Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The way too early '22 mock drafts
(05-07-2021, 12:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: wonder if the thinking is replacing Bell or Bates?

Who knows? Bates is entering his final deal and is going to get a huge second contract. I know Bell became a hero around here after JuJu hit, but he struggled early on the season and tended to have low PFF scores. This season will be critical for him because Bell could be a potential cut after 2021 with the team saving $5.5 million.

(05-07-2021, 04:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think that's correct.
And he was a Bengal for 3 years, then went to NYG for 2, and played his final year in BUF.
He played a total of 6 years.
Definitely didn't live up to the 1st round Top 10 hype.

The Rivers pick will always be known more for the team completely missing out on their 3 DL targets. I remember Marvin actually looking irritated at the press conference after selected Rivers.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Really hard to say at this point.

If the draft were tomorrow, it's an easy choice to take an OG.

My gut tells me CB and TE will the major needs next year.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 05:39 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Wasn't Rivers the one that got cheap-shotted by Ward(?) on a crackback block and broke his jaw?

If I remember right, I think that kind of stunted his development.

That and Brandon Johnson was brought him for him on EVERY nickle down, even though Rivers' coverage numbers were better than BJ's across the board.

2009 and 2010, he was our best LB by far and they kept Thomas Howard and Manny Lawson over him. (Howard at least made way for Burfict, but Rivers could play SLB)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 12:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's also worth pointing out that a lot of these guys mentioned are projected to be Top 10 picks.
If the Bengals pick Top 10 again, it will considered a huge disappointment and likely means the current regime is gone.

Yep, but at least the next HC would have a lot of talent to work with.

I want us to win and make the Playoffs and win a game this year, but if we still suck that bad Taylor and co should be gone.

Would like any of Neal, Stingley, Thibodeux as BenZoo said would all be great if we suck that bad.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 04:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, but at least the next HC would have a lot of talent to work with.

I want us to win and make the Playoffs and win a game this year, but if we still suck that bad Taylor and co should be gone.

Would like any of Neal, Stingley, Thibodeux as BenZoo said would all be great if we suck that bad.

So Taylor is basically the Bengals' version of HC Hue Jackson.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 10:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So Taylor is basically the Bengals' version of HC Hue Jackson.

Shula .5   (not 2.0)
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 02:47 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Who knows? Bates is entering his final deal and is going to get a huge second contract. I know Bell became a hero around here after JuJu hit, but he struggled early on the season and tended to have low PFF scores. This season will be critical for him because Bell could be a potential cut after 2021 with the team saving $5.5 million.

The Rivers pick will always be known more for the team completely missing out on their 3 DL targets. I remember Marvin actually looking irritated at the press conference after selected Rivers.

i thought rivers was a decent pick at the time that was 2008 right?  the year after we just watched Lber after Lber after Lber go to IR....
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 04:10 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i thought rivers was a decent pick at the time that was 2008 right?  the year after we just watched Lber after Lber after Lber go to IR....

Rivers was a decent player, but we also had no DL. That was the same year we tried to trade for Shaun Rogers from Detroit. So many people were convinced that we'd land Sedrick Ellis, or Glenn Dorsey if he fell. Well they went 5th and 7th, which included the Saints trading up to land Ellis. Apparently the team was ready to take Derrick Harvey at #9 until the Ravens jumped up and took him away. 

I think the main issue people had with Rivers was that he seen as a player that had very little room for improvement. He had a high floor, but his ceiling was basically at the same level. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 01:16 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Rivers was a decent player, but we also had no DL. That was the same year we tried to trade for Shaun Rogers from Detroit. So many people were convinced that we'd land Sedrick Ellis, or Glenn Dorsey if he fell. Well they went 5th and 7th, which included the Saints trading up to land Ellis. Apparently the team was ready to take Derrick Harvey at #9 until the Ravens jumped up and took him away. 

I think the main issue people had with Rivers was that he seen as a player that had very little room for improvement. He had a high floor, but his ceiling was basically at the same level. 

right but at the time we just needed some Stability at the position that was hit hard the year before.   basically we had no healthy LBers at the time lol
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 10:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So Taylor is basically the Bengals' version of HC Hue Jackson.

So far, yeah, pretty much. Heck I bet Hue would of called the plays much better if he was the HC here.

Hope Taylor gets it together, he is young, you never know.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 06:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So far, yeah, pretty much. Heck I bet Hue would of called the plays much better if he was the HC here.

I feel like Taylor always tries to get too cute and makes things too complicated.  It's hard to explain but it's almost like he out-coaches himself.

It's late (early now) and I had a few to drink, but I think I remember a game where we were up late in the game, and we just had to eat some clock.  Taylor gets cute, tries to throw the ball on first down, and it's an incomplete pass with almost no time going off the clock (might have been a sack but pretty sure it was incomplete because I was so mad that the defense didn't have to use a timeout).  Second down will obviously be a run, so the defense just loads the box and stops us easy.  I think we tried to throw again on third down and it was incomplete, or another run and they called timeout with almost no time coming off the clock.  We punt, they come down, score, and win the game.

Those details might be way off but it was something along those lines because I remember posting about it.  

Hopefully, we have so much talent that it's impossible to screw up and we just move the ball with ease.  I do still worry about his game management just because of things like the example above.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 06:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So far, yeah, pretty much. Heck I bet Hue would of called the plays much better if he was the HC here.

I think Taylor is more just inexperienced than young.
He really didn't spend much time being an OC prior to coming to Bengals, and he decided he would be both the HC and call offensive plays.
Unfortunately, Mike Brown decided to give this guy multiple years to learn and grow, but it's at the expense of the team and fans suffering through very bad seasons. Seems like a heavy price to pay to get experience.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 09:49 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think Taylor is more just inexperienced than young.
He really didn't spend much time being an OC prior to coming to Bengals, and he decided he would be both the HC and call offensive plays.
Unfortunately, Mike Brown decided to give this guy multiple years to learn and grow, but it's at the expense of the team and fans suffering through very bad seasons. Seems like a heavy price to pay to get experience.

Yeah, just hope Zac gets his head on straight. Really cannot think any other way for me. otherwise we are screwed for a bit.
Reply/Quote
My guess at this point in the offseason is that the Bengals will NOT be selecting as high as others suspect. WTS, they tend to go CB in round 1 and depending on how Waynes performs this year, I think they go CB. Wish they would go guard but I know they won't.

Also, if Smith is as good as I think he is, he would take over at RT. Let's see how Williams plays because if he is injured again I say cut bait and go LT round 1.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Does anybody have an opinion on how deep the top of the DL class is? How many first rounders? It's gotta be better than this year's group.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2021, 11:33 PM)Bmore Birds Wrote: Does anybody have an opinion on how deep the top of the DL class is? How many first rounders? It's gotta be better than this year's group.

The site I follow says the strength next year at DL is at DE.  As many as 5 DE's could go in the top 15-20 picks.  DT is better than last year but that's not saying much.  EDGE is probably not quite as good as last year.  Looks like, in summary, DE is where it's at.    
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 12:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's also worth pointing out that a lot of these guys mentioned are projected to be Top 10 picks.
If the Bengals pick Top 10 again, it will considered a huge disappointment and likely means the current regime is gone.

We may very well trade up into the Top 10.   Tongue
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 04:53 PM)EatonFan Wrote: We may very well trade up into the Top 10.   Tongue

Maybe. But given they just drafted their franchise QB two years ago and their new WR1 this past Spring, I highly doubt they'd give up draft capital to trade up into the Top 10.
They'll much more likely stay pat to see who falls to them or trade back.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-30-2021, 08:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe. But given they just drafted their franchise QB two years ago and their new WR1 this past Spring, I highly doubt they'd give up draft capital to trade up into the Top 10.
They'll much more likely stay pat to see who falls to them or trade back.

"The Bengals will let the board come to them," - Geoff Hobson, EVERY offseason. 
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 04:53 PM)EatonFan Wrote: We may very well trade up into the Top 10.   Tongue

let me look up our extensive history of trading up into the top 10...

Please hold...
Reply/Quote