Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The right's obsession with AOC
(06-19-2019, 10:19 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Is this random website supposed to somehow counter a definition of the word?

It's just the first one listed when you google the difference between the 2. But unfortunately they do use context. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-19-2019, 10:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Honesty time:

***What do you think AOC was referring to when she said Concentration Camps?

***Notice I didn't say what do you know, what she actually meant, I simply asked you as an adult with cognitive thought what you think she was referring to. 

I think she was talking about people being held in confinement in poor conditions without due process.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-19-2019, 10:24 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think she was talking about people being held in confinement in poor conditions without due process.

Thanks for your honest answer. 

(06-19-2019, 10:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's just the first one listed when you google the difference between the 2. But unfortunately they do use context. 

They can use all the context they want. Concentration camps and internment camps are synonymous with each other by definition. One phrase just carries stronger negative connotations so we don't like to use it for what we did.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-19-2019, 10:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Who is saying they are pretty much the same? Saying they fit the definition does not mean that they would be considered that similar. The definition of a concentration camp is pretty broad.

According to the website, people could have fun in an internment camp. 

Americans fed them and didn't try to kill them unless they escaped.

Jews, on the other hand, were treated inhumanely.
(06-19-2019, 10:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: They can use all the context they want. Concentration camps and internment camps are synonymous with each other by definition. One phrase just carries stronger negative connotations so we don't like to use it for what we did.

As I said earlier I should have seen this for what it is. I'll take my leave now. 

I'll just keep in mind your insistence on using actual definitions over context. 

(06-19-2019, 10:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nah, that one suffers fools.

Thanks for your honest answer.
(06-19-2019, 10:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said earlier I should have seen this for what it is. I'll take my leave now. 

I'll just keep in mind your insistence on using actual definitions over context. 

Context doesn't negate a definition, it helps determine which definition of the word or phrase is appropriate if there are multiple definitions.

(06-19-2019, 10:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said earlier I should have seen this for what it is. I'll take my leave now. 

keeper
(06-19-2019, 10:27 PM)Dill Wrote: According to the website, people could have fun in an internment camp. 

Americans fed them and didn't try to kill them unless they escaped.

Jews, on the other hand, were treated inhumanely.

It's in you Dill, behind that mask you wear in your avatar lies the thoughts of a rational person. That rational person in you can see the absurdity of trying to correlate holding facilities of today for people that freely entered this country illegally to the concentration camps of WWII.

Just release the dark side. I see the light in you. 

(06-19-2019, 10:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: They can use all the context they want. Concentration camps and internment camps are synonymous with each other by definition. One phrase just carries stronger negative connotations so we don't like to use it for what we did.

Hell, government reports at the time referred to our camps as concentration camps. The British used that term too in Africa decades prior. 

This is the equivalent of when people say "The US is a republic not a democracy" 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-19-2019, 10:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's in you Dill, behind that mask you wear in your avatar lies the thoughts of a rational person. That rational person in you can see the absurdity of trying to correlate holding facilities of today for people that freely entered this country illegally to the concentration camps of WWII.

Just release the dark side. I see the light in you.

Looks like some people are going to note the differences between our camps and the Nazis'.

Others are will be more concerned about the similarities.

The latter hopefully, will keep the focus on the problem/policy which enables the comparison. Darksiders would you call them?

Which tack will more likely force policy change?
Stupid AOC. Doesn't she know that one just needs to say "someone said" or "I heard" to make everything ok. You don't say "They are concentration camps", you say "some people call them concentration camps". You can say anything really that way.
Works for the Donald like a charm. "Some call democrats traitors" or "I heard windmills cause cancer" is perfectly fine, and damn those to hell who would associate him with things someone said, when he merely reports what someone said.

Btw. concentration camps existed in multiple countries, before and after Nazi Germany - they are not defined by the atrocities committed. Not every concentration camp is an extermination camp. But what matters, a democrat said it, so there has to be something deeply wrong with it by all means necessary.
(06-20-2019, 09:38 AM)hollodero Wrote: Stupid AOC. Doesn't she know that one just needs to say "someone said" or "I heard" to make everything ok. You don't say "They are concentration camps", you say "some people call them concentration camps". You can say anything really that way.
Works for the Donald like a charm. "Some call democrats traitors" or "I heard windmills cause cancer" is perfectly fine, and damn those to hell who would associate him with things someone said, when he merely reports what someone said.

Btw. concentration camps existed in multiple countries, before and after Nazi Germany - they are not defined by the atrocities committed. Not every concentration camp is an extermination camp. But what matters, a democrat said it, so there has to be something deeply wrong with it by all means necessary.

Well said.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-20-2019, 03:54 AM)Dill Wrote: Looks like some people are going to note the differences between our camps and the Nazis'.

Others are will be more concerned about the similarities.

The latter hopefully, will keep the focus on the problem/policy which enables the comparison.  Darksiders would you call them?

Which tack will more likely force policy change?

So put you down as another that correlates the holding facilities of people who enter this country illegally to WWII concentration camps. 

To be honest I thought this "by definition" defense was just a lame attempt in this forum to excuse her words of ignorance, but it seems to be the National Defense of the Left. I just hope they are so literal next time someone they disagree with  says something they do not like. But I won't hold my breath. 

The whole thing reminds me of a childhood joke:

Why do they put fences around cemeteries ?

Because people are dying to get in

(06-20-2019, 09:38 AM)hollodero Wrote: Stupid AOC. Doesn't she know that one just needs to say "someone said" or "I heard" to make everything ok. You don't say "They are concentration camps", you say "some people call them concentration camps". You can say anything really that way.

I do wonder if she was referring to the ones at which atrocities were committed when she said "Never Again". 

It was an ignorant correlation but it doesn't matter because a democrat said it, so there has to be nothing overtly wrong with it and will be defended by all means necessary.  

(06-20-2019, 10:13 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I do wonder if she was referring to the ones at which atrocities were committed when she said "Never Again". 

It was an ignorant correlation but it doesn't matter because a democrat said it, so there has to be nothing overtly wrong with it and will be defended by all means necessary.  

It was a truthful statement but it doesn't matter because a democrat said it, so there has to be something overtly wrong with it and will be attacked by all means necessary.

ThumbsUp
Just gonna drop this article here.  I know it's only talking to people who have studied these things and not someone making a knee-jerk response to one word but try and read it with an open mind anyway.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a27813648/concentration-camps-southern-border-migrant-detention-facilities-trump/
(06-20-2019, 10:38 AM)GMDino Wrote: Just gonna drop this article here.  I know it's only talking to people who have studied these things and not someone making a knee-jerk response to one word but try and read it with an open mind anyway.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a27813648/concentration-camps-southern-border-migrant-detention-facilities-trump/

I not only read the article, I watched her interview. What she does is the same thing everyone else is doing: referring to the literal definition; however, she's open-minded enough to appreciate to connotation of the term with the Nazi camps and suggests we could use other phrases.

What folks have to do is ask themselves why they think AOC used the term Concentration Camps and interjected Never Again. Do they think she was trying to draw correlation to Nazi camps or just using the term because of its literal definition. 

Personally I think she used the term for shock value and compared millions that lost their lives in the holocaust with people detained for breaking the law. But everyone will apprach the situation with his/her own open mind to include the author cited. 

(06-20-2019, 10:13 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I do wonder if she was referring to the ones at which atrocities were committed when she said "Never Again". 

Well, you have a good counter to that.
Whenever Trump says something, everyone is supposed to assume the least nefarious interpretation possible. Not doing so is dishonest.
Whenever a democrat says something, everyone is supposed to assume the most nefarious interpretation possible. Not doing so is dishonest.

...as for AOC, I don't know what she meant. In general, I'd say "never again" is a good attitude towards all kinds of concentration camps.