Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The truth about free agency
(03-26-2019, 03:33 PM)Bryan Wrote: You're a lawyer Fred, you should know technicalities are important.  Tongue

That is why I am starting over.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 03:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Okay.  You got me.  So let me start over.

In the overwhelming majority of cases a player is not cut if he is earning his salary.

Sucks when people get hung up on a technicality, eh?  Cool

Fine. What do you have to prove your assertion? ..and post #4 doesn't do it for me.

Players being cut before the end of their contract doesn't prove that they were cut because they didn't perform. As different people have said, there are many reasons players are cut. Schemes often change in 3-5 year's time. Sometimes there is a younger cheaper option at that player's position. Sometimes teams get in cap trouble and someone has to go.

I'd bet that players being cut from 3-5 year contracts is just as common for homegrown players as external free agents. That may seem like an odd concept to a Bengals fan, but not all teams are so loyal to their own players.

Like I said, a lot of stuff can change in that amount of time. Sometimes the player gets injured or underperforms. Sometimes there's a new coach that doesn't see the player as a fit, and again, sometimes a younger cheaper option steps up. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 06:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fine. What do you have to prove your assertion?

The fact that dozens of players are cut every year but yoiu could only find 9 examples from the last 30 years where a players was cut while earning his salary.

Anyone who follows the NFL knows that it is rare for a player to get cut when he is earning his salary,
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 12:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The fact that dozens of players are cut every year but yoiu could only find 9 examples from the last 30 years where a players was cut while earning his salary.

Anyone who follows the NFL knows that it is rare for a player to get cut when he is earning his salary,

It takes research and time in order to compile such lists. How many players would I have to list to appease you? 100? 200?

And if I compiled such a list, would you admit you were wrong? Lets be honest, you'd just switch your angle. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 03:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Okay.  You got me.  So let me start over.

In the overwhelming majority of cases a player is not cut if he is earning his salary.

Define this "earning his salary" you speak of and then make it apply to the "overwhelming majority" say 90% of all players cut.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 08:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes it does. Players are not cut if they are earning their pay.

False,
Maybe a new draft pick made them expendable.
Maybe they were just a back up to begin with.
Maybe they didn't work out with the teams scheme.
Maybe a salary cap casualty.
Head Coaching changed and going in new direction.

Lots of reasons Fred, and doesn't mean they are over-paid.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 02:56 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: False,
Maybe a new draft pick made them expendable.
Maybe they were just a back up to begin with.
Maybe they didn't work out with the teams scheme.
Maybe a salary cap casualty.
Head Coaching changed and going in new direction.

Lots of reasons Fred, and doesn't mean they are over-paid.

If they were earning their pay they could be traded.  No team cuts a player when they can trade him instead.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 03:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If they were earning their pay they could be traded.  No team cuts a player when they can trade him instead.

1. What if the player/agent isn't open to being traded?
2. What if teams know the player will be cut eventually? Why trade for him? This happens a LOT.
3. What if teams don't like the structure or length of the contract?

This isn't Madden. Trades are more complicated than you make it seem.
Reply/Quote
Head meet wall. Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 04:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. What if the player/agent isn't open to being traded?

Trade him anyway.

(04-02-2019, 04:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2. What if teams know the player will be cut eventually? Why trade for him? 

You trade for him to make sure you get him.  If he is released he might sign somewhere else.

(04-02-2019, 04:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 3. What if teams don't like the structure or length of the contract?

Since the team agreed to that when they signed him they would only have a problem if he was not earning his money and playing up to his contract.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 05:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Trade him anyway.

You trade for him to make sure you get him.  If he is released he might sign somewhere else.

Since the team agreed to that when they signed him they would only have a problem if he was not earning his money and playing up to his contract.

1. The agent may put out word that the player will sit if traded.

2. Teams often still wait rather than giving up picks. Happens almost every year in sports. Surely you're not pretending this doesn't happen?

3. The OTHER team, Fred. The team looking to sign said player may not like the current structure or length of the contract. Contracts aren't one-size-fits-all.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 05:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2. Teams often still wait rather than giving up picks. Happens almost every year in sports. Surely you're not pretending this doesn't happen?

The only time they do that is if the player is overpaid and they don't want to take on the contract.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 02:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The only time they do that is if the player is overpaid and they don't want to take on the contract.

Facepalm
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 06:22 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: We had our own issues in free agency. The Antonio Bryant signing was a disaster for example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's because he was hurt when we signed him something the team should have known at the time.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 06:15 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: That's because he was hurt when we signed him something the team should have known at the time.

Actually at the end of the '09 season when he became a free agent he was playing and even having 100yd games.

He obviously got re-injured in the off season possibly after the Bengals signed him.  A guy does not go from having 100yd receiving games to not even being able to play a single snap without a new injury.
Reply/Quote