Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The screen game
Gio Bernard had three receptions for 55 yards. Mixon had two for 16 yards. A couple of the biggest plays were screen passes. Although Burrow got killed on one, it is a logical call when the pass rush is teeing off. I don't care if you have to run it 5 times in a row. Think of it as a long handoff behind the defensive line. The way the defensive line was blowing through the offensive line, I often thought they were screens.

There was a play where if Fred Johnson didn't whiff on his block in space, Mixon has a huge gain. Never went back to it.

This is yet another example of Taylor not understanding his opponent as the Eagles have one of the worst LB corps in the league.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 08:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Gio Bernard had three receptions for 55 yards.  Mixon had two for 16 yards.  A couple of the biggest plays were screen passes.  Although Burrow got killed on one, it is a logical call when the pass rush is teeing off.  I don't care if you have to run it 5 times in a row.  Think of it as a long handoff behind the defensive line.  The way the defensive line was blowing through the offensive line, I often thought they were screens.

There was a play where if Fred Johnson didn't whiff on his block in space, Mixon has a huge gain.  Never went back to it.  

This is yet another example of Taylor not understanding his opponent as the Eagles have one of the worst LB corps in the league.

You're onto something, of course.  Screen passes work best with good downfield and near field blocking by wide receivers and Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd do this expertly; AJ Green used to but now, not so much -- and I understand why not.  

The other way to exploit a bad linebacker corps is to use tight end crossing routes about ten yards deep across the middle.  I know this because every other offensive coordinator in the league did this to the Bengals successfully for about twenty years.
Reply/Quote
Taylor better figure out a master screen gameplan when it comes time to face Pitt and Balt.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 08:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Gio Bernard had three receptions for 55 yards.  Mixon had two for 16 yards.  A couple of the biggest plays were screen passes.  Although Burrow got killed on one, it is a logical call when the pass rush is teeing off.  I don't care if you have to run it 5 times in a row.  Think of it as a long handoff behind the defensive line.  The way the defensive line was blowing through the offensive line, I often thought they were screens.

There was a play where if Fred Johnson didn't whiff on his block in space, Mixon has a huge gain.  Never went back to it.  

Yep

I've heard a few people say now it's not the playcalling. And I get it, it's missing blocks, blown assignments, dropped passes, bad throws, and so on along with the play calls. 

But what about the plays not called ? What about understanding your opponent ? taking advantage of their weakness ? knowing your strengths ? knowing how to set up an opponent ?
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 08:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is yet another example of Taylor not understanding his opponent as the Eagles have one of the worst LB corps in the league.

I don't understand this. Their are glaring weaknesses in every defense and we don't seem to try and attack those weaknesses. Why is this? I think the planning is poor. Really leaning towards the idea that ZT needs to give up the play calling.

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 08:50 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You're onto something, of course.  Screen passes work best with good downfield and near field blocking by wide receivers and Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd do this expertly; AJ Green used to but now, not so much -- and I understand why not.  

The other way to exploit a bad linebacker corps is to use tight end crossing routes about ten yards deep across the middle.  I know this because every other offensive coordinator in the league did this to the Bengals successfully for about twenty years.

That develops too quickly for this offense... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 09:26 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

I've heard a few people say now it's not the playcalling. And I get it, it's missing blocks, blown assignments, dropped passes, bad throws, and so on along with the play calls. 

But what about the plays not called ? What about understanding your opponent ? taking advantage of their weakness ? knowing your strengths ? knowing how to set up an opponent ?

So far he has shown none of that...Come to think of it, the one game he looked like an expert was his first game, against Seattle.  Maybe coming from the Rams, he knew that division.  Then he crapped the bed against the 49ers the next week, so I guess not.  
Reply/Quote
I am hoping the sprint out's we saw a couple times result in a throwback screen this week. The second time they ran it I was almost positive they were going to leak sample back across the grain as the whole defense sprinted wide with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:16 AM)Au165 Wrote: I am hoping the sprint out's we saw a couple times result in a throwback screen this week. The second time they ran it I was almost positive they were going to leak sample back across the grain as the whole defense sprinted wide with Burrow.

Did you see how KC does this?  Holy shit.  Talk about playing chess while we are playing checkers.  Or maybe even just tic-tac-toe.  
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 08:50 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You're onto something, of course.  Screen passes work best with good downfield and near field blocking by wide receivers and Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd do this expertly; AJ Green used to but now, not so much -- and I understand why not.  

Just reading this gives me vague PTSD flashes of a game where the opposing QB had 5 or 7 straight completions in a row with Maualuga plodding 3-5 yards behind on all of them. What game was that?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:29 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Just reading this gives me vague PTSD flashes of a game where the opposing QB had 5 or 7 straight completions in a row with Maualuga plodding 3-5 yards behind on all of them. What game was that?

You are thinking exactly as I was!  It was the playoff game against the Texans in 2012.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:32 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You are thinking exactly as I was!  It was the playoff game against the Texans in 2012.

[Image: tumblr_ni6tw6Rdpx1qg8euoo1_250.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Did you see how KC does this?  Holy shit.  Talk about playing chess while we are playing checkers.  Or maybe even just tic-tac-toe.  

San Francisco runs a nice set where they throwback to the TE of play-action that I'd love to see us incorporate to use Sample's blocking as way to get him a free release. 
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 08:56 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: Taylor better figure out a master screen gameplan when it comes time to face Pitt and Balt.

Gonna be hard to do when they'll need 9 guys to block their 4. 
Reply/Quote
The Bengals should let Brandon Wilson come in and run some Jet motions on some of their inside zone runs like KC does with Tyreek Hill in the slot. If the defense keeps crashing down anyway flip it to him Wilson is fast and shows excellent vision on kick offs. He did play running back in college.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Yep.
I believe in one of the threads last week, I mentioned the Bengals will need to exploit the Eagles' LBs in the middle of the field. Or maybe that was CLE's LBs. Would have been true both weeks.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:39 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: tumblr_ni6tw6Rdpx1qg8euoo1_250.gif]

Yeah, made Owen? Daniels look like Kellen Winslow.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:53 AM)Au165 Wrote: San Francisco runs a nice set where they throwback to the TE of play-action that I'd love to see us incorporate to use Sample's blocking as way to get him a free release. 

On of my fav plays from the prior OC was the TE screen.  Was good for 10-15 yards every time they ran it....all four times in a couple years.   Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 02:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep.
I believe in one of the threads last week, I mentioned the Bengals will need to exploit the Eagles' LBs in the middle of the field. Or maybe that was CLE's LBs. Would have been true both weeks.

And with that simple statement, you are elevated to more qualified to create a game plan than the OC and HC.  They chose to ignore that.  
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 08:56 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: Taylor better figure out a master screen gameplan when it comes time to face Pitt and Balt.

...and place Burrow an extra 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage than usual. RIP Burrow Violin
Reply/Quote