Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Theory about AJ - has he given up?
I have this sinking feeling that AJ is done for the season.
I also feel that even if he was healthy enough to play, he wouldn't, and just
continue to be "injured." Considering the circumstances, I don't blame him. I suspect this could be his "Carson Palmer" moment, but instead of outright protests and ultimatums, he's using injury instead.
Reply/Quote
I don't believe that a player of the character and integrity of an AJ Green would "give up". Given the circumstances of our current situation, I could see how his people might advise him to go ahead and get a surgery or procedure done, rather than putting it off until the offseason. If this team appeared confident, and competitive with league leaders, I could absolutely see him toughing it out for the team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 12:38 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I have this sinking feeling that AJ is done for the season.
continue to be "injured." Considering the circumstances, I don't blame him. I suspect this could be his "Carson Palmer" moment, but instead of outright protests and ultimatums, he's using injury instead.

Based on what?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Yeah, that makes more sense...
It's basically the same thing, but to a lesser degree, and takes any "giving up" and questions about his character completely out of the equation.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 12:54 PM)McC Wrote: Based on what?

Complete "gut feeling" and speculation on my part.
Reply/Quote
SpacI unfortunately have the same gut feeling about AJ. I live in northeastern Ohio and Joe Haden did the same thing to the Browns a few years ago.He had a concussion that strangely never healed according to his private doctor and when the team had enough and said he was cleared to play he and his doctor came up with another suspicious convenient injury. The next year after signing with the Steelers he was suddenly healthy again .
Reply/Quote
I don’t think k he has given up. However, I do believe his pain tolerance is low in comparison to many other players in the league.

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 01:17 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I don’t think k he has given up. However, I do believe his pain tolerance is low in comparison to many other players in the league.

But the player is not usually the one who makes the call on when he is ready to play again.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 01:17 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I don’t think k he has given up. However, I do believe his pain tolerance is low in comparison to many other players in the league.

He could have a low pain tolerance. I can also believe that since WR is the most "diva" position in the NFL (yes, AJ is NOT a diva) and there is tons of trash talk all game between a WR and CB covering him, maybe since he's not 100% he's not in the mood to hear some mid-tier CB talk smack to him about how he's been dominating him when in fact the injury is hindering his performance? A split second can mean the difference between a huge gain or an interception and with any type of leg or foot injury to a WR, this split second can be "lost". 

The question I have is, if he was so close to playing last week, why can't he play this week? If he doesn't play next week, there are going to be a lot more eyebrows raised around here. 
Reply/Quote
AJ throwing in the towel ? I really doubt it. Playing it smart and considering all options ? I'd say yes

AJ's 30 years old and probably only has a few good years left, I wouldn't blame him all things considered if he played it safe.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 01:19 PM)McC Wrote: But the player is not usually the one who makes the call on when he is ready to play again.

But the player is the one relaying how he “feels” to the coaches. I’m not saying he isn’t injured, as I know toe injuries can be tough. I’m just wondering how many other players might play through the same symptoms. Maybe none, who knows. I just get the feeling that AJ’s pain tolerance and willingness to play through being uncomfortable might be a tad lower than that of other players.

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 01:33 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: But the player is the one relaying how he “feels” to the coaches. I’m not saying he isn’t injured, as I know toe injuries can be tough. I’m just wondering how many other players might play through the same symptoms. Maybe none, who knows. I just get the feeling that AJ’s pain tolerance and willingness to play through being uncomfortable might be a tad lower than that of other players.

An injured toe would make life pretty hard for a receiver.

I think what's really at play here, and in all the other little injuries that that take way too long to heal is that it is the Bengals policy to lie their asses off about injury severity.

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 01:40 PM)McC Wrote: An injured toe would make life pretty hard for a receiver.

I think what's really at play here, and in all the other little injuries that that take way too long to heal is that it is the Bengals policy to lie their asses off about injury severity.

All true, no argument from me.

Reply/Quote
I had that feeling (that he was done for the year) when the injury was first announced. Shame on the Bengals' FO for not picking up a WR when we were 5-3 heading into a BYE with our star WR injured. They're the ones who "gave up"...not AJ.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Come on guys. He has turf toe. It's sprained ligaments in his big toe, no different than if he sprained an MCL/ACL in a knee, it's 6-8 weeks for the ligaments to heal depending on damage. Since surgery was considered and probably happening after the season, I'd wager it was a pretty significant amount of damage. You go try and be an NFL WR when you can't push off with one of your feet. You think you'll be helping or hurting your team?

I'd argue, we are seeing his decline, not that he has given up. He's on the wrong side of 30 and injuries are starting to take their toll.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 01:41 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: All true, no argument from me.

This goes all the way back to Richie Braham, whose "bruised knee" ended his career.

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 01:33 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: But the player is the one relaying how he “feels” to the coaches. I’m not saying he isn’t injured, as I know toe injuries can be tough. I’m just wondering how many other players might play through the same symptoms. Maybe none, who knows. I just get the feeling that AJ’s pain tolerance and willingness to play through being uncomfortable might be a tad lower than that of other players.

WRs who play through turf toe end up being bad WRs.  They can't push off that foot, they can't make cuts, their jumping ability is limited, they lose speed.  The last thing we need to have happen is the injury to become chronic.

He is right in the window for recovery from a serious grade 2 or a mild grade 3 injury

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Sometimes it’s good to have an injury to avoid getting on board a sinking ship. I hope I’m wrong about AJ but it does seem a lot like Joe Haden. I’m a Bengals fan since the late 70’s but every one up here in northeastern Ohio defended Joe because he too was a great guy and did a lot of good charity work for the city of Cleveland until everybody realized his injuries were just a sham.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 12:38 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I have this sinking feeling that AJ is done for the season.

Looking at all the multiplying injuries on the team, I don't think he's the only one using the Carson injury card, if indeed it is what's happening.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 01:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I had that feeling (that he was done for the year) when the injury was first announced. Shame on the Bengals' FO for not picking up a WR when we were 5-3 heading into a BYE with our star WR injured. They're the ones who "gave up"...not AJ.

Same feeling. I think he's hurt pretty bad and they just don't want to announce it...probably so people keep buying tickets.
Reply/Quote