Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The sky is falling, after a dub and back to .500
Relax everyone.

Did it look good? no.
Did the bengals get the win? yes.
Are they 3-3 after an abysmal start? Yea!

Look around the league this week
KC struggled against Den
Bills struggled against NYG
SF lost to a short handed browns
Eagles lost to the NYJ with Zach wilson

Winning in the NFL is never easy, and it’s better to win ugly than lose pretty.

This team has played the worst football we have seen in 3 years and they have found a way to be .500 and in the thick of things. The parity/balance in the NFL this year about as open as I can recall. Every team in the NFL is beatable.

Burrow is getting healthier, in fact the bengals may be the healthiest team in the NFL coming out of the bye.

Let’s take a few deep breaths, and look forward.

I have a young daughter and Disney is pretty prominent:

Rafiki – then hits Simba with a stick on the head!! When Simba asks him “What was that for?!!”, he replies “Doesn’t matter – it’s in the past”.

Simba then says – “Yes, but it still hurts.”

Rafiki then replies with his key message – “Ah yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it or learn from it”

It’s now time to learn from the first 6 weeks and the bengals can position themselves to make a run. The fact we are even having this conversation after the 1-3 start is a win, and it doesn’t really matter how we got here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 09:19 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Relax everyone.  

Did it look good? no.
Are they 3-3 after an abysmal start?  Yea!

KC struggled against Den

This team has played the worst football we have seen in 3 years and they have found a way to be .500 and in the thick of things.  The parity/balance in the NFL this year about as open as I can recall.  Every team in the NFL is beatable.

Burrow is getting healthier, in fact the bengals may be the healthiest team in the NFL coming out of the bye.  

Rafiki – then hits Simba with a stick on the head!!  When Simba asks him “What was that for?!!”, he replies “Doesn’t matter – it’s in the past”.

Rafiki then replies with his key message – “Ah yes, the past can hurt.  But the way I see it you can either run from it or learn from it”

It’s now time to learn from the first 6 weeks and the bengals can position themselves to make a run.  The fact we are even having this conversation after the 1-3 start is a win, and it doesn’t really matter how we got here.

There once was a fellow on here who reportedly killed a gopher with a stick.  Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 09:25 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There once was a fellow on here who reportedly killed a gopher with a stick.  Mellow

LOL. If that’s what you got out of it, glad I posted it :)
Reply/Quote

Did it look good? no.
Are they 3-3 after an abysmal start? Yea!

KC struggled against Den

This team has played the worst football we have seen in 3 years and they have found a way to be .500 and in the thick of things. The parity/balance in the NFL this year about as open as I can recall. Every team in the NFL is beatable.

Rafiki – then hits Simba with a stick on the head!! When Simba asks him “What was that for?!!”, he replies “Doesn’t matter – it’s in the past”.

Rafiki then replies with his key message – “Ah yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it or learn from it”

It’s now time to learn from the first 6 weeks and the bengals can position themselves to make a run. The fact we are even having this conversation after the 1-3 start is a win, and it doesn’t really matter how we got here.

I’m usually a big defender of the staff. I certainly get that Burrow’s injury was a huge factor. But the OL didn’t pull their calf muscle. Irv Smith has not done squat. The offense just doesn’t look good. It’s not good that the offense starts so slow every stinking year. I’m sorry this team needed to be ready a hell of a lot more … especially with Joe’s injury. As always the defense was ready even with two new safeties. Nick Scott is not good. I just don’t think this team can duplicate last year. Too far to go. I do think they will make the playoffs. Our division is brutal.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 09:34 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m usually a big defender of the staff. I certainly get that Burrow’s injury was a huge factor. But the OL didn’t pull their calf muscle. Irv Smith has not done squat. The offense just doesn’t look good. It’s not good that the offense starts so slow every stinking year. I’m sorry this team needed to be ready a hell of a lot more … especially with Joe’s injury. As always the defense was ready even with two new safeties. Nick Scott is not good. I just don’t think this team can duplicate last year. Too far to go. I do think they will make the playoffs. Our division is brutal.

The OL was really handicapped by burrows injury. Irv smith has been a huge disappointment and Nick Scott hasn’t been good.

However, we have been in this spot 3 years in a row now. The OL will continue to get better (looking at last years step forward after week 8, and before injuries) as will burrow.

Now would be a good time to make a move for a better tight end, with the bye week. RB is kind of stuck this year.
Reply/Quote
We could be chargers fans.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 09:47 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: We could be chargers fans.

!!
Reply/Quote
We're at bye and at 3-3. They sound like they understand the issues and have two weeks to work them. We'll see how far they get in two weeks when they play SF.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 09:38 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: The OL was really handicapped by burrows injury. Irv smith has been a huge disappointment and Nick Scott hasn’t been good.

However, we have been in this spot 3 years in a row now. The OL will continue to get better (looking at last years step forward after week 8, and before injuries) as will burrow.

Now would be a good time to make a move for a better tight end, with the bye week. RB is kind of stuck this year.

Run blocking has not been influenced by Joe’s calf injury. We needed a good run game with Joe hurt. Didn’t happen. It’s been lackluster too long.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 10:30 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Run blocking has not been influenced by Joe’s calf injury. We needed a good run game with Joe hurt. Didn’t happen. It’s been lackluster too long.

It all ties in together, you know that. When there isn’t much respect for the pass, then it’s easier to key in on the running game. This team is backwards setting up the run via the pass. The tough pill to swallow is that on a short down and distance, this team struggles to pick that up.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 10:43 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: It all ties in together, you know that. When there isn’t much respect for the pass, then it’s easier to key in on the running game. This team is backwards setting up the run via the pass. The tough pill to swallow is that on a short down and distance, this team struggles to pick that up.

It may all tie together but teams are stuffing our run game without having to really try. It’s making the passing game tough.

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 10:43 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: It all ties in together, you know that.  When there isn’t much respect for the pass, then it’s easier to key in on the running game.  This team is backwards setting up the run via the pass.  The tough pill to swallow is that on a short down and distance, this team struggles to pick that up.

He should know that. When the opponent knows you can't go deep, it's pretty easy to bring the safeties up and cover the short stuff and stuff the run. 
Reply/Quote
SF and Buffalo up next. We will find out if they are contenders or pretenders over these next two games. I get that they are OK at 3-3 but the offense is a big issue as that performance won’t get them Ws for the next couple of games. Even the QB and OC are concerned about it
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 09:25 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There once was a fellow on here who reportedly killed a gopher with a stick.  Mellow

Always love a Fred callback.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote

Did it look good? no.
Are they 3-3 after an abysmal start?  Yea!

KC struggled against Den

This team has played the worst football we have seen in 3 years and they have found a way to be .500 and in the thick of things.  The parity/balance in the NFL this year about as open as I can recall.  Every team in the NFL is beatable.

Rafiki – then hits Simba with a stick on the head!!  When Simba asks him “What was that for?!!”, he replies “Doesn’t matter – it’s in the past”.

Rafiki then replies with his key message – “Ah yes, the past can hurt.  But the way I see it you can either run from it or learn from it”

It’s now time to learn from the first 6 weeks and the bengals can position themselves to make a run.  The fact we are even having this conversation after the 1-3 start is a win, and it doesn’t really matter how we got here.

I'm with you, Bengalbug! A win is a win. I don't care how we win as long as we win. 

Yes, there are things that need worked on, but as long as we win, I don't care how ugly it is as long as we win (and as long as none of our guys get injured. Right, rfaulk?). I would love to blow out every opponent, but it's not going to happen.

Just win, baby. That's all that I ask.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

I heard it was a shovel.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 11:51 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I heard it was a shovel.

They say that tales grow taller on down the line..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 11:31 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm with you, Bengalbug! A win is a win. I don't care how we win as long as we win. 

Yes, there are things that need worked on, but as long as we win, I don't care how ugly it is as long as we win (and as long as none of our guys get injured. Right, rfaulk?). I would love to blow out every opponent, but it's not going to happen.

Just win, baby. That's all that I ask.

You sonofa...  Rant

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Interestingly, there are only 4 teams under .500 in the AFC.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 09:29 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: LOL.  If that’s what you got out of it, glad I posted it :)

I couldn't resist the old school reference.  But I do generally agree with the spirit of your message.  I'd much rather see an ugly victory than have the team "look good" and yet still lose.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote