Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The young guys...
(03-19-2017, 11:04 AM)spazz70 Wrote: I agree with your statement about development but you do realize that Hardison has been on IR for both seasons?

Really hard to develop when you are injured.

Yes, which is why he has a lot to prove. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2017, 11:08 AM)spazz70 Wrote: We don't value guards...We have always paid OTs...the history is there to show this....I agree with letting Zeitler walk...12 million is way too much for a guard.

Yea more and more I'm not buying into the whole "X amount of money is too much for a position" because every year a new position value gets reset in free agency, and this year it just happened to be guard. You don't draft a guard in the first round simply to let him walk in free agency because his price is too rich.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2017, 11:16 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Yea more and more I'm not buying into the whole "X amount of money is too much for a position" because every year a new position value gets reset in free agency, and this year it just happened to be guard. You don't draft a guard in the first round simply to let him walk in free agency because his price is too rich.

The Patriots do it all the time but it is not OK for the Bengals....they do it with every position but they also draft and develop better and trade guys before that time....   More than anything they trade them...Wilfork, Seymour, Branch, Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, Matt Cassell and I am sure a lot more.  They let plenty walk also...Possibly Hightower this year, Mankins and the other LBer last year.  Of course, the Patriots have the advantage both ways, other teams seek their players and players want to come play there for a chance at a ring.  
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 08:39 PM)eoxyod Wrote: If I'm picking one from each of those lists:

WJ3 will be at least a top 10 CB in the league
Boyd will be a favorite and be super reliable for us

This.
Reply/Quote
DeShawn Williams has flashed a bit at DT.

We have a bunch of guys at DT who have potential, but have not shown much yet (Hardison, Billings, Williams). We really need oneof thjose guys to step up big time. Plus I am sure we will draft a DT or 2 this year.

Bengals have spent a lot of higher picks on DTs the last few years and missed on almost all of them. Really a bad satreak of drafting D-linemen after getting both Dunlap and Atkins in '10.
Reply/Quote
With Jackson's injury happening early enough, hopefully he was able to condition himself to be able to take a big step to join Shaw and Dennard as young guys in the mix at corner, with Jackson eventually starting. Sign me up for him and Billings as guys that will be fun to watch either way in 2017. Fisher hasn't looked like anything special yet, but with the OL so in flux I think he will be VERY valuable no matter if its LT by default, RT with improved run blocking or 3rd tackle if Ogbuehi improves and they draft a RT.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 08:39 PM)eoxyod Wrote: WJ3 will be at least a top 10 CB in the league

Really? The guy has yet to take an NFL snap and you have him being a top 10 corner? On this team maybe....not in the league.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 08:01 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Really? The guy has yet to take an NFL snap and you have him being a top 10 corner? On this team maybe....not in the league.

I never said at this moment, I'm saying will be. He has all the talent, speed, technique, and ability to read WRs he will need. We will love him when he's starting
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 03:30 PM)eoxyod Wrote: I never said at this moment, I'm saying will be. He has all the talent, speed, technique, and ability to read WRs he will need. We will love him when he's starting

Yeah, I got what you are saying, and I say that's a big leap of faith for someone we have not seen take a snap yet. The number of great college players with great skills who do not make the transition to the NFL is staggering. Obviously, I hope you are right and he becomes all that, but I think it's way to early to be making those predictions....
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 07:37 PM)spazz70 Wrote: So, I saw another thread about "breakout players"....I am just wondering who your favorite would be for these guys being the young core of the team of the future...

Coming back from injury
Billings, Hardison, WJIII

Need to prove themselves, take the next step and shine.
Ogbuehi, Westermann, Fisher, Fejedelem, Vigil, Boyd, Core, Dawson, Russell

Feel free to mention any others

Personally I would love for CedO and Fisher to turn into studs

Billings of course is my guy. I truly believe this guy could be special all on his own in the future with his strength
and ability to both stop the run, rush the passer and chase down players. He was deceptively fast in college for his
size. Dude just jumped out of the film. If he could learn a move or two look out. He might not even need to with
his strength though.

WJ3 had the best ball skills in last years draft of any CB IMHO. He also has great length and good speed with fluid
hips. To get both Billings and WJ3 in one draft was something i could of never saw happening.

Of those other guys i see being great is definately Core to me. He has the size, speed and physicality to become
one hell of a Receiver. I love Boyd too, he just does not have Core's speed, size or physicality. But both could do
well especially with Urban coaching them up.

If Og turns into a stud and we draft a good Center this team could be great actually, big if though.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 04:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Billings of course is my guy. I truly believe this guy could be special all on his own in the future with his strength
and ability to both stop the run, rush the passer and chase down players. He was deceptively fast in college for his
size. Dude just jumped out of the film. If he could learn a move or two look out. He might not even need to with
his strength though.

Who else did we have on that D line that was 6'8", one of the strongest guys on the team, who ran a sub 4.5. 40.... (hint, he's no in Indy). All the tangibles in the world are great but until we see it on the field, it's all meaningless. Be it Billings, Radio, whoever....
Reply/Quote
Dennard if they let him play.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 03:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, I got what you are saying, and I say that's a big leap of faith for someone we have not seen take a snap yet. The number of great college players with great skills who do not make the transition to the NFL is staggering. Obviously, I hope you are right and he becomes all that, but I think it's way to early to be making those predictions....

You can't be too early to make a prediction lol. That's what a prediction is for. I know my corners I swear 
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 07:39 PM)eoxyod Wrote: You can't be too early to make a prediction lol. That's what a prediction is for. I know my corners I swear 

Hey, I hope and pray you turn out right on this.... Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 05:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Who else did we have on that D line that was 6'8", one of the strongest guys on the team, who ran a sub 4.5. 40.... (hint, he's no in Indy). All the tangibles in the world are great but until we see it on the field, it's all meaningless. Be it Billings, Radio, whoever....

Come on Sled, comparing Hunt to Billings is laughable dude.

Hunt played End and could never bend and quit on plays too early. Plus Hunt just wasn't a football player.

Billings plays DT is much shorter so he can get lower than his man and can squat a car.

Not to mention was a great run stopper in college with deceiving quickness and pass rushing ability.

Billings is not just a freak athlete, the dude can play football.

I would understand your point on intangibles if Billings was only a weight lifter.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2017, 11:36 AM)spazz70 Wrote: The Patriots do it all the time but it is not OK for the Bengals....they do it with every position but they also draft and develop better and trade guys before that time....   More than anything they trade them...Wilfork, Seymour, Branch, Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, Matt Cassell and I am sure a lot more.  They let plenty walk also...Possibly Hightower this year, Mankins and the other LBer last year.  Of course, the Patriots have the advantage both ways, other teams seek their players and players want to come play there for a chance at a ring.  

The Pats shouldn't be used for any such comparisons. It just doesn't seem like it matters who they trot out, the machine just keeps rolling.

Normal teams don't have it so easy. They need good players.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 03:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, I got what you are saying, and I say that's a big leap of faith for someone we have not seen take a snap yet. The number of great college players with great skills who do not make the transition to the NFL is staggering. Obviously, I hope you are right and he becomes all that, but I think it's way to early to be making those predictions....

Remember when we all thought Dennard was going to be a true shut down corner, when Marvin said he was the best rookie cornerback he has ever seen?  I agree, it is WAY to early to talk about him being a top ten corner.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 12:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Come on Sled, comparing Hunt to Billings is laughable dude.

Hunt played End and could never bend and quit on plays too early. Plus Hunt just wasn't a football player.

Billings plays DT is much shorter so he can get lower than his man and can squat a car.

Not to mention was a great run stopper in college with deceiving quickness and pass rushing ability.

Billings is not just a freak athlete, the dude can play football.

I would understand your point on intangibles if Billings was only a weight lifter.

The point is, no matter how gifted an athlete is and how well they do in college, there are always those who struggle to make the transition to the pros. I'm not saying Billings will be one of those, but it's too early to say he won't....
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 01:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The point is, no matter how gifted an athlete is and how well they do in college, there are always those who struggle to make the transition to the pros. I'm not saying Billings will be one of those, but it's too early to say he won't....

Very true, i will be surprised if he doesn't make the transition well after hearing the positive news on his injury though..

All he has to do initially is be better than Peko, i think he can handle that. Cool
Reply/Quote
Eh... Peko is very underated on this board. For one thing, he stays healthy and is on the field. That's step one for Billings to surpass....
Reply/Quote