Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The smartest Message Board Move ever
(10-08-2018, 09:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That's a league wide problem. They have an issue they will not deal with, and are stick8ng their heads in the sand over it...

With the exception of LA, we're the worse in percentage of seats sold, and number of seats sold, according to this: http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Is this going to become a weekly tradition to complain about what people post in the game day thread? There was a similar thread last week. I follow the thread and most of the really negative game/season is over stuff comes from the same handful of people every week. I just ignore it and enjoy the rest of the thread. Most of the posts are interesting, provide insight into plays I might have not caught myself and there are often a lot of funny posts as well. I suppose if some of the regular negative Nancys is so troubling that it is worthy of commenting about it every week there is always the option to not follow the thread. But what do I know.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 12:13 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: With the exception of LA, we're the worse in percentage of seats sold, and number of seats sold, according to this: http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance

And that's only because Angelenos don't want to risk a sketchy neighborhood to see a game in a dilapidated stadium, despite the winning.  That will change when their new palace opens year after next.

The reason (most) people aren't coming to PBS is because of the regime in charge.  Since the team had that post-2010 meltdown, attendance has been down.  Five consecutive playoff losses haven't helped.  All of which predates any of the perceived issues with today's NFL.  Talking to coworkers who had endzone seats but gave them up before the 2017 season, their reason for finally throwing in the towel was yet another season of the Mike & Marvin show.  It was just more of the same old same old, and it finally got to be too much for them.  Apparently, some people don't have as high a tolerance level for that as ticket-buying chumps like me.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 11:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For those that do not know, JN used to be open during the game, but too many Chicken Littles would start threads about how we were the worst team ever, had the worst coaches ever, or how the season was over. Actually, I think an old board fav "Joe from Flo" was the reason we shut down JN during the games.

Luckily those that in charge around here carried over that tradition. If not there would have been about 12 threads started before the halftime of the Dolphins game. There were about 3 posters that stated the season was over, about 27 that wanted to fire Austin when we were down 0-7, and 36 that said this game is over.

I just glance here and there at the game day thread.
I generally liked seeing all the off the wall threads in JN but I am not actively involved in the commenting so if the majority didn't like it I am glad they got rid of it.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 12:45 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Is this going to become a weekly tradition to complain about what people post in the game day thread?  There was a similar thread last week.  I follow the thread and most of the really negative game/season is over stuff comes from the same handful of people every week.  I just ignore it and enjoy the rest of the thread.  Most of the posts are interesting, provide insight into plays I might have not caught myself and there are often a lot of funny posts as well.  I suppose if some of the regular negative Nancys is so troubling that it worthy of making a thread about it every week there is always the option to not follow the thread.  But what do I know.

I bet there are more people who complain about the gameday thread than people saying the season is over etc in the gameday thread...
Reply/Quote
games like that are a rollercoaster of emotions and do not think I would enjoy a message board during that time.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 11:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For those that do not know, JN used to be open during the game, but too many Chicken Littles would start threads about how we were the worst team ever, had the worst coaches ever, or how the season was over. Actually, I think an old board fav "Joe from Flo" was the reason we shut down JN during the games.

Luckily those that in charge around here carried over that tradition. If not there would have been about 12 threads started before the halftime of the Dolphins game. There were about 3 posters that stated the season was over, about 27 that wanted to fire Austin when we were down 0-7, and 36 that said this game is over.

That's what makes the boards fun too.   Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 12:45 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: And that's only because Angelenos don't want to risk a sketchy neighborhood to see a game in a dilapidated stadium, despite the winning.  That will change when their new palace opens year after next.

The reason (most) people aren't coming to PBS is because of the regime in charge.  Since the team had that post-2010 meltdown, attendance has been down.  Five consecutive playoff losses haven't helped.  All of which predates any of the perceived issues with today's NFL.  Talking to coworkers who had endzone seats but gave them up before the 2017 season, their reason for finally throwing in the towel was yet another season of the Mike & Marvin show.  It was just more of the same old same old, and it finally got to be too much for them.  Apparently, some people don't have as high a tolerance level for that as ticket-buying chumps like me.  

