Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The running game going into the next round.
It's no secret that the passing game is awesome. But it seems the running game has been a bit flat. Excluding game 17 against the Browns when the second team was in, the last 5 games the Bengals averaged 86.4 yards rushing a game. Against Chargers 96 yards 3.8 average, 49rs 86 yards 3.3 yards average, Broncos 113 yards 4.3 yards average, Ravens 77 yards 3.7 average, and Chiefs 60 yards 3.2 average.

Yesterday against the Raiders 83 yards rushing with Mixon gaining 48 of them.

I don't know but I'd like to see more from the run game. Of course the air game is hard to defend given the top notch receiving team but IMO as the Bengals progress through the playoffs the running game needs to improve.

P.S. I may or may not still be celebrating the playoff win and thus not thinking straight. :)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 06:08 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: It's no secret that the passing game is awesome.  But it seems the running game has been a bit flat.  Excluding game 17 against the Browns when the second team was in, the last 5 games the Bengals averaged 86.4 yards rushing a game.   Against Chargers 96 yards 3.8 average, 49rs 86 yards 3.3 yards average, Broncos 113 yards 4.3 yards average, Ravens 77 yards 3.7 average, and Chiefs 60 yards 3.2 average.

I don't know but I'd like to see more from the run game.   Of course the air game is hard to defend given the top notch receiving team but IMO as the Bengals progress through the playoffs the running game needs to improve.

P.S.  I may or may not still be celebrating the playoff win and thus not thinking straight.   :)

You're thinking correctly.  Some plays it is effective, but it doesn't seem to be when we need it most.  We need to be able to impose our will in the run game to keep pass rushers at bay.  Right now defenses aren't respecting the run game overall, as it hasn't been a major threat.

I will say, there were a few moments yesterday that I thought Joe B could've scrambled for a big gain.  That needs to happen at least once a game to force the defense to keep an eye on him, helping to create some hesitation in the defense and allow space behind the first level.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals running game has been pretty flat all season long. I think given what we know right now, it is safe to assume we probably aren't going to get much from that side of the offense. Maybe it is better said to not expect anything from that side of the offense but the point is all still the same. You can see the Bengals running game broken down in this chart...

[Image: xLG8I6M.png]

It has performed pretty consistently all season, and that consistency hasn’t been positive. Cincinnati is going to do their damage through the air, not the ground. If the running game gets going, then that is wonderful but it shouldn't be relied on.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 06:08 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: It's no secret that the passing game is awesome.  But it seems the running game has been a bit flat.  Excluding game 17 against the Browns when the second team was in, the last 5 games the Bengals averaged 86.4 yards rushing a game.   Against Chargers 96 yards 3.8 average, 49rs 86 yards 3.3 yards average, Broncos 113 yards 4.3 yards average, Ravens 77 yards 3.7 average, and Chiefs 60 yards 3.2 average.

I don't know but I'd like to see more from the run game.   Of course the air game is hard to defend given the top notch receiving team but IMO as the Bengals progress through the playoffs the running game needs to improve.

P.S.  I may or may not still be celebrating the playoff win and thus not thinking straight.   :)

Bills have around middle-of-the-pack run defense, Titans have an elite run defense.
On the flip side, the Bills have literally the best pass defense in the NFL whereas the Titans are below average.

I'd say the Titans are the team the Bengals want to play against, as the passing game is stronger than the running game.
Get up early on the Titans and drive them to pass the ball.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The O line needs to run block better. We are going to have to improve in running the ball or we won't keep advancing. You need to be able to gain those crucial first downs and those crucial 3-4 yard runs to jeep us at good 3rd and 3s instead of 3rd and 12s
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 06:18 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: The O line needs to run block better. We are going to have to improve in running the ball or we won't keep advancing. You need to be able to gain those crucial first downs and those crucial 3-4 yard runs to jeep us at good 3rd and 3s instead of 3rd and 12s

This^^^
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 06:15 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The Bengals running game has been pretty flat all season long. I think given what we know right now, it is safe to assume we probably aren't going to get much from that side of the offense. Maybe it is better said to not expect anything from that side of the offense but the point is all still the same. You can see the Bengals running game broken down in this chart...

It has essentially been a negative asset all season. Cincinnati is going to do their damage through the air, not the ground. If the running game gets going, then that is wonderful but it shouldn't be relied on to do the bulk of the damage. 

Yep. I think we ran the ball too much yesterday. Especially in the redzone.

Let Joe do his thing.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 06:15 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The Bengals running game has been pretty flat all season long. I think given what we know right now, it is safe to assume we probably aren't going to get much from that side of the offense. Maybe it is better said to not expect anything from that side of the offense but the point is all still the same. You can see the Bengals running game broken down in this chart...

It has performed pretty consistently all season, and that consistency hasn’t been positive. Cincinnati is going to do their damage through the air, not the ground. If the running game gets going, then that is wonderful but it shouldn't be relied on.

