Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The time when being self employed stinks.....tax time.
2015 was the first year i was entirely self employed.

I had made estimated tax payments throughout the year, but still ended up having to pay more when I filed my 2015 taxes.

In the past I adjusted my withholding to make sure that I did not get a large tax rebate, but it was always nice to get a few hundred dollars back even if it was my own money that I had already earned. Even though I did not have to pay a lot ($455) it still sucks that I had to pay instead of getting a rebate.
Reply/Quote
The CPA that I consult, says that the perfect return is one that shows you owing the FED anything less than $1000.  That way they cannot charge you penalty and interest on your debt.  She says that setting yourself up for a large return is a bad idea, as the government will only earn interest on your money, and not share any of the wealth with you.

So, according to the CPA, you did it right.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 08:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, according to the CPA, you did it right.

Yep, but it gets complicated if you have uneven or irregular earnings, making early estimated payments too low.

I tell you, though...it's a real eye opener when nothing is withheld from your checks and you have to make big quarterly payments INCLUDING the employer's share of FICA.  You feel good about how your bank account has grown, and then BAM! you send a check for 40% of your quarterly earnings to federal and state.....you really feel that pain.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 09:31 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Yep, but it gets complicated if you have uneven or irregular earnings, making early estimated payments too low.

I tell you, though...it's a real eye opener when nothing is withheld from your checks and you have to make big quarterly payments INCLUDING the employer's share of FICA.  You feel good about how your bank account has grown, and then BAM! you send a check for 40% of your quarterly earnings to federal and state.....you really feel that pain.

That is what I miss the least, about no longer being self-employed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Something I sure as hell don't miss.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 08:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 2015 was the first year i was entirely self employed.

I had made estimated tax payments throughout the year, but still ended up having to pay more when I filed my 2015 taxes.

In the past I adjusted my withholding to make sure that I did not get a large tax rebate, but it was always nice to get a few hundred dollars back even if it was my own money that I had already earned.  Even though I did not have to pay a lot ($455) it still sucks that I had to pay instead of getting a rebate.

Don't you have to pay both sides of social security too?  Do you do that with your estimated taxes?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 08:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 2015 was the first year i was entirely self employed.

In the past I adjusted my withholding to make sure that I did not get a large tax rebate, but it was always nice to get a few hundred dollars back even if it was my own money that I had already earned.  Even though I did not have to pay a lot ($455) it still sucks that I had to pay instead of getting a rebate.

(04-18-2016, 09:31 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Yep, but it gets complicated if you have uneven or irregular earnings, making early estimated payments too low.

Welcome to my yearly nightmare!

I have been self-employed for about 23 years. I put the business into an LLC and file Schedule C, which has helped a bit. But you don't dare miss the quarterly SS payments!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
BTW- You should have entitled this thread as "Being an Adult Sucks: Part 2"! ThumbsUp
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote