Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The search (apparently) is back on....
(02-04-2019, 11:29 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It could be worse so JDR would be a vet coach to stabilize things.  I thought they would really push hard for Bill C for line coach.  Damn.

They still could be.  We got an assistant line coach today but we still looking for our oline coach as we speak.  Id have to believe well do everything we can to get callahan but with him being under contract its not really up to us.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 10:05 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Looks like Del Rio is gonna be names DC

https://mobile.twitter.com/andyfurmanfsr/status/1092570114027913216

Would be really nice if this is true,  I've also been hoping it would be JDR that got the job.   We need someone that can get this D back on track,  too many good players we have on that unit for it to be as bad as it was.  We need some LB'ers but thats not alot.
Reply/Quote
They just said on NFL radio that Del Rio was coming in for an interview....
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 09:14 AM)Sled21 Wrote:  They just said on NFL radio that Del Rio was coming in for an interview....

Excited
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
I think it's interesting we all thought they had the coaches lined up, but it's looking like they were really waiting for the hire to be official to begin the interview process.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think it's interesting we all thought they had the coaches lined up, but it's looking like they were really waiting for the hire to be official to begin the interview process.

or more likely they reached out to Del Rio and he wouldn't commit before talking to Zac which he couldn't do until he was done playing.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 11:29 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It could be worse so JDR would be a vet coach to stabilize things. I thought they would really push hard for Bill C for line coach. Damn.

Perhaps Mike Sherman comes in to mentor the new ol asst coach until Callahan’s deal is up in Washington?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:07 PM)pally Wrote: or more likely they reached out to Del Rio and he wouldn't commit before talking to Zac which he couldn't do until he was done playing.

Del Rio could have talked to Zac anytime.

Besides, we have at least 3 more openings that aren't filled, and don't sound like they were (unlike the TE coach and the assistant Oline coach).

Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
Well reality is hitting. I think the most peace we had around here was when we didn't have a head coach.

We were able to dream and believe. No Del Rio, no Callahan, and the dream staff is falling apart.

Reply/Quote
If we end up settling for Capers that will be brutal. Would have loved to seen what JDR could have done with our Defense. They have talent on that side and I think he would have got the best out of it. Someone like Capers is just asking for another Austin situation. Not very excited about the staff he seems to be adding.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:19 PM)Au165 Wrote:

Welp. This sucks.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:07 PM)pally Wrote: or more likely they reached out to Del Rio and he wouldn't commit before talking to Zac which he couldn't do until he was done playing.

That's my guess.

Until his signature was on the papers, Zac hadn't committed. It would be a bad business decision for a coordinator to sign on the expectation of Zac being the head coach, as either party could've changed their mind.

I'd assume when we interviewed Taylor he identified a few coaches he would be interested in, and we probably reached out while he was in the super bowl. But no one would commit until the deal was done, unless it was someone who would've joined up anyway.
Reply/Quote

I can respect that. If they both thought it wasn't going to work for them, better to just part ways now and not in the middle of the season. 
Reply/Quote
It is also possible that JDR was never Zac's first choice but managements

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I hope they call everyone in Mikey's Rolodex before they settle on Capers.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Well, I think Jack Del Rio is a very solid coach.

I do like what I read, the Bengals were willing to get him.

It was Zac Taylor that didn't like him. He must of asked him how to stop certain things and didn't like what his thought process was on it.

That means that the Bengals are fully allowing him to either succeed or fail based on his choices.

Also they reported some of the questions they asked every candidate in the head coaching process.

1.) If you run a predominantly zone scheme, how do you make it look the same in a run game vs. the pass game? 

2.) What do you do if you’ve got a tight end not strong enough to block on the front side? 

3.) What do you do when you lose your stud tight end? Or your No. 2 receiver?

One it seems like to me that some of these questions were obviously digs at Marvin Lewis.

Based on the 2nd question, they didn't like the way Marvin played Tyler Eifert like a blocking tight end and feel like this ultimately led to a lot of his injuries.

The 3rd question, they obviously didn't like the way Marvin Lewis handled the injury situation last year and obviously another dig on how he handled Tyler Eifert.

Apparently, Zac Taylor is the exact opposite of Marvin Lewis.

Also reports are that he gave very detailed answers, very innovative playcalling to over come deficiencies.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of the hurry up offense and a Drew Brees type of offense this year.

My guess is Jack Del Rio's vision of what the team should be and what Zac Taylor's vision of what this team should be were just too fundamentally different.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:00 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: Based on the 2nd question, they didn't like the way Marvin played Tyler Eifert like a blocking tight end and feel like this ultimately led to a lot of his injuries.

Eiffert was actually a good blocker, to me it was more about Uzomah. 
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:00 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: Well, I think Jack Del Rio is a very solid coach.

I do like what I read, the Bengals were willing to get him.

It was Zac Taylor that didn't like him. He must of asked him how to stop certain things and didn't like what his thought process was on it.

That means that the Bengals are fully allowing him to either succeed or fail based on his choices.

Also they reported some of the questions they asked every candidate in the head coaching process.

1.) If you run a predominantly zone scheme, how do you make it look the same in a run game vs. the pass game? 

2.) What do you do if you’ve got a tight end not strong enough to block on the front side? 

3.) What do you do when you lose your stud tight end? Or your No. 2 receiver?

One it seems like to me that some of these questions were obviously digs at Marvin Lewis.

Based on the 2nd question, they didn't like the way Marvin played Tyler Eifert like a blocking tight end and feel like this ultimately led to a lot of his injuries.

The 3rd question, they obviously didn't like the way Marvin Lewis handled the injury situation last year and obviously another dig on how he handled Tyler Eifert.

Apparently, Zac Taylor is the exact opposite of Marvin Lewis.

Also reports are that he gave very detailed answers, very innovative playcalling to over come deficiencies.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of the hurry up offense and a Drew Brees type of offense this year.

My guess is Jack Del Rio's vision of what the team should be and what Zac Taylor's vision of what this team should be were just too fundamentally different.

Its more likely Zac couldent talk Del Rio into the job.  32nd defense in the league and maybe Jack thought it wasnt the right opportunity for him.  Im sure he wants to have a top D to try and get himself another shot at being a head coach.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:21 PM)Au165 Wrote: Eiffert was actually a good blocker, to me it was more about Uzomah. 

I also think Tyler Eifert is a very solid blocker too.

You might might very well be correct about Uzomah.

When you think about it the Bengals, in the Marvin Lewis era, have had some very good talent at tight end.

When I sit and think about it, it seems a lot of our tight ends had a lot of injuries and weren't always used to the best of their abilities.

It feels like to me they thought Marvin played them too much like a Reggie Kelly and wasn't innovative enough with them.

Reggie Kelly was the spiritual leader of the team, just like Whitworth was. But not everybody is meant to play in the trenches at tight end like Kelly was.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote