Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The screen game again
https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-notebook-youth-looking-at-busy-second-half-of-season-injury-update-o-lin

Nice breakdown from Lap on the Bengal's usage of the screen game, particularly against the Browns. My question is: Why didn't the team run more screen when they faced Baltimore? They were blitzing more than anyone. Or against Philly when Burrow was getting pounded? I was screaming at the TV in those games to screen them, but they just kept having Burrow sit in the pocket.

One other thing: If anyone else has noticed, there have been numerous times where Burrow looked like he was doing a simple read action to his RB. He has not kept the ball more than one time this season if memory serves. There were plays against the Browns and the Ravens where if Burrow kept the ball, he is still running.

I don't want to expose the guy to more hits, but if there is a critical third down, rather than let Gio run in to a pile, I would like to see Burrow fool a crashing-down DE and pull the ball for an easy conversion...but get down or out of bounds once you get the yardage.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 09:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-notebook-youth-looking-at-busy-second-half-of-season-injury-update-o-lin

Nice breakdown from Lap on the Bengal's usage of the screen game, particularly against the Browns. My question is: Why didn't the team run more screen when they faced Baltimore? They were blitzing more than anyone. Or against Philly when Burrow was getting pounded? I was screaming at the TV in those games to screen them, but they just kept having Burrow sit in the pocket.

One other thing: If anyone else has noticed, there have been numerous times where Burrow looked like he was doing a simple read action to his RB. He has not kept the ball more than one time this season if memory serves. There were plays against the Browns and the Ravens where if Burrow kept the ball, he is still running.

I don't want to expose the guy to more hits, but if there is a critical third down, rather than let Gio run in to a pile, I would like to see Burrow fool a crashing-down DE and pull the ball for an easy conversion...but get down or out of bounds once you get the yardage.

That's on Burrow; he'll learn.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 09:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-notebook-youth-looking-at-busy-second-half-of-season-injury-update-o-lin

Nice breakdown from Lap on the Bengal's usage of the screen game, particularly against the Browns.  My question is:  Why didn't the team run more screen when they faced Baltimore?  They were blitzing more than anyone. Or against Philly when Burrow was getting pounded?  I was screaming at the TV in those games to screen them, but they just kept having Burrow sit in the pocket.  

One other thing:  If anyone else has noticed, there have been numerous times where Burrow looked like he was doing a simple read action to his RB.  He has not kept the ball more than one time this season if memory serves.  There were plays against the Browns and the Ravens where if Burrow kept the ball, he is still running.

It's tough without seeing the play specifically your reference here, but they actually have a lot of RPO's built-in this year that aren't meant for the QB to pull the ball and run but actually to throw the quick slant behind the backside LB (the read often will look similar in terms of where QB looks). They have thrown the quick slant a couple of times this year, and I think even a second level RPO to AJ against the Ravens. I have really liked this addition, I think its use on 3rd and short is a great way to let the QB still have an option on a running play in short yardage.
Reply/Quote

Nice breakdown from Lap on the Bengal's usage of the screen game, particularly against the Browns.  My question is:  Why didn't the team run more screen when they faced Baltimore?  They were blitzing more than anyone. Or against Philly when Burrow was getting pounded?  I was screaming at the TV in those games to screen them, but they just kept having Burrow sit in the pocket.  

One other thing:  If anyone else has noticed, there have been numerous times where Burrow looked like he was doing a simple read action to his RB.  He has not kept the ball more than one time this season if memory serves.  There were plays against the Browns and the Ravens where if Burrow kept the ball, he is still running.

Go back and rewatch Perrine get stonewalled on that 3rd and 1
2 weeks ago. The DE took a inside step and all JB had to do
Was keep and run toward the sideline. 1st down easy.

Id like to see them use Williams on a middle screen on 2nd and long. He's only 5'8. Very easy to go unoticed and get behind the upfield rush catch and go.
Reply/Quote

Most notable difference between those two games? Starting RB.

I think Gio just lets you do more things because you're safe knowing he can block, everyone knows he can catch, and he's not terrible at taking a handoff up the middle. He's also excellent at using his blocks to their maximum. Just a wider variety of things you can do successfully with him in the game, which keeps the defense guessing more.

Opposed to earlier in the year when Gio had just 4 rushes through his first 5 games, so when Gio came into the game you already knew it wasn't going to be a running play and could defend accordingly.

I do think Mixon probably has more pure-running talent than Gio, but Gio is just a more complete back. Just a shame that he's not had a quality OC over the last 5 years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 09:32 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That's on Burrow; he'll learn.

I mean, they never punted so it wasn't like he needed it, but I can't help but think that play is there when needed.  It would be really nice to salvage this season and knock off pitt once or twice.  
Reply/Quote
Pitt gonna play Varsity ball against our little league, at least the browns were in JV.

Yeah, can't tell if Burrow's extended players are worth the sacks he takes, it will take experience for him to know when to throw the ball away, he just doesn't seem to want to lol
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 08:13 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Pitt gonna play Varsity ball against our little league, at least the browns were in JV.

Yeah, can't tell if Burrow's extended players are worth the sacks he takes, it will take experience for him to know when to throw the ball away, he just doesn't seem to want to lol

I get the frustration, but this team isn't little league.  The special teams are among the best in the league.  Aside from the ratbird game, the offense has had them in every game.  The defense has had its issues but has lost key pieces and had a massive drop off from one of its most valuable players from a year ago.  

Calling the Bengals little league isn't going to help anything, nor is it accurate.  

Have you looked at the teams that pitt has beat?   A real murderers row.  

I got my hopes up in the offseason because I believe so strongly in Burrow and thought that the likes of Ross and Green could excel under him.  Well, he has had to do it more with Higgins and even Sample, but he has answered the bell every week with the exception of the raven game.  Had the defense done what I thought they could they way they came on at the end of last year and with the new pieces, the Bengals would be right in the thick of it.  Heck, the BS call against the Chargers and the last second loss to the Browns last week flip and you are 3-3-1.  

That isn't little league in this division and with the schedule they have played to this point. 
Reply/Quote