Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The top 5 teams
(10-07-2021, 06:11 PM)motoarch Wrote: Ask again during the bi week.

Hey, it was college. I was drunk.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 01:00 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Right now, who would you say are the top 5 overall teams in the NFL?  There is a follow up question to this related to the Bengals, so this isn't for "around the league".

Here are my top 5:

Arizona Cardinals-  Maybe they caught the Rams at a good time, coming off a huge emotional win over Tampa.  They are the only undefeated team in the league, and Murray is being mentioned as a possible MVP.  While they should have lost on a missed 28 yard FGA by Minnesota, and they were trailing against Jax in the 4th quarter, they still won those games.  

Buffalo Bills-  Aside from a week 1 debacle that included a blocked punt for a TD, they have mauled their last three opponents.  Then again, when those opponents are Miami, Washington, and Houston, you should maul them.  They will show a lot if they can beast KC on the road this weekend.  As pathetic as KC's defense has been, take the over.  

Cleveland Browns-  I know, it was an unconvincing win in Minnesota, but they did win the game and their offense can beat you with the run or pass, no one has stopped both yet.  Their defense is looking really good as well.  Kareem Hunt is averaging something like over 6 YPC.  Insane.  We may not like them (I really only hate pitt, and Baker has dialed down the doucheiness) but they are a legitimate team.

LA Rams-  I won't kill them for a lapse in effort against the Cards.  Perfect timing for AZ, and perfect storm for LA.  They are still very tough defensively and have a veteran squad and great coaches.  

Green Bay Packers-  Much like the Bills, a week 1 debacle is overshadowed by a big road win against SF (but how good are the 49ers really?) and they beat up on Detroit and the steelers.  

Outside looking in:  

Tampa Bay:  Their offense is still loaded but a TON of injuries on their defense has left them very suspect.
Dallas Cowboys:  I am probably in the minority that believes in this team.  I don't like Dallas, but they are very balanced on offense, and their defense has been surprisingly good.  
LA Chargers:  That win over a previously undefeated Raiders team has to put them up here.  
KC Chiefs:  Their defense has been awful, but I think they are just relying on Mahommes and will step up when needed.  They could easily have been 1-3 if the punter for the Browns doesn't fumble a snap that hit him between the numbers).  
Baltimore:  Defense looked better this week, but has been very suspect and offense is very one-dimensional.  

Ok, how does this relate to the Bengals?  Well, of all the teams I have listed there, five of the teams are in the AFC.  Of course, there are going to be division winners that get a playoff spot, but I don't think any of us see more than one playoff team coming from the AFC South or AFC East, so figure that four of the other guaranteed spots will go to Buffalo, LA Chargers, Cleveland (just for arguments sake), and Tennessee, that leaves three playoff spots to fight for between the Chiefs, Ravens, Raiders, Broncos, and, yes, the Bengals.  

Does anyone really think Denver is a more legitimate playoff contender than Cincy?  They are going to lose this weekend at pitt (who is favored by 1....I love betting on pitt when all they have to do is win.  I am thrilled if I lose money, and if they win at least I got money out of it...I'm not right).   They still have two games each against KC, the Raiders, and Chargers.  They also have to go to Cleveland, Dallas, and host the Bengals.  

What about the Raiders?  They also have KC twice, the Chargers once more, and Dallas.  They do have probably the easiest non-division schedule, though, playing the NFC Least.  Chicago could do us a favor and knock them off this weekend.  

Baltimore.  They still have Cleveland twice, Green Bay, the Rams, and the Chargers.  It would be really cool if Indy could knock them out on MNF this week.  I have a feeling they actually might.  

KC is almost certainly going to be one of those teams, or even rise up and win their division, but that doesn't change the fact that there will still be two spots outside of them available to the aforementioned Broncos, Raiders, and Ravens.

I see this as a pretty clear path:  It is going to come down to the head to head battles.  If they finish with the same record as the Raiders, but beat them head-to-head, they are in.  Denver isn't going to make it.  Sorry, they just aren't.  The Ravens are probably the most likely, but the Bengals have two head-to-head chances against them.  Maybe even the pathetic steelers can steal one from the Ravens since they do have a good run defense (typically, when healthy).  

Does anyone think there is another team that could be in contention for those wild card spots?  I see it as a three team race for the final two spots:  Ravens, Raiders, and Bengals.

At the moment the Bengals are in line for a playoff spot, but with 13 games left and a double round games against Cleveland and Baltimore, another 4 against the AFC West then the Packers and 49ers games. The Bengals will need to make a good showing in those 10 game if they want in.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2021, 12:13 AM)BengalChris Wrote: At the moment the Bengals are in line for a playoff spot, but with 13 games left and a double round games against Cleveland and Baltimore, another 4 against the AFC West then the Packers and 49ers games. The Bengals will need to make a good showing in those 10 game if they want in.

Of course, but I was just trying to provide a bit of a 30,000 foot view of who is making a good showing now.  Only team I could really see rising up is Indy, and all they would do is knock out Tennessee, most likely.  Maybe I am not giving enough credit to the Pats and Dolphins, but I see those other teams (KC, Raiders) above them.  
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 10:48 PM)Whacked Wrote: Beat the Packers and I think we make a solid case for top 10!

yes...I would think that would have to put them in the conversation.
Reply/Quote