Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
White people triggered over Netflix!
(02-11-2017, 11:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'd like to say that matters to me, but it doesn't.

If just making this series from a three year old movie has upset a bunch of racists I'm all for it.  

Not because it causes any kind of greater divide.  No sir.  But because it shows people are on both sides of the divide (but near it) all the whack jobs who are running away from it screaming.  Both sides.

If a black tells someone that can never trust white people and to attack them....they need called out on that too.

The people who don't understand that we can just treat each other as equals and hate each other for real reasons other than skin tone deserve to be upset.

It's a comedy series.  On Netflix.

If Presidential policy doesn't upset people this shouldn't either.   ThumbsUp

What makes them racists?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-12-2017, 01:04 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: A friend of mine sent me this link, I think this guy does a good job of rationally addressing this whole issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt_tUnf6T2E

Yeah he makes sense.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-13-2017, 11:16 AM)michaelsean Wrote: What makes them racists?

The fact that they don't agree with him, duh.

IMHO being white and mad that blacks are poking fun at them.

Same as if it were the other way around.

Edit: Forgot to add: Without even watching it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-13-2017, 12:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: IMHO being white and mad that blacks are poking fun at them.

Same as if it were the other way around.

Edit:  Forgot to add: Without even watching it.

That's not being racist.  

White Supremacists on twitter losing their shit and screaming "white genocide" over tongue in cheek satire is funny, but to address the show itself, which I haven't seen the trailer of or the movie, I am not sure if the goal can be achieved through these means.

Those who understand the racial inequality in this country do not need shock satire to open their eyes. It may help them understand the degree to which the inequality exists, but they're already the population that is open to addressing these issues. The working class white population that has been fed the line that lazy minorities are taking their jobs, money, benefits, etc are suffering from the changing economy and they are not fully recovered from the recession. So when you tell them that they are privileged, they do not understand how they can be privileged when they're barely getting by.

The economic struggles of lower and middle class white people needs to be compared to the economic struggles of lower and middle class minorities, and any addressing of the other side of racial inequality needs to be presented not with accusations or attacks, but with an appeal to empathize.

With that, I present a good piece from CNN for black history month

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2017/02/us/first-time-i-realized-i-was-black/
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-13-2017, 12:35 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That's not being racist.  
You are correct.

It's being over-sensitive..
We should be able to joke and laugh at everyone, especially ourselves.
(02-13-2017, 12:35 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That's not being racist.  

(02-13-2017, 12:52 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: You are correct.

It's being over-sensitive..
We should be able to joke and laugh at everyone, especially ourselves.

I didn't say they were "being racists".  I said they WERE racists.

ThumbsUp
(02-13-2017, 01:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: I didn't say they were "being racists".  I said they WERE racists.

ThumbsUp

Well that's much more rational.  Due to a non-racist act you have determined they are racists.

(02-13-2017, 02:12 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well that's much more rational.  Due to a non-racist act you have determined they are racists.

No.  Based on their reaction they are clearly racist.

Feel free to feel otherwise.
(02-13-2017, 02:31 PM)GMDino Wrote: No.  Based on their reaction they are clearly racist.

Be careful, Mike !
It's a liberal trap !
He's trying to make you talk about feelings.
(02-13-2017, 02:31 PM)GMDino Wrote: No.  Based on their reaction they are clearly racist.

I don't think there's a lot of liberals here who would even agree with that.

(02-13-2017, 02:39 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Be careful, Mike !
It's a liberal trap !

Dude's always trying to make a girlie-man of me.

(02-13-2017, 02:58 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't think there's a lot of liberals here who would even agree with that.

Oh well.  Not the first time someone (or a group) disagreed with me.

But let's be clear:  Not every person calling for a boycott of Netflix over the show is a racist, probably.

Just a lot of racists calling for a boycott of Netflix over the show.   Smirk
(02-13-2017, 02:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Dude's always trying to make a girlie-man of me.
Do you think there's some underlying issues there ?
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Mellow

They're white
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(02-13-2017, 02:39 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Be careful, Mike !
It's a liberal trap !

Now he's going to have to go clean his gun and mutter for a whole afternoon to shake them!   Ninja
(02-13-2017, 06:18 PM)GMDino Wrote:

Now he's going to have to go clean his gun and mutter for a whole afternoon to shake them!   Ninja
So the movie is on Hulu so I just watched it. Pretty good movie. Spoilers follow.

"Dear White People" refers to a radio show that one of the main character hosts in which she, as a black student, complains about generic appropriation of black culture. Within minutes, a white caller questions the double standard of the name. We'll later found out this is a guy she is seeing who challenges her on her unwillingness to go public with their relationship for fear of seeming inauthentic with her black friends.

This theme of what is means to "be black" is the basis of the movie. It's not some white hate film, though tone deaf white people make appearances and often serve as the catalyst for the challenges of the black students. Their four main characters have their authenticity as members of the black community tested by white students, black students, and each other, exposing the reality that there is no one way to "be black".

The climax of the movie is a party thrown by the satire magazine at the school, run by the son of the white President of the university. An invite goes out inviting people to a "black party", where they are encouraged to show up in FUBU, wear XXXL shirts, and bring purple drank and chicken. It pokes fun at the recent incidents on college campuses of white kids dressing in black face. Ultimately the party is crashed by the black student union and the police shut it down after fights break out. The son of the President arrives midway through completely thrown off by the people there and how they're dressed, confused but unwilling to do anything because he lives for shock satire.

An investigation later occurs and it is suggested by the director that the host of "Dear White People" hacked the magazine's Facebook account and sent the invite that encouraged the black face costumes as a means of making a scene, which she uses as a the premise for her student film. The desire of black people to take from white culture and white people to take from black culture is discussed, and the movie ends with a black reality TV producer, who through out the movie was casting a show about black people in mostly white worlds (school/work), discussing the situation with the administration of the school, saying that he was interested in a reality show about the school, and would pay, because while he can make money off stereotypical ghetto black kids, America loves watching racist white people even more, with the director suggesting that the media tries to boil down white and black people into these little stereotypes that consumers want to see.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]