Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The scientist who enjoys debating creationists
Some of the best reading is on the links in the article to his blogs:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnfarrell/2015/07/31/meet-the-canadian-scientist-who-loves-battling-american-creationists/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+forbes/TechnologyNews+%28Forbes.com:+Technology+News%29
(07-31-2015, 07:45 PM)Beaker Wrote: Some of the best reading is on the links in the article to his blogs:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnfarrell/2015/07/31/meet-the-canadian-scientist-who-loves-battling-american-creationists/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+forbes/TechnologyNews+%28Forbes.com:+Technology+News%29

he can battle all he wants but when he takes his last breath he'll meet his maker! Then he can battle with the CREATOR!

(07-31-2015, 07:45 PM)Beaker Wrote: Some of the best reading is on the links in the article to his blogs:

What a moran...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(07-31-2015, 09:52 PM)RASCAL Wrote: he can battle all he wants but when he takes his last breath he'll meet his maker! Then he can battle with the CREATOR!

What if the creator tell him he was right all along?
(07-31-2015, 09:52 PM)RASCAL Wrote: he can battle all he wants but when he takes his last breath he'll meet his maker! Then he can battle with the CREATOR!

The sad part is that this is the best argument they have.

"If I'm right, which there's no reason whatsoever for anyone to believe I am, then you are in BIG TROUBLE after you die!"
(08-01-2015, 10:23 AM)Beaker Wrote: What if the creator tell him he was right all along?

(08-01-2015, 11:36 AM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: The sad part is that this is the best argument they have.

"If I'm right, which there's no reason whatsoever for anyone to believe I am, then you are in BIG TROUBLE after you die!"

Had a very good friend who found God (right after his divorce) and we would argue these things all the time.  He said there was no way at all I could understand the "true" meaning of scripture more than him because he STUDIED it!  He had a teacher and went to class and he learned what it REALLY means.

And I ended every discussion the same way:  The only way we'll know who is right it when we die.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-01-2015, 01:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: Had a very good friend who found God (right after his divorce) and we would argue these things all the time.  He said there was no way at all I could understand the "true" meaning of scripture more than him because he STUDIED it!  He had a teacher and went to class and he learned what it REALLY means.

And I ended every discussion the same way:  The only way we'll know who is right it when we die.

The "true" meaning of any faith is between you and who you are praying to.
ThumbsUp
(08-01-2015, 07:40 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: The "true" meaning of any faith is between you and who you are praying to.
ThumbsUp

Faith has nothing to do with whether or not evolution is occurring. It requires neither your faith, nor your belief.
I don't know....if a real "scientist" is battling Creationists I tend to think he must be getting his ass kicked by his peers. Sort of like you can't amount to anything in your field, so you go pick on the retards.
(08-01-2015, 09:39 PM)Beaker Wrote: Faith has nothing to do with whether or not evolution is occurring. It requires neither your faith, nor your belief.

And I don't require validation of my faith by you or anyone else.
I made the comment in regards to Dino's friend, speaking about "true" scripture.
For the record, I believe in evolution.
I also believe God is behind every step of it.
ThumbsUp
(08-02-2015, 06:11 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I don't know....if a real "scientist" is battling Creationists I tend to think he must be getting his ass kicked by his peers.  Sort of like you can't amount to anything in your field, so you go pick on the retards.

You may be right; I don't know anything about this guy outside of this article. But I think debunking creationism is a legitimate pursuit, especially in the United States.

I used to argue with creationists a lot. But I lost the patience for it.
There is a big difference between the people who claim there is a god behind the natural forces that created the universe and the people who claim "Science proves creationism!" or "The creation story in the Bible is literally 100% true."

You can't really argue with the first group. But the second group is basically rejecting science.
Do any evolutionists find it to be more than a coincidence that the theory of evolution pretty much mirrors the steps the Bible states that god took to create the Universe?

Nothingness, void (Universe), light (Galaxy), earth, plants, solar system, sea creatures, birds, land mammals, man.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-02-2015, 12:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do any evolutionists find it to be more than a coincidence that the theory of evolution pretty much mirrors the steps the Bible states that god took to create the Universe?

Nothingness, void (Universe), light (Galaxy), earth, plants, solar system, sea creatures, birds, land mammals, man.

No because that's not what the creation story says:

Its says the Earth, then light.

It also says the sky keeps the water in the sky from coming down.

The he made light again?  Someone how there was "light" without "lights" in the sky.

Quote:The Story of Creation

In the beginning, when God created the universe,[a] the earth was formless and desolate. The raging ocean that covered everything was engulfed in total darkness, and the Spirit of God[b] was moving over the water. Then God commanded, “Let there be light”—and light appearedGod was pleased with what he saw. Then he separated the light from the darkness, and he named the light “Day” and the darkness “Night.” Evening passed and morning came—that was the first day.
6-7 Then God commanded, “Let there be a dome to divide the water and to keep it in two separate places”—and it was done. So God made a dome, and it separated the water under it from the water above it. He named the dome “Sky.” Evening passed and morning came—that was the second day.
Then God commanded, “Let the water below the sky come together in one place, so that the land will appear”—and it was done. 10 He named the land “Earth,” and the water which had come together he named “Sea.” And God was pleased with what he saw. 11 Then he commanded, “Let the earth produce all kinds of plants, those that bear grain and those that bear fruit”—and it was done. 12 So the earth produced all kinds of plants, and God was pleased with what he saw. 13 Evening passed and morning came—that was the third day.
14 Then God commanded, “Let lights appear in the sky to separate day from night and to show the time when days, years, and religious festivals[c] begin;15 they will shine in the sky to give light to the earth”—and it was done. 16 So God made the two larger lights, the sun to rule over the day and the moon to rule over the night; he also made the stars. 17 He placed the lights in the sky to shine on the earth, 18 to rule over the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God was pleased with what he saw. 19 Evening passed and morning came—that was the fourth day.
20 Then God commanded, “Let the water be filled with many kinds of living beings, and let the air be filled with birds.” 21 So God created the great sea monsters, all kinds of creatures that live in the water, and all kinds of birds. And God was pleased with what he saw. 22 He blessed them all and told the creatures that live in the water to reproduce and to fill the sea, and he told the birds to increase in number. 23 Evening passed and morning came—that was the fifth day.

So, again, no.
(08-02-2015, 12:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do any evolutionists find it to be more than a coincidence that the theory of evolution pretty much mirrors the steps the Bible states that god took to create the Universe?

(08-02-2015, 01:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: No because that's not what the creation story says:

The he made light again?  Someone how there was "light" without "lights" in the sky.

So, again, no.

Also the second story says man was created before the plants.

Then he created animals to keep the man company.

Quote:The Garden of Eden

When the Lord[b] God made the universe, there were no plants on the earth and no seeds had sprouted, because he had not sent any rain, and there was no one to cultivate the land; but water would come up from beneath the surface and water the ground.
Then the Lord God took some soil from the ground and formed a man[c] out of it; he breathed life-giving breath into his nostrils and the man began to live.

Then the Lord God planted a garden in Eden, in the East, and there he put the man he had formed. He made all kinds of beautiful trees grow there and produce good fruit. In the middle of the garden stood the tree that gives life and the tree that gives knowledge of what is good and what is bad.[d]
10 A stream flowed in Eden and watered the garden; beyond Eden it divided into four rivers. 11 The first river is the Pishon; it flows around the country of Havilah. (12 Pure gold is found there and also rare perfume and precious stones.) 13 The second river is the Gihon; it flows around the country of Cush.[e]14 The third river is the Tigris, which flows east of Assyria, and the fourth river is the Euphrates.
15 Then the Lord God placed the man in the Garden of Eden to cultivate it and guard it. 16 He told him, “You may eat the fruit of any tree in the garden,17 except the tree that gives knowledge of what is good and what is bad.[f] You must not eat the fruit of that tree; if you do, you will die the same day.”
18 Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to live alone. I will make a suitable companion to help him.” 19 So he took some soil from the ground and formed all the animals and all the birds. Then he brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and that is how they all got their names. 20 So the man named all the birds and all the animals; but not one of them was a suitable companion to help him.
(08-02-2015, 01:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: No because that's not what the creation story says:

So, again, no.

Did you actually quote a verse that says that light was created before earth in an attempt to say "no it wasn't"?

(08-02-2015, 01:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Did you actually quote a verse that says that light was created before earth in an attempt to say "no it wasn't"?

Do really read this:

Quote:the earth was formless and desolate. The raging ocean that covered everything was engulfed in total darkness, and the Spirit of God[b] was moving over the water. Then God commanded, “Let there be light”—and light appeared

...and read it as light came first?  Rolleyes
(08-02-2015, 01:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: Also the second story says man was created before the plants.

Then he created animals to keep the man company.

Quote:8 Now the Lord God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. 9 The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Plants first

Quote:Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.

Animals first. He simply brought them to Adam to be named.

So again Yes.

(08-02-2015, 01:13 PM)GMDino Wrote: Do really read this:

...and read it as light came first?  Rolleyes

Yes light came before the earth was formed. How else I am supposed to read it?

(08-02-2015, 01:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes light came before the earth was formed. How else I am supposed to read it?

Luckily I have a couple hours to waste today.

Quote:the earth was formless and desolate. The raging ocean that covered everything was engulfed in total darkness, and the Spirit of God[b] was moving over the water.

This is the second verse.  It establishes that the Earth was completely covered with water...and total darkness. 

Total darkness means there was no light.  (For now we can ignore that the water would be frozen solid and not "raging" with no light.)

Quote:Then God commanded, “Let there be light”—and light appeared

This is the THIRD verse.  It FOLLOWS the second.  It establishes that because the Earth was in "total darkness" God created light.

Earth in darkness...verse 2.
Light created...verse 3.

2 and then 3.

Earth and then light.

2 and then 3.

Then LATER God created the Sun and moon and stars.

This will be your one and only lesson in how numbers work.  Rock On