I dropped my season tickets in 2008 after having them since 1980, and that's exactly why I did. Not to say I haven't enjoyed a game here and there at PBS since then, but I far more enjoy the games now in front of a big screen, with replay and our game day thread, all in a comfortable environment complete with good food and drinks that don't cost an arm and a leg. Also don't miss the mouthy drunks that seemed to grow in number the last few years I was there. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I personally don't post much. I'm on here daily though, reading fans' thoughts and I thoroughly enjoy my time spent reading posts here. But I stay out of gameday threads. I'm one of those who overreacts when the shit starts rolling downhill. I know I shouldn't, I even tell myself this..but from decades of "we suck" lows to "get my hopes up just to punch me in the throat again" highs, its like I have been conditioned to expect the other shoe to drop when it comes to this team. So, knowing how I am and how Mike Brown's Bengals get me riled up, I don't want to post something I can go back and read later and say "Wow..I looked like a complete idiot there. Can we delete that?"
Reply/Quote
It was very emotional on the players too. It went from somber for 3 quarters bench to electric by games end.

When MJ got his TD, Mixon went from standing there to a human pogo stick jumping up and down along sideline for 25 yards turning into a cheerleader. Has good hops by the way.

Then after Hubbards TD, Dalton, AJ. and Mixon all came down to the defensive end of bench and each shook the hands and thanked each defensive player.

Have never seen that before in all the years I have been going.

This team believes in each other, and I believe in them.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 12:13 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: With the exception of LA, we're the worse in percentage of seats sold, and number of seats sold, according to this: http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance

THe problem with LA is they keep bouncing teams around there. How can you keep loyalty or alliance to a team when you know in a couple years it won't be there. I hate when the NFL bounces teams from city to city, they should just end the team there and start a brand new or rebrand it completely when they move. 

The colts should have always stayed as colts in Baltimore, the Cards should be still in St louis and the Rams & Raiders in LA. Phoenix should have gotten a new team brand/logo, etc.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 11:54 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Well since jn WAS open doesnt that blow the theory away that there would be 99 new threads?

Not exactly.  Most are accustomed to JN being closed during games, and had not realized that it was left open.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 12:03 PM)3wt Wrote: My guess it's more an economic problem than an ideological one.   I have strong feelings on the subject, but if I had the money I'd be there every  game.    Love being down there.

I would too, but that doesn't negate the fact that a lot of people aren't going because of it. All you have to do is listen to conversations and hear the number of people who say they are done with the NFL.... they're moving on to soccer....
Reply/Quote
Well I talked to my wife, and I think we're going to pick up 2 tickets to the Bucs game. We had a blast yesterday, and we are still undefeated when I have gone to a game. Just hope it doesn't break our budget. lol
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 01:40 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Well I talked to my wife, and I think we're going to pick up 2 tickets to the Bucs game.  We had a blast yesterday, and we are still undefeated when I have gone to a game.  Just hope it doesn't break our budget.  lol

Hmmm.... sounds like a covert way to get free tickets.... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 01:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I would too, but that doesn't negate the fact that a lot of people aren't going because of it. All you have to do is listen to conversations and hear the number of people who say they are done with the NFL.... they're moving on to soccer....

No one is leaving football for soccer.

TV viewership is down, but TV viewership of EVERYTHING is down.

In the general public some people claim they no longer like the NFL because of the flag controversy, but very few of those people liked the NFL in the first place.

NFL revenue has increased every year and almost doubled from $8 million just 8 years ago in 2010 to $14 billion last year.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 01:40 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Well I talked to my wife, and I think we're going to pick up 2 tickets to the Bucs game.  We had a blast yesterday, and we are still undefeated when I have gone to a game.  Just hope it doesn't break our budget.  lol

Damn the budget, man!  Between Grampahol's fishing and you're going to home games, that's why we're in first place!
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 02:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No one is leaving football for soccer.

TV viewership is down, but TV viewership of EVERYTHING is down.

In the general public some people claim they no longer like the NFL because of the flag controversy, but very few of those people liked the NFL in the first place.

NFL revenue has increased every year and almost doubled from $8 million just 8 years ago in 2010 to $14 billion last year.

I'm no math wiz but that's way more than doubling. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 08:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Same here, I posted in the "Early kudos to the OL" thread.  

On one hand, I like to be able to post in threads posted previous to the game.  However, we really don't need 99 new threads to contend with, just because of knee-jerk reaction to something that just happened, like a missed block/tackle/bad call/non call/dropped ball/turnover, etc.

Yeah, I could see it now. After 1 drive, the I'm done, So & So's got to go, the NFL is fixed, Mike Brown needs to die, etc. threads would consume the entire from page.  Whatever

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 11:53 PM)motoarch Wrote: I don’t read game day thread anymore.

Yeah, i used to go on for updates if i couldn't watch the game but it is no use. The moment we don't get a first down
the GDT blows up and the world is lost. Just not based on reality. No team is perfect, no, not even the Patriots.
Reply/Quote