Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The rise of the Run-Pass option in the NFL
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-teaching-tape-cincinnati-bengals-and-the-rpo

The Bengals are the best team in the NFL at the rising Run-Pass option, according to Pro Football Focus.
Reply/Quote
Hmm, if only they had an aggressive minded coach that could translate all of that innovative genius into... Championships!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I guess every team will copy it and probably will. The real winners will be the defenses who figure out how to scheme around it and beat it. 
It would seem that the Bengals would be in a good position to beat it being they practice it a lot according to the author. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I liked the odd formation where Whit would line up out wide, but my fear every time I saw the formation was that if one WR missed a block, or if a DB up on the line sold out to jump the quick pass, it could be an easy pick 6. I would imagine Dalton's quick release, plus his read of the depth of the DB helped to prevent this, but I kept thinking they were going to the well too often.

He did hit Eifert down the seam (I think it was Eifert) for a huge gain out of this formation, and I loved the design. I think the weapons Andy should have this season are such a huge upgrade that it will allow for even more yards from these plays, plus, if defenses do crowd the line, he can take a shot over the top, as he did in the last video.

Honestly, it may not be sexy, but that is exactly what Brady and the Pats have made their staple. Short, quick hitters that yield good YAC. Brady doesn't have to do as much down the field because he team executes their routes and blocking assignments so well.
Reply/Quote
With all due respect to Andy, I think this article gives him too much credit. There are many times he is committed to where he is going before the ball is snapped. We've seen it too many times when he throws into double coverage while having a wr or te wide open.

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 10:39 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: With all due respect to Andy, I think this article gives him too much credit. There are many times he is committed to where he is going before the ball is snapped. We've seen it too many times when he throws into double coverage while having a wr or te wide open.

This is talking about a run-pass option. Not pre-determined plays.

It also states that even though the Bengals ran the 3rd most run-pass options and 1st in yards, they had 0 interceptions thrown.

It also shows gametape how Dalton reads defenses at the line of scrimmage and adjusts. Here's a sample (and there's video of it too):

"You can actually see Andy Dalton’s eyes post snap as he reads that overhang defender. The defender stays put, so Dalton hands it off and they have yet another big play through little more than schematic advantage. The Bills had no clue how to deal with the two linemen split to the same side and completely abandoned the run threat leaving three men in the box versus three offensive linemen."
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 10:39 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: With all due respect to Andy, I think this article gives him too much credit. There are many times he is committed to where he is going before the ball is snapped. We've seen it too many times when he throws into double coverage while having a wr or te wide open.

Many people don't know this but there are plays called where the call from the OC is to throw this route no matter what. Some won't believe it but it is in fact true because the coordinator believes they are getting a certain look and disguised or not they believe it'll be there. 
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 06:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: Many people don't know this but there are plays called where the call from the OC is to throw this route no matter what. Some won't believe it but it is in fact true because the coordinator believes they are getting a certain look and disguised or not they believe it'll be there. 

Thats called a screen. Thats different than the Run pass option

Theres only one receiver to throw to on this, but you have the option to hand the ball off first.

Its kinda college footballish to me, but if you ready the article it is on the rise
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 09:30 PM)Gohards Wrote: Its kinda college footballish to me, but if you ready the article it is on the rise

This is an interesting statement, as the NFL is evolving (some teams) in to a wide-open, multiple WR attack scheme.  But for every Kurt Warner-led Rams team, there is a Dallas Cowboys that are pounding the rock.  I think this is a part of what makes the NFL so special.  You don't see every team running the same schemes.  

I loved when the Bengals had the No Huddle, the Oilers had the Run and shoot, and the Bills had their version, the K-gun.  It seems those offenses were nearly unstoppable, but would struggle in the red zone.  And it would wear out their defenses.

When will we see an NFL team with 6 TEs on the roster that would line up with 3 TEs on every single play?  One WR as a vertical, top-off-the-defense guy, and a bunch of beasts that could move the chains, but also block for a single back formation?  You know things like that will happen...and it will happen first in college when the next Urban Meyer gets a shot and he tries to re-write the rulebook.  

Now I want to be an OC.  Although I am quite happy with more current role of "volunteer scout"
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 09:30 PM)Gohards Wrote: Thats called a screen. Thats different than the Run pass option

Theres only one receiver to throw to on this, but you have the option to hand the ball off first.

Its kinda college footballish to me, but if you ready the article it is on the rise

Im not talking about Run Pass options at all. I was referring to a post where the person said it seems Dalton predetermines throws. Sometimes they are predetermined for him by the play caller. Normally it refers to shot plays, but can be in other plays as well. The OC will tell the QB in the helmet "unless you check out of this play throw to a specific route".
Reply/Quote