Thanks for the graph and info. It's really cool that you track this so I appreciate it.   I guess what I'm saying is this would be a great time for the run game to pick up a bit.   When an opponent has to account for the run it opens up the pass even more.  So I hope next week run blocking improves and Mixon lights it up.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
It would be great to work on the run game in the draft. Won't a better lineman help both Joes out? We are so close to being unstoppable on offense.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 06:35 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: Yep. I think we ran the ball too much yesterday. Especially in the redzone.

Let Joe do his thing.

Zac commented on that in post game saying he's still trying to find a rhythm (redzone playcalling) and he's learning to let Burrow do his thing (i.e. instead of running for 2 down in redzone and giving burrow a 3rd long maybe try something else).
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 06:39 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Thanks for the graph and info. It's really cool that you track this so I appreciate it.   I guess what I'm saying is this would be a great time for the run game to pick up a bit.   When an opponent has to account for the run it opens up the pass even more.  So I hope next week run blocking improves and Mixon lights it up.

I agree, if the run game was ever going to improve, now is the time to do it.
Reply/Quote
I think the run game is doing enough to move the chains. Huge play yesterday
I.think.it was 4 and 1 and Mixon got hit by Square in the backfield but able to
Break the tackle and get a 1st.
Really like the burst Evans had on his 9 yd gain.
One thing about Mixon he takes awhile to get to top speed.
Id like to see more crackback blocks and quick pitches.
Sometimes those longer pitches takes so long to develop and Joe
When he squares his shoulders is already hemmed in.
Would not object to.seeing Evans getting more carries on counters or delay draws
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 06:42 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: It would be great to work on the run game in the draft. Won't a better lineman help both Joes out? We are so close to being unstoppable on offense.

100% We should go all O line in this draft. Sprinkle in some defense
Reply/Quote

Well of course the running game needs to improve. Mixon wasn't 100% though against the Raiders and they didn't want
to get ran on the way they were the first time we played them. We need to take what the Defense gives us and they did 
that and that is the important thing. With the Titans they might be more intent on stopping Burrow after the way he is 
playing lately which might open up the running game.

Just hoping Mixon is alright. I do like Perine and Evans though in case and Traveon actually has started looking okay for
once in the last couple weeks.

Need better play from the OL for us to improve in the running game. Pollack needs to be on their ass, I am sure he is.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to get killed for saying this, but Mixon looks like a shell of himself. He has had zero explosiveness lately.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 08:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'm going to get killed for saying this, but Mixon looks like a shell of himself. He has had zero explosiveness lately.

He seems to be falling or looking to fall often in his runs lately. Then taking a while to get up. Something is up for sure
Reply/Quote
I don't want to be that guy who can't admit that Mixon is just on a decline right now, but I feel like it starts with the o-line. We're ahead of schedule as far as where we should be this season. Once our season is over, o-line has to be #1 priority. I love sauce and a few other guys, and I'm not even talking free agency, but we NEED OL. If it's not addressed before the draft, I want to see OL twice in the first 3 rounds..
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 08:57 PM)Takedown Wrote: I don't want to be that guy who can't admit that Mixon is just on a decline right now, but I feel like it starts with the o-line. We're ahead of schedule as far as where we should be this season. Once our season is over, o-line has to be #1 priority. I love sauce and a few other guys, and I'm not even talking free agency, but we NEED OL. If it's not addressed before the draft, I want to see OL twice in the first 3 rounds..

Agree. I wouldn't even be that upset if it was all 3
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 08:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'm going to get killed for saying this, but Mixon looks like a shell of himself. He has had zero explosiveness lately.

He is worn out, this is what I was worried about with him. You cannot put all the carries on one back no matter who he is.

It is alright though, Perine, Evans and Traveon can get us through as long as our OL plays decent.

(01-16-2022, 08:56 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: He seems to be falling or looking to fall often in his runs lately. Then taking a while to get up. Something is up for sure

He looks a little tired and might of pulled a groin against the Raiders, that'll do it.

(01-16-2022, 08:57 PM)Takedown Wrote: I don't want to be that guy who can't admit that Mixon is just on a decline right now, but I feel like it starts with the o-line. We're ahead of schedule as far as where we should be this season. Once our season is over, o-line has to be #1 priority. I love sauce and a few other guys, and I'm not even talking free agency, but we NEED OL. If it's not addressed before the draft, I want to see OL twice in the first 3 rounds..

Oh yeah, OL in FA is what needs to be addressed for the entire team's sake.

Bring back Spain and add at least a couple top OL Free Agents to protect Burrow and open up holes for us in the running game.

Open up the Draft like I always say, we are really close to getting that team we all want.

(01-16-2022, 09:01 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: Agree. I wouldn't even be that upset if it was all 3

Grab some top OL in FA, take Sauce in the first and go trenches. BOOM! Mellow
Reply/Quote

He's had a lingering lower leg/ankle problem.  Every other game he comes out and has to get it taped up.
Reply/Quote