Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The running game, beyond the personnel
As I watch the last two weeks it is become more clear that we aren't attempting to recreate the Rams running attack in fact we are actually doing the opposite. The Rams put pressure on the edge by running the outside zone which gives the back the choice to attack the edge or cut it back when the pursuit is too aggressive. We have been adamant about slamming it between the tackles and with our personnel this has had 0 effectiveness so far. In terms of play calling we rarely pressure the edge, I haven't re watched the game yet but I can only remember a single pitch getting outside. The Seahawks game was similar in terms of not attacking the edge, however I chalked that up to the defensive alignment

On the other hand I have an issue with the way Mixon has attempted to run, scheme aside. He is back into the funk of wanting to bounce every run outside for a big play. There were multiple times yesterday where there was a lane inside for 3 or 4 yards but he took the hand off and either stutter stepped in the backfield, or immediately jumped laterally to the outside and got taken down. He has got to get back to being okay taking a 3 yards gain and keeping us on schedule. Yes, I know there were times he got hit in the backfield but there were other opportunities he was trying to do too much.

While we are at it, the jet motion wrinkle needs to expanded on. Motioning a guy across is fine and has a purpose but we need to add another layer. Andy Reid has a couple nice wrinkles off this, one being the motion guy curls back off the motion and loops around the QB for a swing pass back where he came. Maybe run some orbit screens by taking the motion from the start back behind the QB. Shanahan did a really good job of branching off the just the motion with screens off it.

The personnel is the biggest issue yes, however better play calling could go a long way in trying to hide some of our deficiencies.
Reply/Quote
Well said, and I can't help but wonder what a coach like McVay would actually do here.

Our runs are between the Tackles where we get no push.

Our passing plays are some combination of faking a reverse, then throwing a screen to a TE or RB, or throwing a 5-7-10 yard out to a WR, or throwing deep.

Pretty predictable. When you run as poorly as we do, teams will take the pass away. And throwing 51 times, Dalton will make mistakes.
Reply/Quote
If they were to really follow the HC calling offensive play model, they should have went with a Passing game Coordinator and Run game coordinator instead of just an OC.

We need that Run game Coordinator.

The rushing "attack" is as bad as I've ever seen. Ever.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:23 AM)Au165 Wrote: As I watch the last two weeks it is become more clear that we aren't attempting to recreate the Rams running attack in fact we are actually doing the opposite. The Rams put pressure on the edge by running the outside zone which gives the back the choice to attack the edge or cut it back when the pursuit is too aggressive. We have been adamant about slamming it between the tackles and with our personnel this has had 0 effectiveness so far. In terms of play calling we rarely pressure the edge, I haven't re watched the game yet but I can only remember a single pitch getting outside. The Seahawks game was similar in terms of not attacking the edge, however I chalked that up to the defensive alignment

On the other hand I have an issue with the way Mixon has attempted to run, scheme aside. He is back into the funk of wanting to bounce every run outside for a big play. There were multiple times yesterday where there was a lane inside for 3 or 4 yards but he took the hand off and either stutter stepped in the backfield, or immediately jumped laterally to the outside and got taken down. He has got to get back to being okay taking a 3 yards gain and keeping us on schedule. Yes, I know there were times he got hit in the backfield but there were other opportunities he was trying to do too much.

While we are at it, the jet motion wrinkle needs to expanded on. Motioning a guy across is fine and has a purpose but we need to add another layer. Andy Reid has a couple nice wrinkles off this, one being the motion guy curls back off the motion and loops around the QB for a swing pass back where he came. Maybe run some orbit screens by taking the motion from the start back behind the QB. Shanahan did a really good job of branching off the just the motion with screens off it.

The personnel is the biggest issue yes, however better play calling could go a long way in trying to hide some of our deficiencies.

I agree with the stutter steps by Mixon and I will add Gio.  I don't know what influence the new RB coach is having and not sure if he is instructing the RB to look for cut backs or just to push outside.  

The only offensive lineman I saw getting any push in the preseason was Price.   Maybe some have a point in losing Pollack to Turner.  I don't know but I think running between tackles is setting up other plays. It is like they are going through the motions of rushing to change defensive schemes.  Mixon was bouncing outside in the few snaps during the preseason.  The bottom line is:  if the line is not getting any push the RB will get stuffed.    
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:35 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well said, and I can't help but wonder what a coach like McVay would actually do here.

Our runs are between the Tackles where we get no push.

Our passing plays are some combination of faking a reverse, then throwing a screen to a TE or RB, or throwing a 5-7-10 yard out to a WR, or throwing deep.

Pretty predictable. When you run as poorly as we do, teams will take the pass away. And throwing 51 times, Dalton will make mistakes.

I actually have no issue with the passing game, I just wish the jet sweep action had more branches to help the running game. In terms of passing they have done a really good job of using Ross and Boyd. I think when AJ comes back the passing game will be really really good. I would like to see some five wide with Mixon/Eiffert/ Uzomah on one side and Ross and Boyd on the other. What this will do is isolate our TE's out in space on linebackers which I think is a match up I'd like to see us take advantage of more.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:23 AM)Au165 Wrote: As I watch the last two weeks it is become more clear that we aren't attempting to recreate the Rams running attack in fact we are actually doing the opposite. The Rams put pressure on the edge by running the outside zone which gives the back the choice to attack the edge or cut it back when the pursuit is too aggressive. We have been adamant about slamming it between the tackles and with our personnel this has had 0 effectiveness so far. In terms of play calling we rarely pressure the edge, I haven't re watched the game yet but I can only remember a single pitch getting outside. The Seahawks game was similar in terms of not attacking the edge, however I chalked that up to the defensive alignment

Mixon seems to have fallen into the same rut Hill did in trying to bust the home run with every carry instead of taking what's there.  The 3-4 yard runs he's passing on is the difference in being able to run a semblance of a balanced offense and would help get defenses to respect play action.  With the current OL situation,, you can't just expect them to pass protect 50+ times a game.  He's got to take those yards to help that unit.
Reply/Quote
Maybe Zac brings in a familiar face:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/lions-surprisingly-release-c-j-anderson-sign-former-giants-running-back-paul-perkins/

Quote:The Detroit Lions made a surprising move Tuesday, releasing running back C.J. Anderson and signing running back Paul Perkins to fill his spot on the roster. Perkins was waived by the New York Giants earlier Tuesday and claimed by the Lions, which led to the release of Anderson.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote