Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The top 5 teams
Right now, who would you say are the top 5 overall teams in the NFL?  There is a follow up question to this related to the Bengals, so this isn't for "around the league".

Here are my top 5:

Arizona Cardinals-  Maybe they caught the Rams at a good time, coming off a huge emotional win over Tampa.  They are the only undefeated team in the league, and Murray is being mentioned as a possible MVP.  While they should have lost on a missed 28 yard FGA by Minnesota, and they were trailing against Jax in the 4th quarter, they still won those games.  

Buffalo Bills-  Aside from a week 1 debacle that included a blocked punt for a TD, they have mauled their last three opponents.  Then again, when those opponents are Miami, Washington, and Houston, you should maul them.  They will show a lot if they can beast KC on the road this weekend.  As pathetic as KC's defense has been, take the over.  

Cleveland Browns-  I know, it was an unconvincing win in Minnesota, but they did win the game and their offense can beat you with the run or pass, no one has stopped both yet.  Their defense is looking really good as well.  Kareem Hunt is averaging something like over 6 YPC.  Insane.  We may not like them (I really only hate pitt, and Baker has dialed down the doucheiness) but they are a legitimate team.

LA Rams-  I won't kill them for a lapse in effort against the Cards.  Perfect timing for AZ, and perfect storm for LA.  They are still very tough defensively and have a veteran squad and great coaches.  

Green Bay Packers-  Much like the Bills, a week 1 debacle is overshadowed by a big road win against SF (but how good are the 49ers really?) and they beat up on Detroit and the steelers.  

Outside looking in:  

Tampa Bay:  Their offense is still loaded but a TON of injuries on their defense has left them very suspect.
Dallas Cowboys:  I am probably in the minority that believes in this team.  I don't like Dallas, but they are very balanced on offense, and their defense has been surprisingly good.  
LA Chargers:  That win over a previously undefeated Raiders team has to put them up here.  
KC Chiefs:  Their defense has been awful, but I think they are just relying on Mahommes and will step up when needed.  They could easily have been 1-3 if the punter for the Browns doesn't fumble a snap that hit him between the numbers).  
Baltimore:  Defense looked better this week, but has been very suspect and offense is very one-dimensional.  

Ok, how does this relate to the Bengals?  Well, of all the teams I have listed there, five of the teams are in the AFC.  Of course, there are going to be division winners that get a playoff spot, but I don't think any of us see more than one playoff team coming from the AFC South or AFC East, so figure that four of the other guaranteed spots will go to Buffalo, LA Chargers, Cleveland (just for arguments sake), and Tennessee, that leaves three playoff spots to fight for between the Chiefs, Ravens, Raiders, Broncos, and, yes, the Bengals.  

Does anyone really think Denver is a more legitimate playoff contender than Cincy?  They are going to lose this weekend at pitt (who is favored by 1....I love betting on pitt when all they have to do is win.  I am thrilled if I lose money, and if they win at least I got money out of it...I'm not right).   They still have two games each against KC, the Raiders, and Chargers.  They also have to go to Cleveland, Dallas, and host the Bengals.  

What about the Raiders?  They also have KC twice, the Chargers once more, and Dallas.  They do have probably the easiest non-division schedule, though, playing the NFC Least.  Chicago could do us a favor and knock them off this weekend.  

Baltimore.  They still have Cleveland twice, Green Bay, the Rams, and the Chargers.  It would be really cool if Indy could knock them out on MNF this week.  I have a feeling they actually might.  

KC is almost certainly going to be one of those teams, or even rise up and win their division, but that doesn't change the fact that there will still be two spots outside of them available to the aforementioned Broncos, Raiders, and Ravens.

I see this as a pretty clear path:  It is going to come down to the head to head battles.  If they finish with the same record as the Raiders, but beat them head-to-head, they are in.  Denver isn't going to make it.  Sorry, they just aren't.  The Ravens are probably the most likely, but the Bengals have two head-to-head chances against them.  Maybe even the pathetic steelers can steal one from the Ravens since they do have a good run defense (typically, when healthy).  

Does anyone think there is another team that could be in contention for those wild card spots?  I see it as a three team race for the final two spots:  Ravens, Raiders, and Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 01:00 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Right now, who would you say are the top 5 overall teams in the NFL?  There is a follow up question to this related to the Bengals, so this isn't for "around the league".

Here are my top 5:

Arizona Cardinals-  Maybe they caught the Rams at a good time, coming off a huge emotional win over Tampa.  They are the only undefeated team in the league, and Murray is being mentioned as a possible MVP.  While they should have lost on a missed 28 yard FGA by Minnesota, and they were trailing against Jax in the 4th quarter, they still won those games.  

Buffalo Bills-  Aside from a week 1 debacle that included a blocked punt for a TD, they have mauled their last three opponents.  Then again, when those opponents are Miami, Washington, and Houston, you should maul them.  They will show a lot if they can beast KC on the road this weekend.  As pathetic as KC's defense has been, take the over.  

Cleveland Browns-  I know, it was an unconvincing win in Minnesota, but they did win the game and their offense can beat you with the run or pass, no one has stopped both yet.  Their defense is looking really good as well.  Kareem Hunt is averaging something like over 6 YPC.  Insane.  We may not like them (I really only hate pitt, and Baker has dialed down the doucheiness) but they are a legitimate team.

LA Rams-  I won't kill them for a lapse in effort against the Cards.  Perfect timing for AZ, and perfect storm for LA.  They are still very tough defensively and have a veteran squad and great coaches.  

Green Bay Packers-  Much like the Bills, a week 1 debacle is overshadowed by a big road win against SF (but how good are the 49ers really?) and they beat up on Detroit and the steelers.  

Outside looking in:  

Tampa Bay:  Their offense is still loaded but a TON of injuries on their defense has left them very suspect.
Dallas Cowboys:  I am probably in the minority that believes in this team.  I don't like Dallas, but they are very balanced on offense, and their defense has been surprisingly good.  
LA Chargers:  That win over a previously undefeated Raiders team has to put them up here.  
KC Chiefs:  Their defense has been awful, but I think they are just relying on Mahommes and will step up when needed.  They could easily have been 1-3 if the punter for the Browns doesn't fumble a snap that hit him between the numbers).  
Baltimore:  Defense looked better this week, but has been very suspect and offense is very one-dimensional.  

Ok, how does this relate to the Bengals?  Well, of all the teams I have listed there, five of the teams are in the AFC.  Of course, there are going to be division winners that get a playoff spot, but I don't think any of us see more than one playoff team coming from the AFC South or AFC East, so figure that four of the other guaranteed spots will go to Buffalo, LA Chargers, Cleveland (just for arguments sake), and Tennessee, that leaves three playoff spots to fight for between the Chiefs, Ravens, Raiders, Broncos, and, yes, the Bengals.  

Does anyone really think Denver is a more legitimate playoff contender than Cincy?  They are going to lose this weekend at pitt (who is favored by 1....I love betting on pitt when all they have to do is win.  I am thrilled if I lose money, and if they win at least I got money out of it...I'm not right).   They still have two games each against KC, the Raiders, and Chargers.  They also have to go to Cleveland, Dallas, and host the Bengals.  

What about the Raiders?  They also have KC twice, the Chargers once more, and Dallas.  They do have probably the easiest non-division schedule, though, playing the NFC Least.  Chicago could do us a favor and knock them off this weekend.  

Baltimore.  They still have Cleveland twice, Green Bay, the Rams, and the Chargers.  It would be really cool if Indy could knock them out on MNF this week.  I have a feeling they actually might.  

KC is almost certainly going to be one of those teams, or even rise up and win their division, but that doesn't change the fact that there will still be two spots outside of them available to the aforementioned Broncos, Raiders, and Ravens.

I see this as a pretty clear path:  It is going to come down to the head to head battles.  If they finish with the same record as the Raiders, but beat them head-to-head, they are in.  Denver isn't going to make it.  Sorry, they just aren't.  The Ravens are probably the most likely, but the Bengals have two head-to-head chances against them.  Maybe even the pathetic steelers can steal one from the Ravens since they do have a good run defense (typically, when healthy).  

Does anyone think there is another team that could be in contention for those wild card spots?  I see it as a three team race for the final two spots:  Ravens, Raiders, and Bengals.

Nice thread SHRacer. I see it pretty close to what you see. Although I do think the Broncos beat on the Stealers this 
weekend as I like the Broncos Defense. One thing to take notice of is that we played the Browns right down to the last
part of the game in both games and we are arguably a WAY better team than last year. I think the Browns are better 
too but haven't made the improvement we have and our Offense will only get better as the year goes on.

The Browns might not even win the Division and we are tied with them right now. Doubt Lamar lasts all season either
as Sled mentioned in another thread and Sled is a big Lamar fan. I think Raiders and Bengals sneak in and we might 
even get a spot at Home if we can split with the Browns and Ravens and sweep the Steelers and just keep improving.

Health will be key in all of this though. Need to stay healthy in the trenches most notably.
Reply/Quote
Struggling to pick a fifth team. The following four are obvious based on the first four weeks:

Bills
Cardinals
Chargers
Rams
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
MANDATORY REPLY

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Both the Rats and the Stains have had more than their share of good luck so far.

The Rats only beat KC because their RB had an unforced fumble when all he was doing as running to eat clock to set up a GWFG. And lest we forget the blatant, uncalled delay of game that made their GWFG against the Lions possible. So they are an unforced screwup and a BAD ref blunder from 1-3.

In a similar vein the Stains only beat MIN because of a phantom PI called on fourth down in the 1 - without the refs take 8 points off of the Browns score and they lose.

The point is they are not winning convincingly but rather getting help from unforced errors and the refs.
Reply/Quote
By SRS, I have…

Bills
Cardinals
Cowboys
Chargers
Browns
Reply/Quote
I have my top 5..
Bengals
Bengals
Bengals
Bengals
and finally...
Bengals
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Top 5 as of now
1.) Cardinals
2.) Cowboys
3.) Browns
4.) Buccaneers
5.) Chiefs
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Im not ready to think about this yet.

I know how volatile this forum can get and if Green Bay wins this weekend I can see people giving up on the season despite the fact that there is still a long way to go.

I can see some teams with winning records falling off (Denver) while teams with losing records rise (KC). It's just too early, especially now that the season is 17 games long.

Ask again during the bi week.
Reply/Quote
Top 5:
Cardinals
Bills
Rams
Cowboys
Chargers

(Weird to make a Top-5 team list and not have Brady, Rodgers, or Mahomes. All three should make the playoffs, though. First two by winning division, third by wildcard is my guess.)

- - - - - -

I don't believe in Derek Carr, so I don't believe in the Raiders.

Lamar Jackson has been throwing it more finally and, surprise, it had led to more INTs, more Fumbles, worse completion %, and a subpar QB Rating. If they can't rely heavily on the run game, I don't know if the Ravens will hold up throughout the season relying on Lamar Jackson's arm. He is on pace for 179 carries and 47 sacks.

Not sure what to believe about the Broncos. I think I actually buy into them more than the Raiders and Ravens so long as Bridgewater's concussion isn't a bit issue. Drew Lock at QB is enough to sink a season. Lol

Can't imagine the Chiefs defense stays that bad. They don't even need to be good, just mediocre and the offense will carry them. I do think the Chargers will win that division though.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 04:52 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Struggling to pick a fifth team. The following four are obvious based on the first four weeks:

Bills
Cardinals
Chargers
Rams

Yerp. These are the top 4, and it’s clear, in my opinion.

With the 5th I’d probably go Packers or Browns. Maybe Cowboys. Maybe Bucs.

This may all change this week though…it’s hard to fully judge a team after only 4 games.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 06:02 PM)J24 Wrote: Top 5 as of now
1.) Cardinals
2.) Cowboys
3.) Browns
4.) Buccaneers
5.) Chiefs

With that being there are a couple of teams that can win a title outside of this group of 5.
1.). Chargers
2.)Rams
3.)Bills
4.)Ravens 
5.) Panthers
6.)Packers
7.) Seahawks
 What it means for the Bengals- we're a solid to good team right now. My biggest concern right now with us( and what separates us from those 12 teams) isi do not know if we have a superstar pass rusher on the team.
Offensively I think we match up well against any team though especially at the  QB
position.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Cardinals
Chargers (Herbert is the real deal)
Chiefs
Bills
Ravens

They are my top Five.. second tier would be Rams, Browns, Raiders, Cowboys, Tampa Bay
Reply/Quote
Beat the Packers and I think we make a solid case for top 10!
Reply/Quote
Not doing a top 5 but in answer to the playoff question. Bills, Browns, someone from the South probably the Titans and then the Chargers from the west win divisions.

Next you have Baltimore and Chiefs as Wild Cards. So 6 spots are taken that leaves one spot for the Bengals, Raiders, Broncos and a random dark horse that gets hot, do the Dolphins or Pats get hot, maybe the Colts?

Is there a path for the Bengals, sure they are 3 and 1 but they are going to be fighting against several teams for the last spot and fighting Denver and the Raiders with both those games on the road is a challenge.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 06:26 PM)J24 Wrote: With that being there are a couple of teams that can win a title outside of this group of 5.
1.). Chargers
2.)Rams
3.)Bills
4.)Ravens 
5.) Panthers
6.)Packers
7.) Seahawks
 What it means for the Bengals- we're a solid to good team right now. My biggest concern right now with us( and what separates us from those 12 teams) isi do not know if we have a superstar pass rusher on the team.
Offensively I think we match up well against any team though especially at the  QB
position.

That is a really good point.  Right now, statistically, that player is Hendrickson, as he has a great deal of pressures but not a ton of sacks (I think two negated by penalties), but still, I can't imagine how different it would look if Ossai was assassinating guys on passing downs.  Still, I like the depth of Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ray, and Sample.  I am a little disappointed Hodge hasn't gotten a few more snaps. 
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 04:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice thread SHRacer. I see it pretty close to what you see. Although I do think the Broncos beat on the Stealers this 
weekend as I like the Broncos Defense
. One thing to take notice of is that we played the Browns right down to the last
part of the game in both games and we are arguably a WAY better team than last year. I think the Browns are better 
too but haven't made the improvement we have and our Offense will only get better as the year goes on.

The Browns might not even win the Division and we are tied with them right now. Doubt Lamar lasts all season either
as Sled mentioned in another thread and Sled is a big Lamar fan. I think Raiders and Bengals sneak in and we might 
even get a spot at Home if we can split with the Browns and Ravens and sweep the Steelers and just keep improving.

Health will be key in all of this though. Need to stay healthy in the trenches most notably.

As much as I hate them and I have said previously that I actually like betting on pitt to win when they are even line or underdogs, because I am happy as a clam if I lose.  But if they win then at least I get some more play money out of it.  They will pound Denver at home this weekend.  

While this GB game would open a lot of eyes across this league if they pull out a win, you are dead on about the Browns.  The rush defense this year vs. last year shouldn't even be allowed to be mentioned on the same message board.  They are that improved.  And if they can keep Cleveland's rush game in check that also bodes well for the two games against the Ratbirds.  
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 06:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: As much as I hate them and I have said previously that I actually like betting on pitt to win when they are even line or underdogs, because I am happy as a clam if I lose.  But if they win then at least I get some more play money out of it.  They will pound Denver at home this weekend.  

While this GB game would open a lot of eyes across this league if they pull out a win, you are dead on about the Browns.  The rush defense this year vs. last year shouldn't even be allowed to be mentioned on the same message board.  They are that improved.  And if they can keep Cleveland's rush game in check that also bodes well for the two games against the Ratbirds.  

Could be right about the Broncos/Pitt game if Teddy cannot go, as TLL said Lock is pretty bad and could make it easy on Pitt if 
he throws a bunch of interceptions. I just like the Broncos Defense if they are somewhat healthy, especially their Secondary.

Yes, the player we will have to watch out for besides the RB's on the Browns is Garrett. Thank God Jonah is playing elite right 
now and Reiff is also a very good pass protector. I think this team matches up well against them. At least if we are healthy.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 06:11 PM)motoarch Wrote: Im not ready to think about this yet.

I know how volatile this forum can get and if Green Bay wins this weekend I can see people giving up on the season despite the fact that there is still a long way to go.

I can see some teams with winning records falling off (Denver) while teams with losing records rise (KC).  It's just too early, especially now that the season is 17 games long.

Ask again during the bi week.

True. The entire franchise was a farce 15 minutes into the Jaguars game, after all. 
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 01:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Could be right about the Broncos/Pitt game if Teddy cannot go, as TLL said Lock is pretty bad and could make it easy on Pitt if 
he throws a bunch of interceptions. I just like the Broncos Defense if they are somewhat healthy, especially their Secondary.

Yes, the player we will have to watch out for besides the RB's on the Browns is Garrett. Thank God Jonah is playing elite right 
now and Reiff is also a very good pass protector. I think this team matches up well against them. At least if we are healthy.

Split with Browns and Rats, sweep pitt, that's 4-2 in the division.  I would take that.  
Reply/Quote