laws so he could sue newspapers and "make a lot of money" (regardless of free speech, he's ignorant of the fact you can already take them to court for malicious behavior).

Trump is trolling the media, it couldn't be more obvious.  Even if he tried to pass some form of stricter libel law it would get shot down by the courts immediately.  While I agree that the topic of this thread is an issue for both sides it's more predominant on the left at the moment and the rise of Trump can be directly attributed to it.  These kids and asshat adults who enable and support them are engaging in an insanely hypocritical and self defeating campaign.  When you over correct you get blow back.  This was insanely over corrected and the blow back is commensurate.
(03-01-2016, 11:42 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Merry Christmas!

I dare you to say Happy Holidays.  I. Dare. You.

Happy Holidays, oncemoreuntothejimbreech!! ThumbsUp

On a more serious note, let's just combine ALL the sayings! Herpy RamaHannaKwanzMas!
[Image: giphy.gif]
(03-01-2016, 01:49 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Happy Holidays, oncemoreuntothejimbreech!! ThumbsUp

On a more serious note, let's just combine ALL the sayings! Herpy RamaHannaKwanzMas!

Trump is making a list and checking it twice. 
(03-01-2016, 12:44 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Kids are too soft. They need to be exposed to these things.
No one asked you about your defense for your student sexting scandal.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]