Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Trades The Ringer Would Like to See -- Would You?
(10-24-2019, 02:36 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah let's trade AJ Green for another Cordy Glenn.

It is a bummer that teams like the Rams and Patriots and Bears can trade for guys who are unhappy with their organizations and it works for them and we can't even make a guy who came from Buffalo anything but miserable to be here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 02:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It is a bummer that teams like the Rams and Patriots and Bears can trade for guys who are unhappy with their organizations and it works for them and we can't even make a guy who came from Buffalo anything but miserable to be here.

The guy's spent and doesn't wanna be here. Then we have a top player at his position who's been here 9 years, and still claims that he wants to be.... I don't understand the logic of "We're rebuilding; every talented player most go". I'd like to remind people that the last time we received a nice haul for a player we turned those picks into a 3rd down RB, and a middle of the pack CB that most of us hate.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 02:32 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right 

Plus he has that weird affection with comp picks that nobody else in the NFL world gives a damn about. 

Think of the headlines " Mike wins Super Bowl with a team full of comp picks" 

I can't find more current numbers, but over the first 20 years of compensatory picks ('94-'14) eleven teams had more compensatory picks than the Bengals.

Summary of NFL Compensatory Draft picks, 1994-2014

Baltimore Ravens.....41
Dallas Cowboys...…..33
Green Bay Packers...33
Philadelphia Eagles..30
Tennessee Titans....30
St. Louis Rams...…..30
Pittsburgh Steelers...29
New England Patriot.27
Buffalo Bills...………..26
New York Giants......23
San Francisco 49ers.23
Cincinatti Bengals....22
Indianapolis Colts....20
Seattle Seahawks....20
Detroit Lions......…..19
Jacksonville Jags.....19
Atlanta Falcons...…..18
San Diego Chargers.18
Tampa Bay Bucs......18
Chicago Bears...…….17
Miami Dolphins...…..17
Minnesota Vikings....17
Oakland Raiders......17
Arizona Cardinals....16
Kansas City Chiefs...15
Carolina Panthers....14
New York Jets...…...13
Wash Redskins...…..12
NO Saints...………….10
Denver Broncos...…..9
Houston Texans...…..9
Cleveland Browns.....6

TOTAL...…………...651
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 02:47 PM)jason Wrote: The guy's spent and doesn't wanna be here. Then we have a top player at his position who's been here 9 years, and still claims that he wants to be.... I don't understand the logic of "We're rebuilding; every talented player most go". I'd like to remind people that the last time we received a nice haul for a player we turned those picks into a 3rd down RB, and a middle of the pack CB that most of us hate.

It's the frustration of "We build through the draft" ok well then accumulate draft capital, hire a GM, get more scouts, do stuff that helps you build through the draft.  Do we build through the draft or is that our way of saying that we don't do the FA or trade thing?
Reply/Quote
Ummm...Trent Williams is disgruntled and injured a lot. I doubt he thrives here.
Reply/Quote
AJ Green for a malcontent OT? Why?

Atkins for a 3rd? No thanks. He's under contract and a 3rd round pick just ain't enough.

Dalton for a 2nd and 1st? Where do I sign.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 03:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ummm...Trent Williams is disgruntled and injured a lot. I doubt he thrives here.

Doesn't he have brain damage?

He might fit in perfectly.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 01:51 PM)shanebo Wrote: Williams definitely has issues, and he'll want a new contract.  But OTs generally have a longer playing career than WRs, and if the skins really did withhold medical info from him then he has a reason to be pissed.  Worst case, we'd be the first team with two holdout OTs.

LOL @ Andy/Geno switch.  He gave no reason why Andy would be worth a 1 and 2, or why Geno worth only a 3.  I just don't see Chicago giving up that much for Andy, they're already 3 games back of Green Bay (or any other team, for that matter ...)
And the Bengals are known throughout the land as having the greatest medical evaluation staff anywhere.. Well, they might be ok as a MASH unit in a war you know you've already lost..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 02:32 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right 

Plus he has that weird affection with comp picks that nobody else in the NFL world gives a damn about. 

Think of the headlines " Mike wins Super Bowl with a team full of comp picks" 

Mike wins super bowl with hand picked QBs..and Bengals fans all chip in to build a 70 foot tall statue of Mike's likeness on Fountain Square inscribed with the following:" We're sorry we ever doubted your dedication to winning!" 
Call me pessimistic, but somehow I just don't think that's gonna happen. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 02:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's the frustration of "We build through the draft" ok well then accumulate draft capital, hire a GM, get more scouts, do stuff that helps you build through the draft.  Do we build through the draft or is that our way of saying that we don't do the FA or trade thing?

You know what they say:

If at 1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th,7th,6th,9th,10th,11th,12th,13,14th,15th,16th,17th,18th,19th,20th,21st,22nd,23rd,24th,25th,26th,27th,28th, and 29th you don't succeed, keep trying the same stupid shit that doesn't work ........ again.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 07:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Doesn't he have brain damage?

He might fit in perfectly.

On the Bengals message boards
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 01:38 PM)shanebo Wrote: The Ringer just published its version of the many "NFL Trades We'd Like to See Before the Deadline" column.  https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/10/24/20929646/the-nfl-trades-wed-like-to-see-before-tuesdays-deadline

This one lists three theoretical Bengals trades:

a. AJ Green to Washington for Trent Williams
b. Geno Atkins to Oakland for 3rd rounder
c. Andy Dalton to Chicago for 2020 2nd rounder and 2021 1st rounder

Would you like to see any of those trades?

I'm sad to admit it, but at this point in the season I'd jump at a and c.  I love AJ, but he's not getting us to the playoffs this year, will be looking for a big contract next year, and is a huge injury risk.  Williams is under contract next year and would provide us immediate help at a position of need.  Trading Dalton would let us evaluate Finley, and if he sucks, to draft a QB early next year (which we'll probably do anyway).  Main issue is I don't see either trade happening, as player/player trades are rare in the NFL and I don't think the slight Trubisky-to-Dalton upgrade is worth a 1 and 2.

Forgot to add: I wouldn't do the Geno trade, as I would need more than a 3rd for him (although I could be overvaluing him).

a. I’m down to trade AJ but I don’t want Williams...Show me your picks

b. I want some sort of sweetener in that Geno deal. A 3rd alone doesn’t quite get it done.

c. I might hurt myself rushing to sign off on that one.
Reply/Quote