Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
There’s a Way to Wake Up the Offensive Line — But it’s Too Mean
Playing "angry" isn't going to solve the problems. It's a technique issue, not an aggression issue. There is also a communication problem. The guards really, really stink. Jordan simply isn't an NFL quality guard and neither is Redmond. Hart is actually a very aggressive run blocker, but he stinks at pass block. He can't hand fight, he can't hold against a bullrush, he can't do much well when it comes to pass pro. The linemen were also letting blitzers up the middle free when they should be letting the wide man rush free. There is just a myriad of problems of here.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 05:14 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: When your friend does something wrong, i'd like you to run and push him down on the ground, then come back and tell me how that went. 

A friend will pick you up when you fall down. A best friend would pick you up when you fall down and then proceed to trip you all over again.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 10:26 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes you are missing something.  Read my post that you quoted.

*hint* It is in thr middle of the second line.

Now you've got me rereading your posts. Why do you post angry? The OP is surely tongue-in-cheek. 
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
When defensive backs are getting so many sacks and QB hits it is not because they are overpowering the O-linemen.

We saw how important scheme was last year when we turned around the running game midseason without changing players. Right now a lot of the pressure is coming from blitzes and stunts by the D-linemen. Thy are getting outcoached more than overpowered.

I also believe that Burrow is forced to hold onto the ball too long because our passing schemes don't get receivers open. Andy Dalton did not look that bad in 2018, but last year he was total shit. I don't believe he forgot how to play QB in just one offseason. It would help eliminate some sacks if Burrow threw the ball away more, but you can't get first downs by throwing the ball away all the time either.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 11:22 AM)Interceptor Wrote: A friend will pick you up when you fall down. A best friend would pick you up when you fall down and then proceed to trip you all over again.

If my best friend did that, I'd tell them off, tell them to grow the **** up and depending on the situation, I'd tell them to find their own way home/fix their own problem/etc.

That is not, "friendly," attitude/behaviour.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Scheme is at least part of the problem. When you see defenders constantly flying in unblocked that is schematic not linemen being pushed around. Likewise when receivers only rarely are open it is scheme. Or when we almost never break even somewhat big runs.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 04:56 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: While I highly doubt Lou Anarumo would do this and I doubt even more Zac Taylor would allow it, the key to better offensive line play lies with the defense in practice.  Now we all know most offense vs. defense practice, per NFLPA rules, is limited to “walk through” type reps with very little actual full out hitting permitted. In scrimmage situations while in pads hitting is permitted but no one goes full out.  

However, on the first play in practice against the offense I suggest the defensive line just run a full out full strength bull rush into the offensive line; just knock them on their rear ends.  Hard.  Those offensive linemen might even get up angry — and they need to play that way.  I have no idea why the Bengals even pay for those sled-like blocking apparatuses when the line always moves backwards!

How bout when the offensive line isn't ready the defensive players pants them during the Star Spangled Banner before the game starts against the Colts?
Reply/Quote
I guess I'm just not a subscriber to the Green Lantern theory of athletic success where one just has to dig down deep, tap untold depths of will power, and manifest an overpowering ability to run block.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 10:06 PM)Joelist Wrote: When you see defenders constantly flying in unblocked that is schematic not linemen being pushed around. 

This.

Over a third of our sacks allowed (7.5 of 22) have been to defensive backs.  We may not have the strongest O-limen in the league, but they are not being overpowered by cornerbacks and safeties.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 05:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Over a third of our sacks allowed (7.5 of 22) have been to defensive backs.  We may not have the strongest O-limen in the league, but they are not being overpowered by cornerbacks and safeties.

5 of those 7 came against the Ravens. No the Line is not only having miscues they getting beat too and the lack of run game success. The offensive line has been bad.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 05:15 PM)Synric Wrote: 5 of those 7 came against the Ravens.

So?

If their D-line was just manhandling our O-line they would have gotten more than 2 sacks.

Not saying our O-line is good, but a lot of the sacks are on coaching and mental mistakes.
Reply/Quote
Not everyone can be Kobe/Michael and yell/punch their teammates to get the best out of them.

Like MJ's quote, those others, don't win rings. 

Let's sit and wonder if Brady is always yelling nice things to his teammates, his face says otherwise.

LBJ might be the exception, the greatest QB of all time does not appear to be a nice guy all the time. They're not all friends with each other out there.

MJ's reasoning was the way they practiced made games easy. Sure when you have one of the history's most potent offensive force and defensive force at the same time, nobody could have compared anyway.

e.g. No wonder our running game sucks ass, they're practicing against our defense all the time. Instead of yelling at teammates maybe they should yell at people responsible for hiring them. I have a few coworkers who shouldn't be employed, but it doesn't affect me. Imagine your coworker's poor performance affects your salary and/or health lol.

Also, tell Doc Rivers that motivational speeches don't work. Words matter, and some people don't respond the same to nice words or mean words. There's a lot more to their performance on the field/court than what we see.

LBJ's excellence is that much more considering he doesn't seem like the type to get angry at his teammates often (at least, it's not necessarily publicized).
Reply/Quote
Playing angry isn't going to help the line. If the line is playing over-aggressive then there's a possibility that they blow even more assignments. They have to be locked in to the scheme and the game plan. The motivation to get better and grow as a player will lead to improvement. If they don't have that motivation then they shouldn't be here. Plowing over them in practice isn't going to do anything.

It would be like telling a golfer who's struggling to go out there and just hit it as hard as you can regardless of where the tee is.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 08:28 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: Playing angry isn't going to help the line. If the line is playing over-aggressive then there's a possibility that they blow even more assignments. They have to be locked in to the scheme and the game plan. The motivation to get better and grow as a player will lead to improvement. If they don't have that motivation then they shouldn't be here. Plowing over them in practice isn't going to do anything.

It would be like telling a golfer who's struggling to go out there and just hit it as hard as you can regardless of where the tee is.

Bad analogy, Bryson Dechambeau is killing everyone with that mentality, you could categorize him as struggling before that lol. Maybe an NFL team should hire him as a consultant with his physics degree/brain he would understand bulking up and leverage more than our coaches, considering how his changes have affected his golf game.

Who holds them accountable, the coaches? Lol. Like you're making a **** ton of money. Maybe you shouldn't be employed here. There is seriously nobody else out there? Some younger people also get motivated when they're scared to lose their job because the backup is playing better. We lose so many games with our starters, I question if our backups would be backups on other teams (just like Andy would have probably not started for any other team for his full tenure here?).

I go back to my other point though, not everyone reacts the same to the way they're managed. Some people need to be yelled at, some don't want it at all. Some people don't need it. That's why we can wonder if the way Arians coaches will grind Brady or not vs. how Belichick did for so long.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 08:31 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Bad analogy, Bryson Dechambeau is killing everyone with that mentality, you could categorize him as struggling before that lol. Maybe an NFL team should hire him as a consultant with his physics degree/brain he would understand bulking up and leverage more than our coaches, considering how his changes have affected his golf game.

Who holds them accountable, the coaches? Lol. Like you're making a **** ton of money. Maybe you shouldn't be employed here. There is seriously nobody else out there? Some younger people also get motivated when they're scared to lose their job because the backup is playing better. We lose so many games with our starters, I question if our backups would be backups on other teams (just like Andy would have probably not started for any other team for his full tenure here?).

I go back to my other point though, not everyone reacts the same to the way they're managed. Some people need to be yelled at, some don't want it at all. Some people don't need it. That's why we can wonder if the way Arians coaches will grind Brady or not vs. how Belichick did for so long.

I would argue that Dechambeau is the exception, not the rule. There are tons of guys out there who can smoke the ball that don't win anything or even sniff the tour. You must've missed the part where I said that if the players aren't motivated to improve then they shouldn't be here. 

There seems to be a lot of complacency in the organization and until that changes at the top, I don't think it's going to change much on the field. I hope Burrow's mentality changes that around, but I worry that he'll just fall into recent Bengalism like the rest. 

The talent is not good on the OL, the scheme is not good on the OL. There's no chicken or egg here. If the D-Line beats up on the O-Line in practice they're just doing what everyone else does. It's just all bad right now on the O-Line. 
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote