Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The tale of two halves!
So, as a lot of you know the Bengals offense has been plagued having played better in the first half then the second half.

I've been trying to figure out what would be the biggest factor in all of this. Is it playcalling? Is it Dalton? Is it the running game? Is it halftime adjustments?

What's plaguing the Bengals offense?

I decided to look at the running game, but the running game has remained consistent throughout each half.

The Bengals have 82 rushes for 358 yards, at 4.4 yards a carry and 5 TD's in the first half and 87 rushes for 384 yards, at 4.4 yards per carry and 2 TD's in the 2nd half.

So, the running game has remained consistent. Although the Bengals would surely have more yards if not for injuries to Mixon and Bernard this year.

Just through observation the game calling has remained consistent for the most part throughout the games.

Now, you could surmise that maybe we need to shake things up a little bit more in the second half. I think that is at least a fair criticism.

However, the most overwhelming reason for the second half struggles? Has been the passing game, but the culprit isn't necessarily the play of Dalton.

It's the offensive lines play.

Dalton has received his best protection in the 2nd quarter overall this year and his numbers are quite literally outstanding!

In 2nd quarter play this season Dalton is 60 of 88, good for a 68.2 completion percentage, for 602 yards and 9 TD's. He has a QB rating of 121.5 and has thrown zero interceptions.

Dalton has only been sacked 3 times in the first half of games this season. He's been sacked 13 times in the second half, meaning he is 4 times more likely to get sacked and hit in the second half then during the first half.

In 2nd half play Dalton is 85 of 137, good for 62 completion percentage, for 779 yards. He's thrown 4 TD's and 5 interceptions for a QB rating of 72.0.

Surprisingly, Dalton has been able to achieve most of his 2nd half yards late in the 4th quarter when the team has had to have them. Despite the fact that the offense has looked anemic, at times, to those points in the 2nd half.

The offense line has been much improved, but they have lacked discipline at times this year. They have had a number of costly penalties in the 2nd half and have put the offense in 3rd and long situations.

Obviously, they aren't to blame alone. However, I feel that this is the biggest factor in the Cincinnati Bengals becoming more consistent on offense in the 2nd half of this season.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 05:29 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: So, as a lot of you know the Bengals offense has been plagued by playing better in the first half then the second half.

I've been trying to figure out what would be the biggest factor in all of this. Is it playcalling? Is it Dalton? Is it the running game? Is it halftime adjustments?

I decided to look at the running game, but the running game has remained consistent throughout each half.

The Bengals have 82 rushes for 358 yards, at 4.4 yards a carry and 5 TD's in the first half and 87 rushes for 384 yards, at 4.4 yards per carry and 2 TD's.

So, the running game has remained consistent. Although the Bengals would surely have more yards if not for injuries to Mixon and Bernard this year.

Just through observation the game calling has remained consistent for the most part throughout the games.

Now, who could surmise that maybe we need to shake things up a little bit more in the second half. I think that is at least a fair criticism.

However, the most overwhelming reason for the second half struggles? Has been the passing game, but the culprit isn't the necessarily the play of Dalton.

Dalton has received his best protection in the 2nd quarter overall this year and his numbers are quite literally outstanding!

In the 2nd quarter Dalton is 60 of 88, good for a 68.2 completion percentage, for 602 yards and 9 TD's. He has a QB rating of 121.5 and has thrown zero interceptions.

Dalton has only been sacked 3 times in the first half of games this season. He's been sacked 13 times in the second half, meaning he is 4 times more likely to get sacked and hit in the second half then during the first half.

Dalton is 85 of 137, good for 62 completion percentage, for 779 yards. He's thrown 4 TD's and 5 interceptions for a QB rating of 72.0.

Surprisingly, Dalton has been able to achieve most of his 2nd half yards late in the 4th quarter when the team has had to have them. Despite the fact that the offense has looked anemic, at times, to those points in the 2nd half.

The offense line has been much improved, but they have lacked discipline at times this year. They have had a number of costly penalties in the 2nd half and have put the offense in 3rd and long situations.

Obviously, they aren't to blame alone. However, I feel that this is the biggest factor in the Cincinnati Bengals becoming more consistent on offense in the 2nd half of this season.

Alex Redmond has been a nightmare in pass protection. Given up the most pressures in the league IIRC.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 05:29 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: So, as a lot of you know the Bengals offense has been plagued having played better in the first half then the second half.

The Bengals have 82 rushes for 358 yards, at 4.4 yards a carry and 5 TD's in the first half and 87 rushes for 384 yards, at 4.4 yards per carry and 2 TD's in the 2nd half.

Now, you could surmise that maybe we need to shake things up a little bit more in the second half. I think that is at least a fair criticism.

However, the most overwhelming reason for the second half struggles? Has been the passing game, but the culprit isn't necessarily the play of Dalton.

In 2nd quarter play this season Dalton is 60 of 88, good for a 68.2 completion percentage, for 602 yards and 9 TD's. He has a QB rating of 121.5 and has thrown zero interceptions.

In 2nd half play Dalton is 85 of 137, good for 62 completion percentage, for 779 yards. He's thrown 4 TD's and 5 interceptions for a QB rating of 72.0.

This running game is badly skewed......Yes, nobody averages 4.5 to 5 ypg on "every" carry in this league but I'd bet there's not another team in the NFL that has their RB's dropped for more losses than this team..They never ever can get that extra yard or two on a running down when everybody knows they're running or even on 3rd/4th and short yardage or very very rarely do they. This OL gets pushed backwards a ridiculous amount of times..
Reply/Quote
It tells me Lazor is just not a good ingame play caller. Our offense is good pregame and during the first half when alot of it is scripted but once the defense adjusts he doesn't know what to do.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 07:26 PM)Sweetness Wrote: It tells me Lazor is just not a good ingame play caller. Our offense is good pregame and during the first half when alot of it is scripted but once the defense adjusts he doesn't know what to do.

Then how are we able to come back and win in the fourth quarter so often?
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 05:29 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: So, as a lot of you know the Bengals offense has been plagued having played better in the first half then the second half.

The offense overall has not clicked as well since we Lost Eiffert, Ross, Mixon, then Gio.... now we have AJ down...I do think if Mixon and Gio can be healthy together and just Ross risk over the top will help open the offense up some.. we will need all hands on deck with AJ out.. on the positive the line has been improving especially in pass blocking since first 2 games from my perspective and stats
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 07:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then how are we able to come back and win in the fourth quarter so often?

Because it's a completely different way of calling an offense. Come on Fred. I know you're smarter than that question. 
Reply/Quote