Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The running game - what gives ?
(10-23-2019, 11:30 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah I read the Jags players say on the screen pick 6 that when Bernard is in the Bengals pass. When Mixon is in they run.

That's super bad on the coaching.

We knew that too so why wouldn't he? It's sad really.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 11:43 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: There's always the possibility that Mixon isn't what we thought he was (cue in Denny Green here)? I doubt that's it, but possible. We are just bad everywhere. As for ZT's play calling, it seems stale already. No real creativity. Not that we havent seen a lot of things different than past years, but it looks so basic. We have zero element of surprise and Andy seems as if he's not reading defenses worth a shit. It seems the few times he does audible, he's choosing something worse than what he was probably going to run in the first place. Of course that can't be proven but damn, you guys see the same stuff I see, and it's real bad.

Man I've soured on Mixon. The whole talking shit to the fans for booing their shitty performance vs SF was the last straw. Sure he had a good season last year, but he looks to be a guy that gets what's blocked.

But in Mixon's defense... Nobody looks good right now
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 11:44 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: We knew that too so why wouldn't he? It's sad really.

Maybe Taylor was giving Jacksonville the ol "They don't know that I know they know" treatment.

Excellent skullduggery coach...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 12:05 PM)jason Wrote: Maybe Taylor was giving Jacksonville the ol "They don't know that I know they know" treatment.

Excellent skullduggery coach...

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
So...if you are a bad free throw shooter...you practice more free throws. If you are in a hitting slump. you spend more time in the cage. Sometimes I watch this team and wonder what exactly practice is all about with them. Since this is going on, on both sides of the ball, I question their preparedness. It's coaching in my opinion. Either they are not coaching right or something isn't sinking in.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 12:03 PM)jason Wrote: Man I've soured on Mixon. The whole talking shit to the fans for booing their shitty performance vs SF was the last straw. Sure he had a good season last year, but he looks to be a guy that gets what's blocked.

But in Mixon's defense... Nobody looks good right now

I'm feeling the same way a bit. I've seen him get hit in the backfield, a lot ! But I've also seen where it sure seems there were holes open to this side or that and he runs into the pile. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 12:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm feeling the same way a bit. I've seen him get hit in the backfield, a lot ! But I've also seen where it sure seems there were holes open to this side or that and he runs into the pile. 

Has he changed his running style? Last year, he appeared more of a downhill runner. This year he seems like a can of spam etching his way to a bunch of hungry defensive linemen. 

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 11:44 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: We knew that too so why wouldn't he? It's sad really.

I think this is a big part of the problem as well, tipping our plays or whatever you wanna call it. Whether it's formation, down and distance, something the QB is doing, just our general tendencies I dunno. But it sure seems teams know what we're gonna do damn near every play. 

(10-23-2019, 12:39 PM)Goalpost Wrote: So...if you are a bad free throw shooter...you practice more free throws.  If you are in a hitting slump. you spend more time in the cage.  Sometimes I watch this team and wonder what exactly practice is all about with them.  Since this is going on, on both sides of the ball, I question their preparedness.  It's coaching in my opinion.  Either they are not coaching right or something isn't sinking in.

At some point, and I believe we've reached it, coaching has to come into question. I get it we're not going to rewrite the record books with this personnel. But in the same breath I'm seriously questioning ZT's play calling/game planning.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 12:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm feeling the same way a bit. I've seen him get hit in the backfield, a lot ! But I've also seen where it sure seems there were holes open to this side or that and he runs into the pile. 

Many of the big runs he had last season were pretty much him bouncing outside and making things happen himself. I don’t know why he’s not doing it this season, but I find it highly unlikely he just sucks now. Gio has been even worse in his limited carries. I blame Taylor and the OL more than our RB’s. When 2 different guys can’t do anything that’s telling.

Reply/Quote

It's frustrating... The first possession against Arizona, it looked like he was going to run loose all day... Then nothing.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 12:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Many of the big runs he had last season were pretty much him bouncing outside and making things happen himself. I don’t know why he’s not doing it this season, but I find it highly unlikely he just sucks now. Gio has been even worse in his limited carries. I blame Taylor and the OL more than our RB’s. When 2 different guys can’t do anything that’s telling.

Oh I'm not trying to in any way say Mixon or Gio for that matter suck. I'm just thinking, and this is more Mixon IMO, his attitude is hurting him ! He's not seeing holes because he expects there to be none. He's pissed I get it.

But you have to put the last play stay behind you move forward. I don't think he's doing that very well and I think that's part of his problem.
Reply/Quote
We have an offense that is built around the offensive line the problem is they suck and worse than last season.
We basically have the 2017 offensive line with the lack of AJ on the outside.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 02:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't see why those two plays should have gone for positive yardage.  There were tacklers in the hole.
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 09:44 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001068689/article/frustrating-bengals-struggle-to-get-joe-mixon-going

Cincinnati averages 53.1 rush YPG and allows 189.0 rush YPG this season. The 135.9 rush YPG differential is the worst by any team in a season since the 1950 Baltimore Colts (-140.9).

It's so bad I have to question, is it really just that the Oline is that bad ? Yes I mean I get it our starters are marginal at best. But don't other factors have to be contributing to the awfulness ?

Bad blocking technique ?

Are we tipping our run plays somehow ?

Are we to predictable ?

Do we need a fullback
? Yes

Like Pistons has said we've fielded basically the same Oline as last season a lot of the time. It just seems to me there's more going on here than just how bad the players are.
Reply/Quote
To add to my last post, last season we were regularly employing 12 personnel and running well out of it. This season we run 11 personnel as a base, and it is not conducive to a run heavy offense. It worked in LA because of the strong line and a RB who was an MVP candidate.

Personally I would prefer 21 personnel with a FB leading the way. I would even settle for the Hewitt style H-back if it means we get a lead blocker out of it.

One last tidbit, I heard a (former?) oline coach on Movin' the Chains while driving home make the statement that the vast majority of current NFL linemen just don't have the skills to handle current dlinemen 1 on 1. This severely hampers things.
Reply/Quote
Did anyone watch the New England game the other night? Every time the Patriots needed a first down on short yardage they got one and here’s why: They lined up two extra tackles which means two extra gaps opposing linebackers have to close up.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 09:44 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001068689/article/frustrating-bengals-struggle-to-get-joe-mixon-going

Cincinnati averages 53.1 rush YPG and allows 189.0 rush YPG this season. The 135.9 rush YPG differential is the worst by any team in a season since the 1950 Baltimore Colts (-140.9).

It's so bad I have to question, is it really just that the Oline is that bad ? I mean I get it our starters are marginal at best. But don't other factors have to be contributing to the awfulness ?

Bad blocking technique ?

Are we tipping our run plays somehow ?

Are we to predictable ?

Do we need a fullback ?

Like Pistons has said we've fielded basically the same Oline as last season a lot of the time. It just seems to me there's more going on here than just how bad the players are.

Too many break downs across the board and a lack of attempts. Taylor has done a woeful job in run pass ratio. Every game i keep saying the same thing out loud to myself. They'll have a good run and i'll say "i wonder if they'll try and run it twice in a row?". More often than not the answer is no. Even if they fail on a run, there's no rule that says you can't attempt another run. 

Play calling has been beyond terrible and to make matters worse, the blocking has been bad to terrible when they actually do try to run, way too often. 

When it seems like your coach panics after a short loss or no gain on 1st or 2nd down, and thinks he has to throw to move the chains--and your quarterback is having a terrible year--it's a recipe for disaster. And that's exactly where the Bengals are. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 11:30 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah I read the Jags players say on the screen pick 6 that when Bernard is in the Bengals pass. When Mixon is in they run.

That's super bad on the coaching.

That's a bunch of 'we just won so we can say what we what' BS. 

Gio played 33 snaps, 21 pass/4 run. 7 of them were pass blocking snaps.
Joe played 38 snaps, 19 pass/10 run. 6 of them were pass blocking snaps. 

Someone on the Jags is talking out of their ass. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote