Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for New Coaches
I thought this was an interesting article.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024907/article/veteran-nfl-head-coaches-offer-advice-for-rookie-counterparts

This paragraph was particularly telling considering Zac's own adventures in the assistant coach hiring process.  An maybe a reminder that it can be challenging for every new coach

"You sit there and talk about all the guys that you've talked to who said, 'Oh, yeah, I'd love to come with you,' " (Ron) Rivera said recently. "But they either want more money than you thought initially because now they know you really want them, or they've lined themselves up with somebody else and may have taken that job, and now you're out there thinking, I've got to find a guy."

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 11:55 AM)pally Wrote: I thought this was an interesting article.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024907/article/veteran-nfl-head-coaches-offer-advice-for-rookie-counterparts

This paragraph was particularly telling considering Zac's own adventures in the assistant coach hiring process.  An maybe a reminder that it can be challenging for every new coach

"You sit there and talk about all the guys that you've talked to who said, 'Oh, yeah, I'd love to come with you,' " (Ron) Rivera said recently. "But they either want more money than you thought initially because now they know you really want them, or they've lined themselves up with somebody else and may have taken that job, and now you're out there thinking, I've got to find a guy."

I believe there is a lot of truth in that. I suppose, I was one of the few that didn't mind waiting a bit for ZT to find who he thought would be right for for him. I firmly believe that your staff has to be on the same page and know who is in charge. I have no facts to back up my next statement,  just a hunch, that Del Rio's ego would have caused turmoil.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 12:05 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I believe there is a lot of truth in that. I suppose, I was one of the few that didn't mind waiting a bit for ZT to find who he thought would be right for for him. I firmly believe that your staff has to be on the same page and know who is in charge. I have no facts to back up my next statement,  just a hunch, that Del Rio's ego would have caused turmoil.

Believe the same, Del Rio also might of wanted too much money as Rivera kind of alluded to which can botch things up.

I wanted Del Rio but he would of had to of fit in. I like that Zac got coaches he is familiar and comfortable with.

We are all just impatient Bengal fans and that is why we were freaking out on the DC and LB coach wait. In the end i like who Zac picked, especially Tem the Linebacker coach who i think might just be the most underrated hire. This guy has a fine resume and is replacing a coach who was just plain terrible here and was a big reason why Linebacker was our biggest weakness last year by far.

I don't think our Linebackers are lacking in talent like crazy and we just need to add one good LB, maybe two for Tem to work with and we should be muchly improved from last season.

Coaching is a big deal and i believe was our biggest problem here.
Reply/Quote
So Mike Brown told him how much money he could offer coaches?

Or Mike (or whoever is running things now) had a set salary that they would have to coach under?

Seems like the old way of us being tight asses and I thought we had somewhat moved on from that (at least in paying coaches and players but I realize there's still things like poor medical staff, equipment, no indoor practice facility, etc.).

Makes me kind of mad, but it sounds like we came away with a solid coaching staff, so it's not that bad.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 02:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: So Mike Brown told him how much money he could offer coaches?

Or Mike (or whoever is running things now) had a set salary that they would have to coach under?

Seems like the old way of us being tight asses and I thought we had somewhat moved on from that (at least in paying coaches and players but I realize there's still things like poor medical staff, equipment, no indoor practice facility, etc.).

Makes me kind of mad, but it sounds like we came away with a solid coaching staff, so it's not that bad.

why be mad over things you are just speculating about?

we have more coaches than ever before? you think they did that without spending more?
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 02:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: So Mike Brown told him how much money he could offer coaches?

Makes me kind of mad, but it sounds like we came away with a solid coaching staff, so it's not that bad
Riveria used a general money issue as a reason a plan may fall apart and you immediately assume that happened because the Bengals were tight-fisted?  That's a bit of a stretch.  Every team has a budget for coaches and yeah it is possible that JDR wanted way too much though I suspect that personality issues had more to do with the non-hire than money.  I still think Dennis Allen was Zac's personal first choice, not Del Rio and Allen very well said he was interested when he was a free agent then backed out when offered a new contract to stay where he was.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

I wouldn't assume there will be some sweeping philosophical change among management just because we hired a new HC.

Many of the ways they run the team will stay the same. A coach doesn't impact those things.

A coach is more a Tactical Leader. Management is Strategic.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 01:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Believe the same, Del Rio also might of wanted too much money as Rivera kind of alluded to which can botch things up.

I wanted Del Rio but he would of had to of fit in. I like that Zac got coaches he is familiar and comfortable with.

We are all just impatient Bengal fans and that is why we were freaking out on the DC and LB coach wait. In the end i like who Zac picked, especially Tem the Linebacker coach who i think might just be the most underrated hire. This guy has a fine resume and is replacing a coach who was just plain terrible here and was a big reason why Linebacker was our biggest weakness last year by far.

I don't think our Linebackers are lacking in talent like crazy and we just need to add one good LB, maybe two for Tem to work with and we should be muchly improved from last season.

Coaching is a big deal and i believe was our biggest problem here.

As to Del Rio, why didn't his buddy Marvin hire him when he had two chances to while we had an opening and Del Rio was unemployed?  Does anybody but me think that speaks volumes?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 06:29 PM)McC Wrote: As to Del Rio, why didn't his buddy Marvin hire him when he had two chances to while we had an opening and Del Rio was unemployed?  Does anybody but me think that speaks volumes?

Another thing that speaks volumes is Del Rio is still sitting at home and isn't a coach anywhere.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 06:37 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Another thing that speaks volumes is Del Rio is still sitting at home and isn't a coach anywhere.

Exactly.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

I actually see it opposite , I believe we have the largest staff ever and let coaches go under contract so we went away from the cheap label....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 06:37 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Another thing that speaks volumes is Del Rio is still sitting at home and isn't a coach anywhere.

Good point. I wanted him but your right.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 07:06 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I actually see it opposite , I believe we have the largest staff ever and let coaches go under contract so we went away from the cheap label....

The cheap label will be tough to overcome. Many board members, in several threads, have laid out several examples of how that’s not the case in recent years. However, it doesn’t erase the many years MB was the cheap ass. It will take a lot to overcome that for him. TBH, people always remember the bad and easily forget the good. Not sure he has enough heartbeats left to equal it out.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 06:29 PM)McC Wrote: As to Del Rio, why didn't his buddy Marvin hire him when he had two chances to while we had an opening and Del Rio was unemployed?  Does anybody but me think that speaks volumes?

Does. Especially when we hired frickin' Haslett instead.

True, true.

(04-03-2019, 07:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: The cheap label will be tough to overcome. Many board members, in several threads, have laid out several examples of how that’s not the case in recent years. However, it doesn’t erase the many years MB was the cheap ass. It will take a lot to overcome that for him. TBH, people always remember the bad and easily forget the good. Not sure he has enough heartbeats left to equal it out.

This is why i try to always do good Harley.
Reply/Quote

I wonder if Mike Brown would ever be willing to start a GoFundMe so he can get more money for his staff. I might be willing to contribute if it guaranteed more scouts lol
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 02:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I wonder if Mike Brown would ever be willing to start a GoFundMe so he can get more money for his staff. I might be willing to contribute if it guaranteed more scouts lol

HELL OF AN IDEA!

lol

If we could get a million Bengals fans to all donate a dollar each, then we could hire five quality scouts, plus maybe a few assistants, and have enough money leftover to cover travel expenses to get to pro-days, small school games, and whatever else!

I love it!
Reply/Quote